Wikipedia workflow (alternate)

Quite a simple workflow to search articles on wikipedia (English version). Inspired by a similar workflow here, but it appears the download link is broken...

titles.png

Based on feedback from folks, I have an updated version of this workflow. It allows you to

• Search against regional Wikipedia sites. E.g. to search against German wikipedia, type "w de what to search for"
  • i.e. "w <language code> <search term>"
  • Language codes are from Wikipedia.
  • You can also configure it to search against just one default Wikipedia by modifying the script filter as mentioned in the workflow.
  • Against each result, a snippet of the text from the wiki page is displayed

Remember, you can press the Shift key against a search result to quickly view the associated web page from within Alfred.

Try the new version and let me know your comments.

Q: How can I set one language as the default?

Open the workflow's Script Filter in Alfred, and follow the steps mentioned in there.

Edited by Benzi

Could you please try downloading and installing the workflow again? This will overwrite your changes so you need to change "en.wiki" back to to "de.wiki" again. Please try searching again and see if it works.

If its still not working, let me know if possible what you are searching for and I will try to check at my end. There was a small issue (maybe related to what you reported) with the script which was fixed.

Thanks!

wow.. thats was fast.  ;)  thanks.

changed all the en.wiki to de.wiki in the w.py file.

now safari and the de. wiki websites opens.

but searching for i.e. frankfurt oder frankfurt am main doesn't show a result in alfred.

also with names like "dirk" "dirk bach"

thanks for you passionate work and sharing.

Thank you very much!

I would like to use this for english and german wikipedia, so I put both in. You can chose by typing "wiki en" or "wiki de". Have fun, germans: http://d.pr/f/LS3q

I was just about to try and implement the same thing for Hebrew, glad someone already did the hard work for me  :P .

Oddly enough, I can't get it to work in Hebrew though, I presume it has something to do with the script's encoding, which I wasn't able to change to UTF-8 for some reason and still have the script working.

Would be more than glad if someone could look into this and maybe help me solve this :).

I was just about to try and implement the same thing for Hebrew, glad someone already did the hard work for me  :P .

Oddly enough, I can't get it to work in Hebrew though, I presume it has something to do with the script's encoding, which I wasn't able to change to UTF-8 for some reason and still have the script working.

Would be more than glad if someone could look into this and maybe help me solve this :).

Well, I think the encoding is part of the problems I face with the de.wikipedia-API. Some words like "Müller" doesn't seem to work properly with this workflow. I couldn't solve this by now and I haven't got the greatest knowledge about python (honestly: I have kind of no knowledge about python ;) ).

Maybe someone else could help us?

Well... I am not very strong with Python either ;), but the issue was to do with Unicode encoding. So words like "Müller" were failing. I have updated my original workflow with some modifications and is available in the original download link.

Since many have modified the workflow, the code change was done in w.py file, a snippet is below

def resultParse(item):    
    item_arg = u'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/' + urllib.quote(item['title'].encode("utf8"))
    return {
        'uid': "." + item['title'],
        'arg': item_arg,
        'title': item['title'],
        'subtitle': 'Read article on ' + item['title'],
        'icon': 'icon.png',
    }

As you can see, its against the English version of Wikipedia. Please check and let me know if this is of any use. 

Anyways, got to read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Müller_(botanist)  :)

nice work~

I change "en.wiki" to "zh.wiki" doesn't work. Can you give me some help?

Thx a lot.

Hi there,

Can you try downloading the latest workflow from my original download link?

After that, you need to change en.wiki to zh.wiki in two places in w.py.

in search_for()
    rt_api = "http://zh.wikipedia.org/w/api.php"

in resultParse()
    item_arg = u'http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/' + urllib.quote(item['title'].encode("utf8"))

I tried that and looked up http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/香港最高電影票房收入列表 (well to be honest, I just typed in some Chinese characters and that was one of the search results... I have no clue what that page is about  :) )

Hi there,

Can you try downloading the latest workflow from my original download link?

After that, you need to change en.wiki to zh.wiki in two places in w.py.

in search_for()
    rt_api = "http://zh.wikipedia.org/w/api.php"

in resultParse()
    item_arg = u'http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/' + urllib.quote(item['title'].encode("utf8"))

I tried that and looked up http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/香港最高電影票房收入列表 (well to be honest, I just typed in some Chinese characters and that was one of the search results... I have no clue what that page is about  :) )

Thanks for the change.

I combined both versions into this. Basically allows "w en <query>" for English Wikipedia and "w he <query>" for Hebrew Wikipedia.

You can easily change and duplicate for more languages, just look at the w_he.py file in the workflow and replace every occurrence of "he" with your language's shortened term.

Also, I'm sure the main script by Benzi can be changed like so that it'll accept another parameter for language, but I too lazy to change it  ^_^ .

Basically you'll need to add another parameter for both the search_for and the resultParse functions, that'll be the language, than parse the query into the first word (which'll be the language), and the rest, which'll be the rest of the query (the actual query that'll be passed on to Wikipedia to be searched for).

Hi all, thanks to all your feedback,  I have created a new version put up here, with slightly better support for multi language search.  See the first post in this topic for details and try it out.

Hi Benzi,

I just installed your workflow. It doesn't matter what language I choose, all the results I see are from 'en.wikipedia.org.' (Tried with 'es' and 'it', btw). How can I fix this? (I installed the latest version you uploaded).

Hi, is it possible that this workflow ignores two word search terms in that it only takes the first term. For example when you search for people by first name and last name, it does not seem to matter what the last name is. Anyone else seeing this?

Hi, is it possible that this workflow ignores two word search terms in that it only takes the first term. For example when you search for people by first name and last name, it does not seem to matter what the last name is. Anyone else seeing this?

That's right, but you can easily work around that by typing a + or - instead of a blank. Instead of "George Washington" just type "George+Washington".

That's right, but you can easily work around that by typing a + or - instead of a blank. Instead of "George Washington" just type "George+Washington".

For the two word issue, can you please downloading the version again? I noticed this myself a bit late, but I hope this is now fixed.

If you have en setup as default, searching for "muller thomas" should bring up "Thomas Müller" as follows

twowords.png

For the two word issue, can you please downloading the version again? I noticed this myself a bit late, but I hope this is now fixed.

If you have en setup as default, searching for "muller thomas" should bring up "Thomas Müller" as follows

The new version works perfectly, tried both English and Hebrew. Thanks :).

Edited by The_Ben

The new version works perfectly. I basically use it to replace alfred's standard wikipedia search. Instead of using it as multi-language, I have installed it several times, each with a fixed language so that keywords wiki (for english), wikifr, wikiar each give me the corresponding wikipedia search option (this could, of course, also all be put in one workflow..... Thanks very much

Hi Benzi,

I just installed your workflow. It doesn't matter what language I choose, all the results I see are from 'en.wikipedia.org.' (Tried with 'es' and 'it', btw). How can I fix this? (I installed the latest version you uploaded).

*bump*

Downloaded and reinstalled again, but keep having the same problem. Any ideas on how to fix it?

*bump*

Downloaded and reinstalled again, but keep having the same problem. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Sorry, I think I missed to see your original post.

Just to check, did you download the updated version (there are two download links in the original post) - the updated one is here (The extension name is Wikipedia ML).

Sorry, I think I missed to see your original post.

Just to check, did you download the updated version (there are two download links in the original post) - the updated one is here (The extension name is Wikipedia ML).

Yes, that's exactly the one I reinstalled, your updated version.

ETA: Is there anything else I need to delete besides the workflow before reinstalling? Not sure if I followed all the steps in the reinstall.

Edited by Southgirl