iMessage focus with part of name/handle

Hi guys,

i often check my iMessages to see if someone is online.

With this workflow you can search for people based on their name / handle (email / telephone / etc) and full name

If it's a gtalk users it displays the online status

When you enter it focusses the iMessages app, selects the user and you're ready to type a message.

jVbDbXaWWgj13pu1pPoW9Jc0Z.png

Q9o2tttZavHiA94MsTud4EM7w.png

todo: the other protocol (bonjour) but let me know if anyone's interested.

Let me know what you think of it 

Download 0.01

Edited by JvdMeulen

sorry, i meant searching with a name wont show a contacts phone numbers that are valid for imsg only the email handle. correct? u have to search by # or by email. 

any way to just use a contacts name for iMessaging the email or phone number? 

great workflow by the way.. 

To me it does phonenumbers too (see images at the top) or am i misunderstanding you?

I was trying to accomplish something similar, but I was hoping to use simpler inputs and methods:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/1687-workflow-to-message-a-specific-contact/

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/1741-how-to-launch-an-app-messages-using-a-specific-contact-from-contacts/

I guess I'm a little flummoxed that such a seemingly simple task would require so much scripting. Alfred has email-a-specific-contact built in, so why not message-a-specific-contact as well?

Hoi,

i like the workflow to a lot! Thank you very much for it!

Sending Text through it would be even better, that´s true. But i ilke that i just land exactly on the person i want to write and can start typing.

I added a Facebook Chat account this morning via Jabber and since then the workflow takes like several minutes to find the name.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s105/sh/eeb8317d-06b3-4d0e-b8cd-d364724a8efd/b46e4a536647e0ee7c4a54c2b6306ac9

Starting Messages.app... please wait.

Before adding facebook it worked perfect. I assume, of course, that FB is the reason, but i would like to know why and to keep FB also...

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

• 2 months later...

So far, it seems to work great, thank you for this. May I suggest Alleyoop integration?

Also, I think it’d be interesting that if you typed “im” (without a name), it would just show the currently online contacts (this would only make sense for the gmail contacts, naturally).

Yeah, currently online contacts as well as contacts with open conversations (iMessage mostly), if possible. I use this mainly to quickly go to an open conversation as the keyboard shortcuts is slow, and built-in search is useless (I also re-mapped to Chatology).

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Love this workflow and use it since 2013 but sadly it broke with installing Big Sur.

[20:28:29.115] iMessages[Script Filter] Queuing argument ''
[20:28:29.266] iMessages[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[20:28:29.270] ERROR: iMessages[Script Filter] Code 1: 28:36: execution error: Die Variable „services“ ist nicht definiert. (-2753)
[20:28:29.939] iMessages[Script Filter] Queuing argument 'k'
[20:28:30.038] iMessages[Script Filter] Script with argv '(null)' finished
[20:28:30.046] ERROR: iMessages[Script Filter] Code 1: 28:36: execution error: Die Variable „services“ ist nicht definiert. (-2753)

Any chance to get it fixed? 

16 hours ago, hugobert said:

Love this workflow and use it since 2013 but sadly it broke with installing Big Sur.

Because Messages on Big Sur is a different app than it had been so far. It’s the iOS app ported to macOS, which probably (I’m not on Big Sur yet to confirm) means no automation anymore.

Who you should complain to is Apple. Open the Feedback Assistant and ask for scriptability in their apps. They’ve been gutting it left and right.