"Todo" - a todo list workflow, with Remember The Milk (beta) support

A bit of an experiment - if you use the awesome EggTimer v2 workflow, you can enable a simple form of integration in Todo v1.5.

• In Alfred, type in features and select the "Experimental - EggTimer2.... " option to enable it
  • Select a todo item, then go to edit mode by pressing fn + Enter keys
  • You should see an item in edit view to help you create a quick reminder as shown below:

eggtimer.png

If you select the EggTimer option, it will just popup Alfred with the Alarm command from EggTimer and a time you selected, the alarm text will be the todo item's description. Press tab in edit mode to select the next half hour slot as the alarm time.

Don't know how useful this is, but if you have any comments, do let me know...

Edited by Benzi

I love this workflow! I have a request that needs to reside outside the workflow but that would accomplish the following 2 things:

1. at certain times a day, a scheduled automator process would export my todo list to a plain text document readable with Taskpaper on iOS (synced to dropbox)

2. I could add tasks to that text document in a way that it would get reimported into the Alfred todo automatically (again possibly with an automator scheduled task)

is this possible, is this of interest to others?

jac 

I love this workflow!...

Cool, glad you find it useful  :)

1. at certain times a day, a scheduled automator process would export my todo list to a plain text document readable with Taskpaper on iOS (synced to dropbox)

2. I could add tasks to that text document in a way that it would get reimported into the Alfred todo automatically (again possibly with an automator scheduled task)

is this possible, is this of interest to others?

jac 

Its definitely possible, but a little bit of work...  :) will definitely check and see whats possible though...

(one way to avoid the automator scheduled task altogether is if Todo will save its todo list as a plain text file that an app like Taskpaper would understand. With that change, one can use the existing setup keyword, select the sync folder in Dropbox and tasks should be in sync via Dropbox automatically)

Thanks for considering my request Benzi! when i open the file that todo makes now in TaskPaper (as you probably know) it gives me a great deal of Python code ;) 

I presently have my todo yaml file saved to a folder in dropbox and can add and delete todos from any of my macs which is great, I guess i am just looking for a solution that would allow me to interact with them on iOS

thanks again for your great work, 

j

Thanks for considering my request Benzi! when i open the file that todo makes now in TaskPaper (as you probably know) it gives me a great deal of Python code ;)

I presently have my todo yaml file saved to a folder in dropbox and can add and delete todos from any of my macs which is great, I guess i am just looking for a solution that would allow me to interact with them on iOS

thanks again for your great work, 

j

Until I get something more robust in place - here is a manual workaround approach in v1.6

I have included the option to export and import todo lists in Taskpaper-like format. So you can export your current todo list to an existing .Taskpaper file or the clipboard. You can import all items also from a .Taskpaper file. Since importing items always adds to the existing list, you should clear all items and then import the .taskpaper file.

It is a slight pain though (because of the manual intervention required), but it should work.

There are some limitations with the integration to Taskpaper (no support for notes, no sub projects, projects cannot have a space in between etc).

PS. stumbled across this workflow called TodoFlow which has a Taskpaper-ready format for its todo files, maybe you can give that a try too - I haven't tried the workflow myself, but I did borrow some code for the import functionality.

Download the latest version here or update via Alleyoop.

v1.7 introduces managing multiple lists using the new list keyword (thanks to a suggestion from @twinpeaks)

list.png

If you want more control over your todo items apart from tagging, pinning and setting due dates for them, you can split up your todo items with lists.

By default, Todo uses a list called todo, but you can create new lists using the list keyword.

• Typing list will display all available lists
  • Typing list <name> will select a list titled name if it exists or allow you to create a new list

At any point in time only one list will be active, and all actions performed by using thetodo,add,import,export etc keywords will be working against the currently active list.

In list view, Cmd + Enter will help you to delete a list altogether.

Edited by Benzi

Hey Benzi, this looks awesome, but i don't seem to make it work...

when i type "todo" in alfred, i get the "Loading, Please wait..." message, but it doesn't stop or change.

I am using alfred 2.02 on Snow Leopard (changed the notifications to Growl because i don't have notification center)

I hope you can help me here :) 

Hey Benzi, this looks awesome, but i don't seem to make it work...

when i type "todo" in alfred, i get the "Loading, Please wait..." message, but it doesn't stop or change.

I am using alfred 2.02 on Snow Leopard (changed the notifications to Growl because i don't have notification center)

I hope you can help me here :)

Ah... that's bad :(  From what you describe, I am not able to figure out what the reason could be.

• Can you try typing in "reset" in Alfred and select the Reset Todo option? After doing a reset, try "todo" again.
  • Can you check if a file exists in the following location
    • /Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.benzi.a2w.todo/config.yaml
    • ​​It will help if you can share the contents of this file

If that fails, can you let me know if you would be comfortable running commands from a Terminal?

Please send me a direct message with the details via this forum and I will take it up from there.

Ah... that's bad :(  From what you describe, I am not able to figure out what the reason could be.

• Can you try typing in "reset" in Alfred and select the Reset Todo option? After doing a reset, try "todo" again.
  • Can you check if a file exists in the following location
    • /Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.benzi.a2w.todo/config.yaml
    • ​​It will help if you can share the contents of this file

If that fails, can you let me know if you would be comfortable running commands from a Terminal?

Please send me a direct message with the details via this forum and I will take it up from there.

I reset Todo as you said

There is no file created under this path (only for Eggtimer and evernote, so other workflows managed to do this)

I somehow can't send you a direct message...

I reset Todo as you said

There is no file created under this path (only for Eggtimer and evernote, so other workflows managed to do this)

I somehow can't send you a direct message...

Its a bit odd that that config file is not getting created. Without the configuration file, Todo will not work I'm afraid. Would you be able to run the following command from the terminal?

cd /path/to/Todo/workflow/folder
python config.py -load

You should run it from the folder where Alfred has installed your Todo workflow (in Alfred, ctrl+click Todo on the left hand side, select reveal in finder and that's the folder). It would help if I can see the output of that...

PS. Not able to send you a direct message either....

Its a bit odd that that config file is not getting created. Without the configuration file, Todo will not work I'm afraid. Would you be able to run the following command from the terminal?

cd /path/to/Todo/workflow/folder
python config.py -load

You should run it from the folder where Alfred has installed your Todo workflow (in Alfred, ctrl+click Todo on the left hand side, select reveal in finder and that's the folder). It would help if I can see the output of that...

PS. Not able to send you a direct message either....

Thats the output i got:

Moad-Abd-El-Hays-MacBook:~ Anakinra$ cd /Users/Anakinra/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583 
Moad-Abd-El-Hays-MacBook:user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583 Anakinra$ cd /path/to/Todo/workflow/folder
-bash: cd: /path/to/Todo/workflow/folder: No such file or directory
Moad-Abd-El-Hays-MacBook:user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583 Anakinra$ python config.py -load
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "config.py", line 5, in <module>
    import alfred
  File "/Users/Anakinra/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583/alfred.py", line 39
    for attribute in ({u'icon'}):
                              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Until I get something more robust in place - here is a manual workaround approach in v1.6

I have included the option to export and import todo lists in Taskpaper-like format. So you can export your current todo list to an existing .Taskpaper file or the clipboard. You can import all items also from a .Taskpaper file. Since importing items always adds to the existing list, you should clear all items and then import the .taskpaper file.

It is a slight pain though (because of the manual intervention required), but it should work.

There are some limitations with the integration to Taskpaper (no support for notes, no sub projects, projects cannot have a space in between etc).

PS. stumbled across this workflow called TodoFlow which has a Taskpaper-ready format for its todo files, maybe you can give that a try too - I haven't tried the workflow myself, but I did borrow some code for the import functionality.

Download the latest version here or update via Alleyoop.

Hi Benzi, 

I have another question/request/idea

I have been using Panic's new app called status board http://panic.com/statusboard/

and it can display CSV files, 

can the todo file be output as a csv?

thanks in advance, 

j

Thats the output i got:

Moad-Abd-El-Hays-MacBook:~ Anakinra$ cd /Users/Anakinra/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583 
Moad-Abd-El-Hays-MacBook:user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583 Anakinra$ cd /path/to/Todo/workflow/folder
-bash: cd: /path/to/Todo/workflow/folder: No such file or directory
Moad-Abd-El-Hays-MacBook:user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583 Anakinra$ python config.py -load
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "config.py", line 5, in <module>
    import alfred
  File "/Users/Anakinra/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.28DF949E-A1F1-4F1E-8430-8BACA457B583/alfred.py", line 39
    for attribute in ({u'icon'}):
                              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Hi, thanks for that. Can you try downloading the latest version and give it a go please? (I have tested this only on Python 2.7.2)

What's new in v1.8:

Format

You can now set the default format of new todo lists using the format command. Type format to view and select a specific option.

• Classic YAML is the format Todo started with. Its a plain text format, but not very readable.
  • Taskpaper format is inspired by the plain text format used by the Taskpaper app. The nice thing about this format is that the underlying todo list file is readable and editable. And if you use Taskpaper, you can work on these lists from there too.

When you set the default format, all new todo lists created using the list command will use that format.

Tried the new verions, did not work. Updates python to 3.3 (?), didn't change anything...

I understand from what you mentioned that you have a version of python that is 3.x in your machine? Typing this in Terminal will tell you:

python --version

If that is the case, this workflow is most likely not Python 3.x ready. Unfortunately I don't have the newer version of Python at the moment, so I am afraid I cannot make changes just yet... I will have a look and see

Edited by Benzi

I understand from what you mentioned that you have a version of python that is 3.x in your machine? Typing this in Terminal will tell you:

python --version

If that is the case, this workflow is most likely not Python 3.x ready. Unfortunately I don't have the newer version of Python at the moment, so I am afraid I cannot make changes just yet... I will have a look and see

I checked the version, it was 2.6, updated it to 2.7 now. Still doesn't work :(

Hi Benzi, 

I have been using Panic's new app called status board http://panic.com/statusboard/

thanks in advance, 

j

Status board looks cool. I think I can get a CSV export functionality in place easily, and will include it in the next version.

Hi Benzi, 

thanks in advance, 

j

I added an option to export as CSV. 

The format is:

Column 1 - "important" if the item is pinned else empty

Column 2 - task description

Column 3 - due date if preset followed by tag name (if different from #default), otherwise empty

Check it out and let me know. Currently, it exports data to the desktop, but you can easily change that if needed in the Run Script node of the "Export as CSV" script filter in the workflow.

I’ve just downloaded the last version:

- I have changed to taskpaper format but my yaml file was not converted

- The Format Script Filter keyword was missing (maybe a bug in current Alfred pre-release?)

- I exported to the clipboard (yaml), changed to taskpaper, imported but nothing happened

I had to enter my items again to get the new format. :)

Edited by Carlos-Sz

I added an option to export as CSV. 

The format is:

Column 1 - "important" if the item is pinned else empty

Column 2 - task description

Column 3 - due date if preset followed by tag name (if different from #default), otherwise empty

Check it out and let me know. Currently, it exports data to the desktop, but you can easily change that if needed in the Run Script node of the "Export as CSV" script filter in the workflow.

thanks Benzi, I will look into transforming this into a Statusboard version this weekend and keep you informed ;)

j

I’ve just downloaded the last version:

- I have changed to taskpaper format but my yaml file was not converted

- The Format Script Filter keyword was missing (maybe a bug in current Alfred pre-release?)

- I exported to the clipboard (yaml), changed to taskpaper, imported but nothing happened

I had to enter my items again to get the new format. :)

Weird that the format keyword is not showing... I am also on the pre-release version.

When you use the format keyword, it will only set the format for new lists you create... at the moment, it will not re-format your current list. Now that you mention it, it does seem a bit counter intuitive that the current list does not get reformatted automatically - a change for v2.0 perhaps....  

I'll test out the export/import flows more.