Lingo - a word game for Alfred

Years ago, I wrote a little word game puzzle called Lingo, and this is my attempt to bring that over to Alfred. It's based on a TV show I used to watch even more years ago  :)

Lingo is a word game that gives you 5 chances to guess a 5-letter word, given a hint of two letters to start with. Every guess you make, you will be shown two further hints

• If the position of a letter in your guess matches exactly the position of the same letter in the word to find out
  • If a letter that you have in your guess word goes to another position in the word to find out

Here is an example:

lingo.png

• Initally the hint was _ _ V _ S
  • First attempt, we tried hello. E is there in the word, and so is O but they are not in the right position, so they are marked with brackets
  • Second attempt, we tried trial - none of the letters are there in the hidden word, so no luck
  • Third try, we had elves, of which VES matched the right position in the hidden word
  • ... and so on (hope you get the idea)

Download the game workflow and give it a go.

Usage

difficulty to set level of difficulty you want in terms of word selection

lingo to start a new game

try to play a current game in progress

NOTE

This uses a word list file internally (which I got from a corpus site on the Internet - don't remember where now), and while I have tried to sanitize this a bit and remove any offensive words, please bear in mind that there can still be stuff in there and please let me know in case anything pops up! 

Edited by Benzi

A small update - found a simple way to prevent Alfred from flickering when you are attempting guesses (Alfred would hide and then reappear suddenly). This little enhancement makes gameplay a little bit more better.

Also, reordered the way guesses are displayed in Alfred's results to make it easier to read.

Download the latest version and check it out.

Edited by Benzi