Alleyoop: Update Alfred Workflows

Thanks for setting this up, phyllisstein.

Olivier Hardy is in a beta with the more substantial one that includes a browsable website, etc.. There are a few last features to implement before it goes live, so the public will probably be able to see it within a couple weeks. So far, it looks nice and runs fast.

Shawn

Edited by rice.shawn

Thanks for setting this up, phyllisstein.

Oliver Hardy is in a beta with the more substantial one that includes a browsable website, etc.. There are a few last features to implement before it goes live, so the public will probably be able to see it within a couple weeks. So far, it looks nice and runs fast.

Shawn

That's terrific. I had a presentiment that this'd be a stopgap measure, but it was just a morning's work to set up, so.

Speaking of, there's another bugfix version uploaded that fixes its self-updating behavior. And with that, I think things are stable.

@phyllisstein: First of all thanks for your great work an sharing. 

But unfortunately I got some of this messages and nothing updates.

What am I doing wrong?

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-29%20um%2022.30

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-29%20um%2022.31

Thanks in advance for your help.

I tested Evernote workflow with the latest Alleyoop version and it worked here. Are you using the latest one?

@phyllisstein

Can you change the title when there is nothing to download? The “Update All” is kind of strange...

oop.png

@phyllisstein: First of all thanks for your great work an sharing. 

But unfortunately I got some of this messages and nothing updates.

What am I doing wrong?

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-29%20um%2022.30

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-29%20um%2022.31

Thanks in advance for your help.

The first thing I'd try is grabbing the latest version and seeing if it works any better. Use the same download link in the first post. If it still fails, it'd be helpful if you could change the "Run Script" workflow item to python act.py {query} 2>&1 | tee act.log and let me know what the file act.log in the workflow folder says after you try updating Evernote.

I tested Evernote workflow with the latest Alleyoop version and it worked here. Are you using the latest one?

@phyllisstein

Can you change the title when there is nothing to download? The “Update All” is kind of strange...

oop.png

Whoops, it should've been doing that, but adding "oop?" temporarily messed it up. Uploaded a changed version.

oop? works and i installed the first update with alleyoop. Thank you  :)

Terrific! Glad it's working for you.

oh.. here we go. when I try a "update all" it seems to work. here's the log http://cl.ly/0J2L1H2C0x1Y

but after that it again shows available updates again with "oop?" List Alleyoop Workflows".

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-30%20um%2008.22

But with "Update Workflows" "List Workflows with available updates" it correctly shows that all workflows are up-to-date.

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-30%20um%2008.24

Great! That's the expected behavior. "oop?" lists every workflow that supports Alleyoop, and its most recent update, whereas "oop" checks for new updates. We can keep testing to see if individual updates are still broken, if you'd like, or we can take it as read that it's working.

thanks a lot daniel.

hmm.. but somehow thats irritating.  :huh:

i.e. I want to update just one workflow, not all. is that possible? and when I use "oop?" and select a workflow, what does the message mean?

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-30%20um%2008.37

For a "newbie" like me it looks weird and doesn't mean anything to me.  :rolleyes:

thanks a lot daniel.

hmm.. but somehow thats irritating.  :huh:

i.e. I want to update just one workflow, not all. is that possible? and when I use "oop?" and select a workflow, what does the message mean?

Bildschirmfoto%202013-03-30%20um%2008.37

For a "newbie" like me it looks weird and doesn't mean anything to me.  :rolleyes:

Oh, goodness, you're absolutely right; I see where the confusion came from, now, and I've corrected the problem. I wired the "oop?" script filter to post a notification and it totally shouldn't have. If you want to update one workflow, just enter "oop" (and, optionally, a search) and you'll get a list of workflows with available updates.

For example, if you enter "oop" right now, you'll be told that Alleyoop has been updated. Select it from the feedback list and hit Return, and an Alleyoop.alfredworkflow file will appear in your Downloads folder. (Normally, it automatically extracts and replaces data in the workflow folders, but it can't do that for itself.)

Edited by phyllisstein

so I'm glad you know what I mean with the message.  :D

but now when I type "oop" it is checking for available updates..

there is Alleyoop V1.5 in the List. 

I select it, press enter.

Notification "Saved Alleyoop to Downloads"

But then.. again it's still in the list for available updates when checking again with "oop".  :unsure:

sorry for bothering you with this..  B)

so I'm glad you know what I mean with the message.  :D

but now when I type "oop" it is checking for available updates..

there is Alleyoop V1.5 in the List. 

I select it, press enter.

Notification "Saved Alleyoop to Downloads"

But then.. again it's still in the list for available updates when checking again with "oop".  :unsure:

sorry for bothering you with this..  B)

Not to worry! As I said, only Alleyoop can't update itself, since its script would be doing the update. You have to actually open the file it downloaded and let Alfred overwrite the old copy. With other workflows, this doesn't happen—they'll be transparently updated without your doing anything else.

One suggestion - definitely not a priority, but if you find yourself wondering what else to add to make it even more awesome than it is B)

Add a "revert" feature, to quickly rollback to the previous version of the workflow in case the updated workflow is too buggy or faulty in some way. I guess you'd just zip up the existing workflow folder and save it in a cache somewhere before performing the update so it could be called back easily.

Just a thought.