Alleyoop: Update Alfred Workflows

Hi, it's no longer working for me, at least with the two apps that need updating, Evernote and Edit With by Carlos. It tells me that there are updates available but then goes through and updates them with the old versions. For example, I have "Edit With" version 1.5. Alleyoop is telling me that there is a 1.6 available. I select to update, it send me the notification that update is complete, but then I'm left with 1.5.

As they are both by Carlos, I wonder if there's something particular to his scripts. Will mention it on one of his threads as well.

Best,

Alex

Hi Alex,

When you say that "it updates them with the old versions," do you mean that a file is downloaded, but when you open it it's an unchanged copy? That'd definitely not be a problem with this workflow—it just downloads what individual developers tell it to download. But if nothing is showing up in ~/Downloads, that's definitely on me and I suggest that you check the workflow's folder for a file called act.log and let me know what it says.

I just checked the act.log file and it hasn't been updated since 13/4 when it shows "Downloaded Built-in Sharing". However, my notifications show many update messages, and for the wrong versions... e.g. downloaded Evernote 4.5, when the most recent version is 5. v4.5 is in my downloads folder too.

Best,

Alex

I just checked the act.log file and it hasn't been updated since 13/4 when it shows "Downloaded Built-in Sharing". However, my notifications show many update messages, and for the wrong versions... e.g. downloaded Evernote 4.5, when the most recent version is 5. v4.5 is in my downloads folder too.

Best,

Alex

Right. Well, let's try a couple of things. First, check to make sure that the script action is python act.py {query} 2>&1 | tee act.log to make sure it's logging. If it's not, you may want to also download the latest copy of the workflow, since I think it went out with that enabled. Then see if you get a better error. If you could also e-mail me the old version of the Evernote workflow, so that I could poke at this myself, that'd be great; I'm d at daniel dot sh. It'd also be helpful to know whether you were running "Update All," as that was broken until about yesterday, or updating things individually. Sorry this is such a disaster, but I appreciate the help in getting it working!

Hi,

So I found the 1.5 of Edit With and removed 1.6 and put 1.5 back.

I also deleted Alleyoop and reinstalled it.

And just for fun I repaired my permissions ;-)

When I choose to update "Edit With", Alleyoop downloads the new 1.6 version correctly to my downloads folder, notifies me, and then does nothing.

Not sure what's going on.

Does python version matter? I have 2.7.4.

Best,

Alex

Hah, oh goodness, repairing permissions was probably overkill ;-). That's actually the expected behavior, though. The old automatic-extraction behavior could've caused problems with Alfred, and was a bit clumsy besides; this behavior ensures that you go through Alfred when importing the workflow, and do a sight-check to make sure that you actually downloaded a workflow before it opens anything.

Hi,

I've downloaded the version you linked to and installed it. I notice your website says "Last updated 29 March 2013" and the initial post from this thread makes it look like it was last updated 4 April (which is when you last edited the initial post), so without Alleyoop showing a version number it's a little confusing!

- I tried again just now to update "Edit with" but no luck.

- Script action is indeed "python act.py {query} 2>&1 | tee act.log", with no characters escaping.

- The act.log file now shows:

"Saved Edit with... to Downloads"

So not sure why it's not progressing from there to installing?

- I've tried "Update All" and updating individually.

- I deleted Evernote 4.5, but I still have the old version of the Edit with script installed if you want me to zip up the workflow folder and send you that?

Best,

Alex 

Hah, oh goodness, repairing permissions was probably overkill ;-). That's actually the expected behavior, though. The old automatic-extraction behavior could've caused problems with Alfred, and was a bit clumsy besides; this behavior ensures that you go through Alfred when importing the workflow, and do a sight-check to make sure that you actually downloaded a workflow before it opens anything.

Ahhhhhhh... I'm supposed to install manually! Doh!

So it's working correctly then :-)

Thanks,

Alex

Hi phyllisstein, thanks for your great extension. But it doesn't seem to work for me. 
When I update all the extensions, it says everything is done but still extensions are still in the old versions.

Hi phyllisstein, thanks for your great extension. But it doesn't seem to work for me. 

When I update all the extensions, it says everything is done but still extensions are still in the old versions.

You need to install them manually. The files are downloaded to your ~/Downloads folder.

Hi phyllisstein,

Bug Report:  The "download them all" option is not working for me. It says it did it, but my download directory is empty.

Feature Request:  It would be nice if it could cache the search results and clear it each day or have an option to clear it. It takes quit a while for it to go through all of my workflows. It might be good to generate and keep a list of workflows that work with AlleyOOP and only search that list for updates. That would help to speed it up.

Thanks for a great helping workflow!!!

I think, though I'm not sure, that that bug should've been fixed in the latest version, which you'll unfortunately have to download by hand. I was a little sloppy changing over to the new version and left a bad few lines in the "Download All" section. If that doesn't fix it, however, check the workflow folder for act.log and let me know what's there. I'll look into doing some rudimentary caching this weekend.

Hi phyllisstein,

Bug Report:  The "download them all" option is not working for me. It says it did it, but my download directory is empty.

Feature Request:  It would be nice if it could cache the search results and clear it each day or have an option to clear it. It takes quit a while for it to go through all of my workflows. It might be good to generate and keep a list of workflows that work with AlleyOOP and only search that list for updates. That would help to speed it up.

Thanks for a great helping workflow!!!

I've updated it to version 2.5, and added caching. Caching the compatible workflows didn't do a whole lot of good, since the real slowdown was with the HTTP requests, so I added requests_cache back in with a 24-hour timeout window, as well as a new keyword (oop!) that'll force the cache to refresh itself. Let me know if you run into any difficulties with this version.

I've updated it to version 2.5, and added caching. Caching the compatible workflows didn't do a whole lot of good, since the real slowdown was with the HTTP requests, so I added requests_cache back in with a 24-hour timeout window, as well as a new keyword (oop!) that'll force the cache to refresh itself. Let me know if you run into any difficulties with this version.

Okay. I am downloading and will try it out. Thanks! I should probably trim down my list (80+), but they are so helpful.

Okay. I am downloading and will try it out. Thanks! I should probably trim down my list (80+), but they are so helpful.

Well, it worked. "Download All" now leaves them in the download directory. Thanks.

I think the real speedup would be from keeping a list of workflows that supports AlleyOOP and just poll those. I have many workflows that are just mine and they still get checked for updates (at least the old code. I have not looked at your new code yet.)

Keep it cranking!! Loving it all.

Good news! Glad it's working now.

Incidentally, all the workflows are examined for update.json files, but only those with an update.json file defined in the correct way actually initiate an HTTP request. The new version does indeed cache the list of supported workflows, also for 24 hours, but that caching didn't show any radical speed improvements on my testing (though I suppose I have fewer installed than you do).

Well, it helped mine. But, it seems to not update cache when you tell it to download them. Now it is always saying the same ones need downloaded when I already did. Using oop! to clear the cache eliminated that problem.

Yea, I think I have gone over board. It would be neat for Alfred to track which ones are used the most so that it would be easy to analyse which ones are the most needed. That would help decide which ones to eliminate due to not much usage.

The workflow broke for me with the latest update.

I get this in the log files:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "feedback.py", line 154, in <module>
    do_feedback()
  File "feedback.py", line 16, in do_feedback
    if (cache.get("cache_time", None) + day_secs > time.time()) and not force:

TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'int' 

I think that I've spotted the issue that was causing @parekh problems. I've updated the workflow, but it may have to be manually downloaded from this link, as I suspect that its self-update mechanism was affected by the bug.

Wow, you really did fix my problem. I have no idea how you did it based on the minimal information / bug report that I gave you. Kudos!