Spotifious: a natural Spotify controller for Alfred

And a little feature request as well:

Often i just wanna search for an artist i like and just start playing that artist (with shuffle) is it possible to ad that option? As it is now i just get the option to "browse" the artist.

Thanks!

edit: the same goes for albums. Perhaps Enter could be "browse" and shift+Enter could be "shuffle play"?

I'm glad everything worked out! I would love to take some time to implement hotkey-based actions. Soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there—love the workflow, thanks for this! :)

I have a font issue though. Alfred works fine with my (reduced) set of active fonts, but with your Spotify workflow something ain't right in the subline:

alfred_spotifious.jpg

Are you using a special fonts? As I can see in your screen shots, it's just a couple of vertical lines—any reason for that? ;)

Hey there—love the workflow, thanks for this! :)

I have a font issue though. Alfred works fine with my (reduced) set of active fonts, but with your Spotify workflow something ain't right in the subline:

Are you using a special fonts? As I can see in your screen shots, it's just a couple of vertical lines—any reason for that? ;)

Thank you :)

I don't use custom fonts (actually, I can't provide anything from my workflow except plain text). Your font issue comes from your font not fully implementing Unicode.

The bars that I use are standard, if arcane, Unicode that most complete fonts should have. Since I realize many smaller fonts don't have them, I'll try to put some settings in to configure alternative printout.

I just had a quick look at the font settings.

Helvetica Neue Light was used—which is activated as a standard font with my OSX. Then I tested different fonts by changing it in the Alfred preferences. But whatever font it was, it still showed the missing glyph sign. However, if I check the bar glyph in FontExplorer (alt+7), it shows correctly with every any font.

I'm puzzled...  :blink:

Note:

||| Being a graphic designer, I use the arcane glyph constantly  ;) |||

Edited by pumuckl405

I just had a quick look at the font settings.

Helvetica Neue Light was used—which is activated as a standard font with my OSX. Then I tested different fonts by changing it in the Alfred preferences. But whatever font it was, it still showed the missing glyph sign. However, if I check the bar glyph in FontExplorer (alt+7), it shows correctly with every any font.

I'm puzzled...  :blink:

Try selecting an artist or album— what appears?

Hi again. I restarted, but the result is the same. 

I don't want you to waste your time on this issue. Thus I thought about modifying the files on my system in order for the lines to disappear completely. If only you could tell me in which file and line I can find the output of the subtitle for the results...

Hi again. I restarted, but the result is the same. 

I don't want you to waste your time on this issue. Thus I thought about modifying the files on my system in order for the lines to disappear completely. If only you could tell me in which file and line I can find the output of the subtitle for the results...

Nonsense! I'll roll out a dev version with a setting for unicode-safety.

Just to let you know: In Mac OS' notification, the vertikal lines glyph shows (when using the shortcut for play/pause). I don't know if you use an image for the pause sign—I supposed it is the same glyph you used in the general spotifious window...

spotifious_message.jpg

I'm glad I fixed it (that's what I changed it to lol)

I really don't know. I think Alfred might be messing it up, but I don't know why.

It's so strange. It shows   [  ]  , but sometimes at the end also one ore more  -  

spotifious_--.jpg

Yes, I was trying to approximate ■ and □ with ASCII characters. Do you have anything that might make more sense?

Edited by citelao

I'm having some problems with Spotifious at the moment. It was working great when I installed it, but it suddenly stopped working and I don't think I did anything that might have affected it. Searching things works fine, but the workflow doesn't open Spotify, I can't see what's playing and selecting songs doesn't open Spotify.

I'm using the latest version of Spotify and the latest version of Alfred on OS X Yosemite.

Do you know what might be wrong?

I'm having some problems with Spotifious at the moment. It was working great when I installed it, but it suddenly stopped working and I don't think I did anything that might have affected it. Searching things works fine, but the workflow doesn't open Spotify, I can't see what's playing and selecting songs doesn't open Spotify.

I'm using the latest version of Spotify and the latest version of Alfred on OS X Yosemite.

Do you know what might be wrong?

I had that happen at one point— it kinda just went away. Have you tried restarting Spotify, Alfred, or your computer?

I can rewrite some code, but I don't know what good it'll do because I cannot duplicate your issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I had that happen at one point— it kinda just went away. Have you tried restarting Spotify, Alfred, or your computer?

I can rewrite some code, but I don't know what good it'll do because I cannot duplicate your issue.

Yeah, I've tried restarting Spotify, Alfred and my computer plenty of times, and the issue hasn't gone away since I originally posted.

Yeah, I've tried restarting Spotify, Alfred and my computer plenty of times, and the issue hasn't gone away since I originally posted.

Weird. I have a number of things to try, then:

• If you go to the Workflows pane, select my workflow, and double-click the "spotifious" script filter, you should see instructions in the script field about how to debug unsolveable issues. Could you send me the file it generates?
  • You might want to give the dev version of Spotifious a try, as well. It's available here.
  • Try seeing if somethings messed up with your Applescript: open Script Editor (it's in Utilities) and run the code below. It should give, as a result, the name of the current Spotify track.

Let me know what you get!

I've also created a GitHub issue for this, if you'd like to continue debug there.

Current track:

tell application "Spotify"
	name of current track
end tell

Activate Spotify:

activate
end tell

Weird. I have a number of things to try, then:

• If you go to the Workflows pane, select my workflow, and double-click the "spotifious" script filter, you should see instructions in the script field about how to debug unsolveable issues. Could you send me the file it generates?
  • You might want to give the dev version of Spotifious a try, as well. It's available here.
  • Try seeing if somethings messed up with your Applescript: open Script Editor (it's in Utilities) and run the code below. It should give, as a result, the name of the current Spotify track.

Let me know what you get!

I've also created a GitHub issue for this, if you'd like to continue debug there.

Current track:

name of current track
end tell

Activate Spotify:

activate
end tell

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I was going through all of the things that you'd asked me to do and nothing was working - including trying to run the AppleScript for the current track -, until I ran the activate Spotify code in AppleScript. It came up with an error but opened Spotify anyway. After that, everything's been working fine - all of the AppleScript works perfectly without error, and Spotifious works fine!

Thanks for your help!

Really amazing plugin (extension), great work!

Just wondering if there's any way to search for and within your own playlists?

Also, are the next/previous commands implemented yet? That's actually the thing I use most. Right now I just have a separate workflow for that ;)

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I was going through all of the things that you'd asked me to do and nothing was working - including trying to run the AppleScript for the current track -, until I ran the activate Spotify code in AppleScript. It came up with an error but opened Spotify anyway. After that, everything's been working fine - all of the AppleScript works perfectly without error, and Spotifious works fine!

Thanks for your help!

Haha, I'm glad it worked out. Applescript is weird. Sorry it took so long to fix!

Really amazing plugin (extension), great work!

Just wondering if there's any way to search for and within your own playlists?

Also, are the next/previous commands implemented yet? That's actually the thing I use most. Right now I just have a separate workflow for that ;)

Thank you so much! Actually, I have just the thing for you. Here's the dev version. Download it, bind your hotkeys, and it should be exactly what you want! 

I'm delaying publishing it to make sure everything works with Gatekeeper and the like. In fact, if you get it working with no problem, I'll publish it if you let me know.

Hey Ben, 

I tried the dev version and it appears to work correctly. 

I have a question: does Spotifious support notifications on song change? I get a notification when I use the hotkeys from the dev version but not on 'normal' progression within songs. If so, how do I activate it? If not, is it part of the roadmap? 

Thanks

Hey Ben, 

I tried the dev version and it appears to work correctly. 

I have a question: does Spotifious support notifications on song change? I get a notification when I use the hotkeys from the dev version but not on 'normal' progression within songs. If so, how do I activate it? If not, is it part of the roadmap? 

Thanks

I'm considering including this project into Spotifious. It is not on the roadmap now, as it isn't really part of any workflow-related things and would need a helper application.