OmniFocus Task Actions [Updated to 3.1]

I think I'm doing something wrong. I installed the workflow and when I type ".of" I get a list of things to do. If I want to search contexts, I go to .oftc, then it asks me to enter a context, I type the first few letters of the context and my options become Search in Google, Search in Wikipedia, Search in Amazon.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

When using .oftc (OmniFocus Tasks in Context) you have to enter the complete context name. Use .offc (OmniFocus find Context) instead. When you start typing the first letters, you'll get a list of all matching contexts. Select the right one from the list and it will call .oftc with the correct context name.

The fallback web searches appear if no results are returned from the workflow. But when your context says that there are available tasks, they should show up.

Could you please try to start the context script in Terminal:

./getTasksByContext.sh "Phone"

Do you get any error messages?

I'll add some logging with the next release for better support in the future.

I have some issues with this as well, results are never returned.  

If I run the shell script directly, it barfs due to not finding the commands referenced by the script. Environment variable/pathing issue?

$ /Users/emory/Dropbox/Application\ Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh
/Users/emory/Dropbox/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh: line 3: workflowHandler.sh: No such file or directory
/Users/emory/Dropbox/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh: line 5: getPref: command not found
/Users/emory/Dropbox/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh: line 41: getXMLResults: command not found

I have some issues with this as well, results are never returned.  

If I run the shell script directly, it barfs due to not finding the commands referenced by the script. Environment variable/pathing issue?

$ /Users/emory/Dropbox/Application\ Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh
/Users/emory/Dropbox/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh: line 3: workflowHandler.sh: No such file or directory
/Users/emory/Dropbox/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh: line 5: getPref: command not found
/Users/emory/Dropbox/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3/getTasksInInbox.sh: line 41: getXMLResults: command not found

Could you please try to cd in the workflow directory first before executing the command?

cd /Users/emory/Dropbox/Application\ Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3
./getTasksInInbox.sh

Do you still get errors?

Could you please try to cd in the workflow directory first before executing the command?

cd /Users/emory/Dropbox/Application\ Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.E1A1A3ED-90BF-4B96-BD56-16B26C7193D3
./getTasksInInbox.sh

Do you still get errors?

I do not. I still cannot get results from the workflow, however. e.g. OmniFocus: Show tasks in context I assign to '.ofcs' ('context seek') are sometimes returned and sometimes not, it appears that nested levels of contexts are where it gets confused maybe?  It isn't consistent though.  I also noticed contexts that start with a leading '@' don't get matched, nor do ones that I prefixed with emoji — that may be just be a regex issue though?

Since I just threw a half dozen variables into the mix, I can not return a view of context: '@office'/'fw' but I can return a view of context: '{Emoji} Agendas'/'person'

Edited by incumbent

I do not. I still cannot get results from the workflow, however. e.g. OmniFocus: Show tasks in context I assign to '.ofcs' ('context seek') are sometimes returned and sometimes not, it appears that nested levels of contexts are where it gets confused maybe?  It isn't consistent though.  I also noticed contexts that start with a leading '@' don't get matched, nor do ones that I prefixed with emoji — that may be just be a regex issue though?

Since I just threw a half dozen variables into the mix, I can not return a view of context: '@office'/'fw' but I can return a view of context: '{Emoji} Agendas'/'person'

Assigning different keywords in the workflow has great potential to break certain functionality. Selecting a project/context/perspective from their searches (.offp, .offc, .offv) will invoke the corresponding .oft* keyword. The same keywords are used for the back functionality of the task details display. So changing the keywords is not a good idea unless you also change all other related scripts.

Nested contexts are currently not supported. The workflow will only display tasks that are directly in the searched context. So, parent contexts will not show the tasks of their child contexts. This will be fixed with the next release as I already had to implement the recursion for the folder search.

Don't you get any tasks for @ and Emoji contexts don't they even show up in the context search (.offc)?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I type .ofti, I think I'm supposed to get a view of my inbox, correct?  Right now, I have 11 tasks in my inbox, but only 3 are showing up with this keyword.

Thanks for a great workflow and any guidance you can provide me.

Edited by drking

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I type .ofti, I think I'm supposed to get a view of my inbox, correct?  Right now, I have 11 tasks in my inbox, but only 3 are showing up with this keyword.

Thanks for a great workflow and any guidance you can provide me.

Do your missing tasks have a future start date or are they sub-tasks?

_mk_ actually, it takes me to my inbox perspective....does not matter which perspective I choose on Alfred to focus on, it always goes to this one perspective.

Did you try one of OF's built-in perspectives like Flagged or Projects? It works perfectly for me with all my perspectives.

Do your missing tasks have a future start date or are they sub-tasks?

_mk_ This morning I completed all my tasks in the Inbox and marked them off.  (they were all regular tasks -- no sub tasks, no dates applied)  So this morning, I started fresh and added 14 tasks to the inbox.  Now, everything works fine -- all my tasks are showing up in Alfred as they should.   It seems like everything is working okay now, but I'll continue to keep an eye out if I run across it again.

Now to update to the latest version I see was posted today....This workflow is super fantastic!

Edited by drking

I'm using 2.4 of the workflow and I'm still not getting the hang of the matching. I am using everything as-bundled and default:

.ofti returns nothing:

13%2010:14%20AM.png

If I just do .oft I see the options for OmniFocus including Inbox:

13%2010:15%20AM.png

When I try to view the items in a Project called "Firewall Requests" I get this:

13%2010:18%20AM.png

A shot of my Workflow showing the keywords:

13%2010:19%20AM.png

Edited by incumbent

I'm using 2.4 of the workflow and I'm still not getting the hang of the matching. I am using everything as-bundled and default:

.ofti returns nothing:

13%2010:14%20AM.png

If I just do .oft I see the options for OmniFocus including Inbox:

13%2010:15%20AM.png

When I try to view the items in a Project called "Firewall Requests" I get this:

13%2010:18%20AM.png

A shot of my Workflow showing the keywords:

13%2010:19%20AM.png

Version 2.4 includes debug output now. There should be a log file for every keyword. Could you please have a look inside the workflow folder and check if any of the logs contains error messages?

No errors, it just returns nothing.

<?xml version='1.0'?><items>
</items>

Do the tasks have future start dates? drking had a similar problem. Could you try to process your inbox and add new tasks?