Contacts should check Directories

It appears alfred doesn't check the directories (I have an exchange account setup for work and it adds "Exchange Global Address List" to the Directories section of the Contacts app and from there I can search for people) if it can't find a matching contact.

This would be very useful as then I could e-mail anyone in the company just by knowing their name and not have to pollute my address book with their contacts.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Unfortunately, OS X's contact API doesn't allow for external querying of contacts. If this changes, I'll be adding support for sure.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/userexperience/Conceptual/AddressBook/Tasks/Searching.html

Note: You can only search the user’s local Address Book database, not remote directories such as CardDAV or Exchange.

It appears alfred doesn't check the directories (I have an exchange account setup for work and it adds "Exchange Global Address List" to the Directories section of the Contacts app and from there I can search for people) if it can't find a matching contact.

This would be very useful as then I could e-mail anyone in the company just by knowing their name and not have to pollute my address book with their contacts.

I agree with your basic premise but "pollute" is a strong word. :-) I still pull in everyone I email with at my company into my local address book because I can link them with their LinkedIn profiles using CoBook. Let's me associate pictures with the majority of my contacts and have long-term contact info for them if they leave the company.