Share using Mountain Lion Built-in Sharing (Version 1.11)

alfred-mountain-lion-builtin-sharing

==========================

Use built-in sharing introduced in Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion directly from Alfred!

Description

This workflow is using the amazing command line terminal-share

You can call directly share command (or use a hotkey) if you just want to share a message.

If you want to share a file (image, video or any other kind), you can select it using a File Action, or set a hotkey.

It currently supports all services except sinaweibo,youku and tudou (I can add them in a future release).

Based on the type of the selected file, services proposed will change.

Here are some examples:

Screenshots

4tab60.png

Download the workflow

Download the workflow below and open in Alfred.

Download Workflow

History

1.11:

1.10:
  • fix AllayOop version
1.9:
  • Added hotkeys to call built-in facebook, twitter, imessage and email
i0SR+.png

1.8:

• Fix problem introduced in version 1.7 with files names with spaces
1.7:
  • Fixed a bug where image was not displayed in the sharing window
1.6:
  • Start Droplr if needed before trying to upload
1.5:
  • Added support of droplr (using cmd modifier). It will upload selected file to Droplr, and then paste at the end of the message the url. It only works with facebook, twitter, imessage and email (other services don't use message).
1.4:
  • Improve handling of special characters
1.3:
  • The terminal-share is now included is the workflow
  • Twitter issue is fixed
  • Minor fixes
1.2:
  • Added abilitity to cancel file sharing by selecting the Selected file entry
1.1:
  • Support of Alleyoop
1.0:
  • Initial Version
Credits Edited by vdesabou

Use built-in sharing introduced in Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion directly from Alfred!

This workflow is using the amazing command line "terminal-share", see github page here. 

IMPORTANT: terminal-share command must be installed, see https://github.com/mattt/terminal-share for instructions on how to install it.

You can call directly "share" command (or use a hotkey) if you just want to share a message.

If you want to share a file (image, video or any other kind), you can select it using a File Action, or set a hotkey.

It currently supports all services except sinaweibo,youku and tudou (I can add them in a future release).

Based on the type of the selected file, services proposed will change.

Here are some examples:

4tab60.png

Download here: Version 1.0

History:

1.0:

• Initial Version

DL link is broken.

Ok, umm... this looks awesome. But could you translate this:

into something resembling programming-moron-speak (ie. me)? Please?  :P

The easiest way to install terminal-share would probably be to install the gem. Just open Terminal, enter the following command, and enter your password when prompted:

sudo gem install terminal-share

That should get it working.

The easiest way to install terminal-share would probably be to install the gem. Just open Terminal, enter the following command, and enter your password when prompted:

sudo gem install terminal-share

That should get it working.

Thanks. I've updated the initial post to include this

Hi! I've installed terminal-share and it seems to work (If I type 'terminal-share' it list me all the commands, etc) but when I try to use the Workflow it says it's not installed. I think it's looking it in /usr/bin but I don't think it's there. Do you know why is that? It's something to do that I have Ruby 1.9.3 besides de 1.8.7 of OSX?

Thanks in advance!

I've just noticed an issue if I try to send a tweet without a file attached, when I hit the tweet button, I get an error saying my twitter password is not valid.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

I actually just tried to tweet using it, and had the same issue. Came here to mention it and saw your post.

Share.png

Facebook works fine. Haven't tried iMessage, Mail, or AirDrop yet.

Edited by GamerChase

Hi! I've installed terminal-share and it seems to work (If I type 'terminal-share' it list me all the commands, etc) but when I try to use the Workflow it says it's not installed. I think it's looking it in /usr/bin but I don't think it's there. Do you know why is that? It's something to do that I have Ruby 1.9.3 besides de 1.8.7 of OSX?

Thanks in advance!

Yes it checks that terminal-share is in in /usr/bin/terminal-share

Can you execute in a terminal window:

which terminal-share

And post the output

I actually just tried to tweet using it, and had the same issue. Came here to mention it and saw your post.

Share.png

Facebook works fine. Haven't tried iMessage, Mail, or AirDrop yet.

Thanks for the confirmation. I believe that the version of terminal-share we get when we do a "sudo gem install terminal-share" is not the latest one, because I've been able to compile the latest version with the code in the github page, and this is working much better...

I've contacted the author of terminal-share, who is a big fan of alfred, so I hope to get a feedback from him.

I don't know much about ruby and gem..I could embed my compiled terminal-share application within the workflow, but I don't know if I can do that, I need his permission first.

In any case, I hope to get a fix soon for this :-)

Cheers

Sure, it says:

/Users/MYUSER/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p194/bin/terminal-share

It's a bit beyond my skills, I don't know ruby. So I've included the terminal-share app directly in the workflow(I've included the copyright and license in the workflow readme, I hope this would be fine).

Can you try Version 1.3 in first post, or update via AlleyOop, and let me know if this is working.

Thanks for the confirmation. I believe that the version of terminal-share we get when we do a "sudo gem install terminal-share" is not the latest one, because I've been able to compile the latest version with the code in the github page, and this is working much better...

I've contacted the author of terminal-share, who is a big fan of alfred, so I hope to get a feedback from him.

I don't know much about ruby and gem..I could embed my compiled terminal-share application within the workflow, but I don't know if I can do that, I need his permission first.

In any case, I hope to get a fix soon for this :-)

Cheers

Can you try Version 1.3, that should fix the twitter issue.

Thanks

It's a bit beyond my skills, I don't know ruby. So I've included the terminal-share app directly in the workflow(I've included the copyright and license in the workflow readme, I hope this would be fine).

Can you try Version 1.3 in first post, or update via AlleyOop, and let me know if this is working.

Can you try Version 1.3, that should fix the twitter issue.

Thanks

Success  B) It's fantastic. Well done!

Nice workflow, looks handy :-) Is there any chance it could be modified to support sharing via Dropbox? The selected file would be copied to /Dropbox/Public (or another user-specified location) and the Dropbox URL would be copied to the clipboard, or put directly into an iMessage, email, tweet or other message. If the file was already in the Dropbox folder then the Dropbox URL would be copied to the clipboard without moving anything.

EDIT: I did find this workflow, but I still wonder if you'd like to incorporate Dropbox sharing into your own workflow. Just a suggestion :-)

Edited by Subject22

Nice workflow, looks handy :-) Is there any chance it could be modified to support sharing via Dropbox? The selected file would be copied to /Dropbox/Public (or another user-specified location) and the Dropbox URL would be copied to the clipboard, or put directly into an iMessage, email, tweet or other message. If the file was already in the Dropbox folder then the Dropbox URL would be copied to the clipboard without moving anything.

EDIT: I did find this workflow, but I still wonder if you'd like to incorporate Dropbox sharing into your own workflow. Just a suggestion :-)

That's a good idea, thanks!

I've started with the service I use the most: droplr.

See:

Version 1.5:

Added support of droplr (using cmd modifier). It will upload selected file to Droplr, and then paste at the end of the message the url. It only works with facebook, twitter, imessage and email (other services don't use message)

I'll see what I can do for dropbox :-)

Cheers

I tried to download the V1.6 over alleyoop. The update was shown but always download the V1.5.

Whats the latest version of alleyoop. I'm a bit confused. sorry..

mmm, seems like an issue with Alleyoop, because the droplr link is http://d.pr/f/cj9L and the file has a size of 247kb, but the file downloaded by Alleyoop is only 10kb.

As a workaround, download version 1.6 manually