Spotify Mini Player: Control your Spotify library at your fingertips

• 2 weeks later...

Version 5.2: note that settings will be reset and you will have to re-enter your Spotify App Client Id and Client Secret again:

Change log:

• Added Create Artist Radio playlist (number of tracks is configurable, 30 by default)

Capture%20d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran%202014-1

• Added Create Song Radio playlist feature (number of tracks is configurable, 30 by default)
  • Added command artist_radio to create artist radio playlist from current artist
  • Added command song_radio to create song radio playlist from current track
  • Continue using the workflow while updating library (playlist, all playlists or Your Music)!

• Added command lyrics to get lyrics from current track
  • New sub-menu for Current Track (hotkey available for quick access)

• 4 weeks later...

Season's Greetings From Canada!

After seeing the Alfred Christmas 2014 calendar and the announcement of this Spotify mini-player (Day 13) I decided to "attempt" to install the workflow.

As background, although I have been using Alfred for approximately 1-2 years, I am a newbie when it come to workflows; I have installed some however.

Re your Spotify Mini Player I have followed all instructions to date but I seemed to be hung up at the Library updating stage, according to the message I get, 1350/7196 tracks have been uploaded or processed but that was from last night.

I have gone over most of the back (in time) postings on this site to see if people have had similar issues, they have. I thus tried to follow some of your suggestions:

1. As per a posting on this forum from last year (see below)

"Can you check your /Users/YOUR_USER/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.vdesabou.spotify.mini.player directory and let me know if you have some files in there?

You should have a library.json, library_starred_playlist.json and playlist_*.json files (one per playlist)"

I have checked my library and I do indeed have the folder described above but I do not have any of those .json files

In the com.vdesabou.spotify.mini.player  folder I have:
Artwork folder
library_new.db
settings_tmp.db
settings.db

update_library_in_progress

Looking forward to some assistance in getting your workflow up and running.

Don J J Carroll

After seeing the Alfred Christmas 2014 calendar and the announcement of this Spotify mini-player (Day 13) I decided to "attempt" to install the workflow.

As background, although I have been using Alfred for approximately 1-2 years, I am a newbie when it come to workflows; I have installed some however.

Re your Spotify Mini Player I have followed all instructions to date but I seemed to be hung up at the Library updating stage, according to the message I get, 1350/7196 tracks have been uploaded or processed but that was from last night.

I have gone over most of the back (in time) postings on this site to see if people have had similar issues, they have. I thus tried to follow some of your suggestions:

1. As per a posting on this forum from last year (see below)

"Can you check your /Users/YOUR_USER/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.vdesabou.spotify.mini.player directory and let me know if you have some files in there?

You should have a library.json, library_starred_playlist.json and playlist_*.json files (one per playlist)"

I have checked my library and I do indeed have the folder described above but I do not have any of those .json files

In the com.vdesabou.spotify.mini.player  folder I have:

Artwork folder

library_new.db

settings_tmp.db

settings.db

update_library_in_progress

Looking forward to some assistance in getting your workflow up and running.

Don J J Carroll

Hi, Sure I'll be happy to help. Can you open an issue here https://github.com/vdesabou/alfred-spotify-mini-player/issues 

It would be better to do debugging from there.

As discussed by email, I've identified the problem and opened issue https://github.com/vdesabou/alfred-spotify-mini-player/issues/35

I have the same issue (library update stops at some point and never completes). Should I just wait the issue to be solved or I can do something at the moment?

I assume that it is the first time you use the workflow, is that right?

When the create/update library starts, it has a token from Spotify which is valid 1 hour. As it is the very first time you use the workflow, it downloads all artworks so it takes a while, so after one hour, the token is no more valid and the update stops..

The good news is that the next version will fix that because artworks will be fetched in background, so the update library will be a loooot quicker. !
The bad news is that I can't release the next version yet because it needs to use a beta version of Alfred which has not been publicly released...

As a workaround you can:
2-Then call the workflow again and it shall propose to Create the Library. It will process more tracks, and fail again...But there will be a improvement in the progress.

Repeat steps 1 and 2 until all your tracks are processed...

Or maybe you can reduce (temporary) the size of your library: Maybe you're subscribed to a playlist with thousands of tracks ? So you could unsubscribe until the next version of the workflow is released (January)

Let me know how it goes

I have already tried the first workaround (kill the update and create the library again) with no success. After killing the update I got no improvement on the progress in some attempts, so now I gonna try to reduce the size of my library. Thank you for the fast reply.

I sent you a PM so that I can get the debug file, maybe that's an other issue...

Depending on the problem I may have to release a version 5.21 as it seems to impact quite a lot of users...

Thanks

I have tried the version you sent me by PM and now things work fine after running 3 times the "create library" command. Thank you!

Ok good. I'm a bit surprised you had to run it 3 times with this version. But anyway, the next version would definitely improve this.

• 1 month later...

Version 6.0.1 is released, it should fix problems seen by some users (no such table: artists error, or "No ’error’ provided in response body" when creating library)

IMPORTANT: If you got issue with library creation with version 6.0, follow steps here and choose 'Browse to App Support Folder', then in Finder, delete library.db and fetch_artworks.db files before re-creating the library

Blog post: http://alfred-spotify-mini-player.com/blog/Version-6.0.1/

Edited by vdesabou
  • 3 weeks later...

I just have to chime in and say that this workflow is really amazing. It's one of the most polished ones that I've seen released. I recently looked at the code, and it's pretty amazing how much effort has been put into it, so kudos Vincent for making something so amazing and eminently useful.

Thanks a lot Shawn, coming from you it's a real honor !  :)

This looks great :)

Are there any Spotify controllers that doesn't require having the Spotify Mac app running all the time?

Like a controller for mopidy-spotify or spotifyd?

No I don't plan to use these kinds of controllers for my workflow because it requires a Spotify Premium account and I don't want to restrict the audience.

There was an enhancement issue proposed some time ago https://github.com/vdesabou/alfred-spotify-mini-player/issues/40 as well.

I'll stick to Spotify WEB API + Applescript for now.

If you are one of the users who got an automatic update of Spotify desktop application (version 1.0.1, the one with Lyrics button), the workflow is broken because the AppleScript support is broken, see https://github.com/vdesabou/alfred-spotify-mini-player/issues/66 for details and how to install previous version and prevent auto-update.

You can also kudos the problem here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Instant-issues-with-new-update/m-p/1040271#M111276 so that Spotify gets it fixed ASAP

Edited by vdesabou