Download Media — Download video and audio from web pages

Thank you for the kind words.

Glad you got it working. I took the chance to update the instructions, as they were slightly out-of-date.

I noticed from the youtube-dl readme file, as of April 26, 2015, youtube-dl uses -f bestvideo+bestaudio/best as the default. Is there a way to tell if the workflow is using the most current version of youtube-dl?

Thanks.

Is there a way to tell if the workflow is using the most current version of youtube-dl?

You can go into the workflow’s directory and run python youtube-dl -U to update. However, every time you run the workflow it checks if the version you have in it (the actual file) is over 15 days old, and if it is it updates it, so you should never be too far behind.

Rest assured, the only operations it performs to achieve this are checking how old the file is (using common local CLI tools) and that same youtube-dl -U (youtube-dl --update, in this case) command to update, so it isn’t “phoning home” or anything like that (well, unless youtube-dl itself is doing something nasty, but I seriously doubt that).

Edited by Vítor
  • 1 month later...

Update.

It will now try to figure out if you have either ffmpeg or avcon installed (by looking into /usr/local/bin, as well as your PATH), and if you do, it’ll download all available subtitles for the video (if any), and embed them (if it’s an mkv or mp4).

Update.

It now tries to force the download of specific file formats. This is done to avoid inconsistencies between the filename youtube-dl predicts it’ll get and the one it actually does (which could screw up adding to watchlist) and to prevent getting a bunch of files from one download — sometimes youtube-dl, in its pursuit for the best video and audio independently can get incompatible formats it can’t then join.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

That’s not a problem. Let it finish. It’s getting the best audio and video sources, and will join them together when it’s done.

If it doesn’t, I’ll need the exact url you’re trying to download, and for you to open the debugger, and post the output after repeating the task.

Thank you! Your reply gave me enough clues to determine I had not installed ffmpeg. I am sure I overlooked this step. All is well now.

Fantastic workflow and thanks for creating it. Hopefully YouTube will not break it......Take Care! 

I had not installed ffmpeg

Though the workflow does give you some niceties if you have ffmpeg installed, that shouldn’t be a requirement. I take great care to not have my workflows require extar dependencies, as much as possible.

I think I found what I should fix. Thank you.

Hopefully YouTube will not break it

This workflow uses youtube-dl, which is a fantastic project with many contributors and updated regularly. Whenever Youtube breaks this interaction, they fix it.

The workflow will also auto-update youtube-dl for you every fifteen days.

Edited by Vítor
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
this workflow is great, thanks!!

It’s very similar to the previous solution, only now you’ll look for the line

python youtube-dl --quiet --output "${downdir}/%(title)s.%(ext)s" "${link}"
and change it to be

python youtube-dl --quiet -f 22/18/17 --output "${downdir}/%(title)s.%(ext)s" "${link}"

Are these instructions to download mp4 still up to date?  I can't find where I have to change this setting..

after a week of usage I'm liking this workflow more and more!

One thing that I was wondering, is if there is a way to make it ask in which location download the file? (each time or maybe just change desktop location to another folder)

after a week of usage I'm liking this workflow more and more!

Glad to know!

One thing that I was wondering, is if there is a way to make it ask in which location download the file? (each time or maybe just change desktop location to another folder)

There used to be no easy way, no. However, with Alfred 3, why not? Download the newest version, and you’ll be able to change the directories via the two Workflow Environment Variables.

Glad to know!

There used to be no easy way, no. However, with Alfred 3, why not? Download the newest version, and you’ll be able to change the directories via the two Workflow Environment Variables.

Thanks Vitor, I downloaded the latest version and I'm trying to find out how to change the "workflow environment variables"

I'm reading this http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/8939-workflow-environment-variables-questiongiulio/

but I guess it is not a super simple thing to do..

Just wondering, is there perhaps a value that I can put in the "variable value field" to tell him "ask where to download each time"?

There is not. I have no plans to build that one in.

Edited by Vítor

Hello,

is there a way to get the previous version of DownVid?

The current version doesn’t run with Alfred 2, and I can’t upgrade to Alfred 3 yet because I’m still on Mountain Lion.