DEVONthink Document Search [updated to version 1.3]

Just downloaded it again, did a search in  DT and found a file. checked the Library and that directory still does not exist

You have to use the new devondb keyword to search a specific database. This will also create the database list in the workflow data folder. If you only have one database you can continue to use the devon keyword and no database list will be created.

The keyword is devondb ;)

Looks like you're having fun with this one and its getting lots of activity.

Eric added it to the DEVONtechnologies website so DEVONthink users can grab it there. Watch his blog next week the DEVONian Times on the website.

Looks like you're having fun with this one and its getting lots of activity.

Eric added it to the DEVONtechnologies website so DEVONthink users can grab it there. Watch his blog next week the DEVONian Times on the website.

Nice :)

• 3 weeks later...

Did you use the devon or devondb keyword?

Hi Marko,

I always just use "devon". I guess I have since you developed the workflow. I do see the other keywords in the workflow and have never used them but I can't remember now what they're even used for. I recall you added them on later for I think multi DB searches. DEVON the search term gives me what I'm looking for quite frequently. I'll jump to DEVONthink Pro Office though if I want to use the AI engine which I sometimes need to use. I think users would need to know though that the AI technology can only be accessed within DEVONthink and is a huge part of why one would want to use DEVONthink for filing of items in the inbox or search rather than say Evernote (plus there's other reasons to use DEVONthink). However, where the Alfred function comes in very handy is that the AI technology isn't necessary for a lot of search functions especially if you know fairly specifically what you're looking for e.g. Cameron Apple case.

On a side issue and you might know the answer to this as I think we might have used images when the DEVON function was being built is do you know what types of hosted images are supported by Alfred. My website tends to like png but not JPEG. The reason I ask is when I bought a remote logmein service they gave me access to their system called Cubby with a pile of bandwidth. Its a Sugarsync/Dropbox type service I've never heard of but it works well. However, I thought I wonder if I can take an image from one of their URL's as post it here and although the image will display fine in the Alfred forum when you go to post it Alfred says it doesn't support the extension. Now that might be either the extension or what the system is trying to do when the extension is activated. Like I said, I know nothing of this system except they gave it to me for free with all this bandwidth and I'd never say no to free and more bandwidth :).

On a side issue and you might know the answer to this as I think we might have used images when the DEVON function was being built is do you know what types of hosted images are supported by Alfred. My website tends to like png but not JPEG. The reason I ask is when I bought a remote logmein service they gave me access to their system called Cubby with a pile of bandwidth. Its a Sugarsync/Dropbox type service I've never heard of but it works well. However, I thought I wonder if I can take an image from one of their URL's as post it here and although the image will display fine in the Alfred forum when you go to post it Alfred says it doesn't support the extension. Now that might be either the extension or what the system is trying to do when the extension is activated. Like I said, I know nothing of this system except they gave it to me for free with all this bandwidth and I'd never say no to free and more bandwidth :).

Have you tried to use .jpg instead of .jpeg?

Marko,

I shouldn't have diverted your thread from DEVON to this URL thing. I tried the other DEVON stuff and it works fine. However, I just stick with DEVON search term and always have and haven't given it a second thought and have either found what I was looking for or not. Generally, at the point I don't find it I'll jump to DEVONthink and use the advanced search function (not the regular find) and see if what I'm looking for is there. If not, it's probably in mail or elsewhere and I just haven't brought it into DEVON. I try to bring most of my important stuff into DEVONthink and in fact am just now stashing almost everything into it via various mechanisms even the new PopClip extension. That way, it really is becoming almost my one place to go and find things. I do find that your Alfred workflow often turns up most of what I generally need though.

In terms of the image thing JPG wasn't the answer. PNG is. It is a hosted link and I can publish it to Wordpress no problem. So I opened a thread here on this and will follow up over on that one as this is a mystery to me now that I want to solve.

Tried both...refreshed database number of times.

Could you please try to run the following command in terminal:

/usr/bin/mdfind "kMDItemContentType == 'com.devon-technologies.metadata.think' || kMDItemContentType == 'com.devon-technologies.metadata.thinkpro'"

Do you get any results?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think that I have tried everything but I still can't get this workflow to work. The databases file is found, and they are presented to me when I type devondb but typing anything after that will result in the default web search options.

It looks like the databases can be found, but then an empty result set is returned. I get the following output in the workflow debug when trying to perform a search:

[INFO: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] <?xml version='1.0'?><items>
<item uid='14221781781' arg='all' valid='yes' autocomplete=''><title>All databases</title><subtitle></subtitle><icon>icon.png</icon></item> <item uid='14221781781' arg='1FC2FC0A-F56F-459E-81D3-F3C08DD4C449' valid='yes' autocomplete=''><title>Uno</title><subtitle></subtitle><icon>icon.png</icon></item> <item uid='14221781782' arg='A4E7913A-5E4A-4506-A5F8-FB2C2364E71E' valid='yes' autocomplete=''><title>Inbox</title><subtitle></subtitle><icon>icon.png</icon></item> </items>
[INFO: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] Processing output 'alfred.workflow.action.script' with arg 'all'
[INFO: alfred.workflow.input.scriptfilter] <?xml version='1.0'?><items>
</items>

Any help to get this to work would be much appreciated.