Uni Call [v6.031]: The missing universal audio, video call and text workflow for Alfred

slide-1.png
slide-4.png
Uni Call is an open source project and an Alfred workflow providing the fastest way to make whatever audio, video phone call or send whatever text message on your Mac OS X (ambitious :). It views your Apple Contacts (we love Apple address book and iCloud :) as the central place for all your contact information, and makes use of those information to help you initiate your phone calls or text messages as quickly as possible.

Please visit Uni Call's official project site (http://unicall.guiguan.net) for more details.

Edited by guiguan

Great workflow! Thanks!

Possible to add also call with Telephone?

Hi, Davide. I haven't used sip before, but I found that Telephone does support the url scheme sip:{query} (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/telephone-app/url$20scheme/telephone-app/UwbxCr8YV1A/iNU8BHIv7rQJ), so does Phone Amego (http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/sipURIs.html). The default sip handler can be set by Default Apps (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14618/rcdefaultapp).

I can certainly add a new call type "Sip Call". But before that, as I have no one to make a sip call to, could you please verify the url scheme to see if it works?

Hi, Davide. ...

I can certainly add a new call type "Sip Call". But before that, as I have no one to make a sip call to, could you please verify the url scheme to see if it works?

Hi Guiguan,

Thanks for your reply! Well, I would prefer to use the url scheme tel:{query}. So I can call everybody in my contacts, doesn't mater if land line, cell phone or VoIP. That works perfectly with Telephone from Contacts and links in Safari, e.g. <a href="tel:+123456789" target="_self">, but if I try it from Alfred Contacts action it doesn't work, regardless if I use sip:{query} or tel:{query}. The cursor jumps to Telephone App but without number.

Hi Guiguan,

Thanks for your reply! Well, I would prefer to use the url scheme tel:{query}. So I can call everybody in my contacts, doesn't mater if land line, cell phone or VoIP. That works perfectly with Telephone from Contacts and links in Safari, e.g. <a href="tel:+123456789" target="_self">, but if I try it from Alfred Contacts action it doesn't work, regardless if I use sip:{query} or tel:{query}. The cursor jumps to Telephone App but without number.

How about from your Terminal:

open "sip:+123456789" 

Does it work for you?

Edited by guiguan

Works perfectly with "sip:123456789@sipgate.com" or "tel:+123456789". I want to say, if I use "sip" the number must include @xxx.com at the end. But "tel" works always! Doesn't  matter what kind of number VoIP or what ever.

Edited by Davide

Works perfectly with "sip:123456789@sipgate.com" or "tel:+123456789". I will say, if I use "sip" the number must include of course @xxx.com at the end.

LOL, thanks for the correction. I will work on it in the coming weekend. Cheers!

Hey, guys. I have just released Uni Call v4.2. This is mainly a performance upgrade, which improves the response time when you are typing. Please download it now!

v4.2 (12/05/13)
  • The original Uni Call executable is now divided into two separate parts: the Uni Call Basestation and the Uni Call. The Uni Call Basestation is the one invoked everytime by Alfred, while the Uni Call is in turn spawned by Uni Call Basestation, which will continue to run in the background unless idling for 5 min. Basically, the Uni Call will sit there and wait to serve requests come from Uni Call Basestation (via TCP port number 28642). In this way, the consecutive requests come from Alfred could be served more quickly by Uni Call. In fact, it does improve the response time by 50% (Refer to the following figure)!

Uni-Call-42-Performance.png

• Options can now be used everywhere among the query. So "call guan -s gui" is equivalent to "call -s guan gui" and "call guan gui -s".

Sure, I ll look into that once I hv added SIP.

Just read that Viber is available for Mac OS. Maybe you like to include it if possible?

Hey, Davide. I got too many things at hand this weekend. I may have to postpone adding SIP or Viber call to next weekend. However, I managed to upgrade some basic infrastructures for Uni Call. Please refer to the changelog and check out the new version: http://guiguan.github.io/Uni-Call/ :P

Hey, guys. I have just released Uni Call v4.2. This is mainly a performance upgrade, which improves the response time when you are typing. Please download it now!

v4.2 (12/05/13)

• The original Uni Call executable is now divided into two separate parts: the Uni Call Basestation and the Uni Call. The Uni Call Basestation is the one invoked everytime by Alfred, while the Uni Call is in turn spawned by Uni Call Basestation, which will continue to run in the background unless idling for 5 min. Basically, the Uni Call will sit there and wait to serve requests come from Uni Call Basestation (via TCP port number 28642). In this way, the consecutive requests come from Alfred could be served more quickly by Uni Call. In fact, it does improve the response time by 50% (Refer to the following figure)!

Uni-Call-42-Performance.png

• Options can now be used everywhere among the query. So "call guan -s gui" is equivalent to "call -s guan gui" and "call guan gui -s".

I now get double results, Skype calls with and without avatars

Hey, Davide. I got too many things at hand this weekend. I may have to postpone adding SIP or Viber call to next weekend. However, I managed to upgrade some basic infrastructures for Uni Call. Please refer to the changelog and check out the new version: http://guiguan.github.io/Uni-Call/  :P

Hi Guiguan, thanks for the info and the new version 4.2. Works great on my machine!

One more request: I don't use Phone Amego but PushDialer. There is already a workflow for this but would be great to have all in one.

What do you think?

That's strange. What did u type? Did you overwrite your old version completely?

Okay, I did this: each color represents a number, and I deactivated the bluetooth calling, and I also removed all the custom contact actions, but it still apprears like this after a reinstall. is there a way to reset the whole thing? I tried deleting everything I could find before reinstalling it.

OuUY.jpg

Okay, I did this: each color represents a number, and I deactivated the bluetooth calling, and I also removed all the custom contact actions, but it still apprears like this after a reinstall. is there a way to reset the whole thing? I tried deleting everything I could find before reinstalling it.

OuUY.jpg

Wow, that's a mess. To reset, you just need to delete everything related to either Skype Call or Uni Call, and then install a fresh copy of the newest Uni Call.

To limit the functionality of Uni Call to just FaceTime and Skype, you could change the script filter "call" to:

./bin/Uni\ Call\ Basestation -fs {query}

Hope this helps :)

Wow, that's a mess. To reset, you just need to delete everything related to either Skype Call or Uni Call, and then install a fresh copy of the newest Uni Call.

To limit the functionality of Uni Call to just FaceTime and Skype, you could change the script filter "call" to:

./bin/Uni\ Call\ Basestation -fs {query}

Hope this helps :)

how do I go about "deleting everything" I deleted the workflow folder, is there more I can do? In the Library/Application Support Folder?

today I updated to 4.2. Now unfortunately my contacts are not shown anymore and I can't dial via phone amego. 

Then I deleted the workflow completely and installed it clean. Same problem. Strange.  :(

how do I go about "deleting everything" I deleted the workflow folder, is there more I can do? In the Library/Application Support Folder?

Okay, guys. Sorry for your trouble. Let's hunt down the problem:

1. Manually delete the thumbnail cache folder:

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/net.guiguan.Uni-Call/

2. Remove Uni Call from your Alfred Preferences:

delete-uni-call.png

3. Empty your Trash

4. Make sure from your System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Contacts, there is only one Uni Call entry:

Screen%20Shot%202013-05-13%20at%201.16.5

I got two there, because the another one is from my Xcode project's debug output folder. You should have strictly one Uni Call there. If it is not the case, you have to delete the corresponding Uni Call executable (possibly hiding in your Trash). When you delete the Uni Call executable, the entry shown in the figure will be automatically deleted.

5. Then go to reinstall Uni Call

I have tried the above steps, and mine is working fine.