iDevice Sync - Sync devices individually

iDevice Sync - v1.2
An Alfred 2 workflow for syncing your iDevices individually.
Github repo or Direct download

I highly recommend downloading this from Packal as they provide an updating feature for future versions of the workflow.

http://www.packal.org/workflow/idevice-sync

Features:
A simple workflow that allows you to sync your iDevices by name. The workflow is triggered by the keyword "sync".

Upon actioning, the workflow searches for all connected iDevices and lists them by name in an Alfred window. Actioning any of the iDevices in the list will tell iTunes to begin syncing the chosen iDevice. A notification is returned via the default notification system when the sync is complete.

Sync%20List.png
Sync%20Start.png
Sync%20Complete.png

Known Issues:
The method used for triggering the completion notification is a little hack-y and may be unreliable in some sync attempts. This will be improved as becomes possible based on the scripting ability of iTunes improving (unlikely).

Edited by smirky

Love it. Thanks for your work.

When I chose a Device it directly give a notification "Success" and it starts syncing.

But there is no notification after syncing is finished.

And is there a way to sync all devices together?

Great first start of your workflow. Once again thanks a lot. 

When I chose a Device it directly give a notification "Success" and it starts syncing.

Ah, shoot, like I said - the Success Notification is pretty hack-y. At least using Applescript (my language of choice) there isn't a simple way to determine when the sync is complete. My version uses a method of watching the iTunes window for changes in the GUI text/buttons and it doesn't always work, unfortunately. Scouring the web turns up no real solution, sadly, to this problem. I'm still playing with it a little bit, so maybe I'll find something that works more reliably.

There currently isn't a way to sync all devices in one shot. That was out of the original scope of this workflow, since I really only made it for myself at home. There are already two other workflows that do syncing, but someone requested that I post this version. Thinking more about it though, it would be simple to add a modifier key, or similar, that allows doing this. The main benefit would be to not have to install two separate workflows for syncing devices, and that's a nice option for folks to have. I'll add that to the top of my to-do list.

Thanks for the feedback, DJay!

I pushed an update to the original links that allows syncing all devices at once by using the 'alt' modifier key when selecting any device. If folks would prefer a seperate menu item for this, I'd be happy to add that instead (or in addition).

Also, I think I found a more reliable way to monitor iTunes for a completed sync. This seems to work quite well on OSX running the current iTunes 11. If anyone can provide input on how it works on other set-ups that would be great.

Let me know any issues, etc. Enjoy!

Direct download

Edited by smirky

I pushed an update to the original links that allows syncing all devices at once by using the 'alt' modifier key when selecting any device. If folks would prefer a seperate menu item for this, I'd be happy to add that instead (or in addition).

Also, I think I found a more reliable way to monitor iTunes for a completed sync. This seems to work quite well on OSX running the current iTunes 11. If anyone can provide input on how it works on other set-ups that would be great.

Let me know any issues, etc. Enjoy!

Direct download

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but while the workflow triggered my iPhone's sync beautifully, the "Completed syncing" notification appeared almost immediately after the process had started. It was syncing over WiFi, so maybe it was moving slower than expected?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but while the workflow triggered my iPhone's sync beautifully, the "Completed syncing" notification appeared almost immediately after the process had started. It was syncing over WiFi, so maybe it was moving slower than expected?

Oop, think you're right about the cause. I added a little bit that should help with any delayed start. See if the new version helps you at all.

Direct download (same as link above)