Workflow: Units - convert currency length temperature weight and more

I'm the author of the other converter and I have to say that there are a few tiny issues with the keywordless approach due to how Alfred works. The autocomplete (<tab>) is broken because it assumes that the number is the keyword.

I think it's evident there are some issues with the keyword-less method, far beyond the handful I predicted in my previous explanation. I would not recommend using it for anyone unless you understand the consequences. This is simply not how workflows are intended. It interferes with all kinds of native Alfred features..

The only real answer to these suggestions probably sounds something like this; If you think typing "Units" is too long for you, which I can understand if you happen to use this feature a lot. Than simply change the keyword to 'u' or anything that makes sense to you.

I assume this is a redundant tip, because if you are using Alfred Workflows in the first place, you will know how to do this, and you probably already did  :)

I think it's evident there are some issues with the keyword-less method, far beyond the handful I predicted in my previous explanation. I would not recommend using it for anyone unless you understand the consequences. This is simply not how workflows are intended. It interferes with all kinds of native Alfred features..

The only real answer to these suggestions probably sounds something like this; If you think typing "Units" is too long for you, which I can understand if you happen to use this feature a lot. Than simply change the keyword to 'u' or anything that makes sense to you.

I assume this is a redundant tip, because if you are using Alfred Workflows in the first place, you will know how to do this, and you probably already did   :)

Very true. The library I wrote is (for me at least) just a more advanced calculator with some unit conversions build in. Calculations similar to "2 * cos(pi)" are a regular occurance for me so for me it basically replaced the Alfred calculator :)

It definitely depends on your use-case.

Subnet calculating, for example... :)

i can also use the default calculator in OS X though, so no biggie. Using alfred would just be more convenient.

Thanks a lot, I must say that I have no knowledge on this topic whatsoever, but I will definitely look into it. It seems like one of those topics you should have at least a basic understanding of. So I will defs look into it, and I will notify you when i incorporate it into the workflow

+1 for the link

• 6 months later...

This workflow is pretty awesome.

1. Would there be a way to show default results that you want? For example:

Units EUR

- USD: 1.08

- AED: 4.00

- 1 EUR > Bitcoin

- 1 EUR > US Dollar

Or maybe shift the results so most used currencies are on top for faster access?

2. The other thing I was wondering was why:

units EUR AED returns 4 but units 1 EUR AED returns 4.0031?

3. Also also: Why not show immediately the conversion in the displayed results for user selected currencies? Actioning the item will copy it to clipboard. Continuing to type conversion currency will then display that one.

units EUR

- 1 Euro > 4.0031 United Arab Emirates Dirham

Currency AED

- 1 Euro > 1.0098 United States Dollar

Currency USD

&

units EUR SAR

- 4.009 Saudi Riyal

1 EUR > SAR

Edited by Leempi
  • 2 months later...

1kilobyte = 1000 bytes?  Isn't it 1024?

Is there a better tool out there for just converting mbps and so forth into other formats?

Please look into the mebibytes ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte) I'm using the proper decimal vs binary conversion according to ISO standards. This has been discussed multiple times before and it all depends on the discipline you're working in, so the only reasonable thing to do is to follow the International System of Units

• 9 months later...

Is this workflow known to work with Alfred3? I can't seem to get any results...  :unsure:

Starting debug for 'Units'

[2016-08-11 13:58:27][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] JSON error: JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set. in JSON:
Warning: simplexml_load_string(): Entity: line 1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/Alfred2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98CAE326-BE35-4DAC-B450-CB9F9569EAE5/units_v2.php on line 960

Warning: simplexml_load_string(): The page you requested was removed. in /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/Alfred2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98CAE326-BE35-4DAC-B450-CB9F9569EAE5/units_v2.php on line 960

Warning: simplexml_load_string(): ^ in /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/Alfred2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98CAE326-BE35-4DAC-B450-CB9F9569EAE5/units_v2.php on line 960

Is this workflow known to work with Alfred3? I can't seem to get any results...  :unsure:

Starting debug for 'Units'

[2016-08-11 13:58:27][ERROR: input.scriptfilter] JSON error: JSON text did not start with array or object and option to allow fragments not set. in JSON:
Warning: simplexml_load_string(): Entity: line 1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/Alfred2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98CAE326-BE35-4DAC-B450-CB9F9569EAE5/units_v2.php on line 960

Warning: simplexml_load_string(): The page you requested was removed. in /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/Alfred2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98CAE326-BE35-4DAC-B450-CB9F9569EAE5/units_v2.php on line 960

Warning: simplexml_load_string(): ^ in /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/Alfred2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.98CAE326-BE35-4DAC-B450-CB9F9569EAE5/units_v2.php on line 960

@Auco If you download the latest version it should work fine ( http://designandsuch.com/work/alfred-workflow-units )

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JLoun said:

Hi, could you please release an older version that's compatible with Alfred 2? The current v3.4 doesn't seem to be working. 

A (temporary) solution could be to use the unit converter I wrote: http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/5256-advanced-calculator-with-fast-off-line-unit-converter/

It's a lot faster and functions without an internet connection and it supports Alfred 2 without a problem. I should note that it probably supports less features so it's a small trade-off :)

Edited by wolph
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

@Tsunami is correct. In the case of @greenamit I was able to confirm that the server did not block the specific IPs. 

It's hard to figure out how many users have issues with this, since there are still a lot of people using Units without any problems. 

Anyhow just wanted to let you all know that I checked with my hosting provider and they confirmed that there where no blocks or problems on their side.

Adding my 2 cents here - stopped working for me as well a few days ago. Both the workflow and the download page aren't working. Trying to curl results in:

❯❯❯ curl http://units.dnsu.ch/download -vvv
*   Trying 195.238.74.50...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to units.dnsu.ch (195.238.74.50) port 80 (#0)
> GET /download HTTP/1.1
> Host: units.dnsu.ch
> User-Agent: curl/7.54.0
> Accept: */*
>
* Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
* stopped the pause stream!
* Closing connection 0
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

Maybe it'll help somehow. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...