Store images in Alfred's clipboard history, allow images in clipboard snippets

It would be really cool if Alfred had an option for storing images in Clipboard History. Plain text is easy to search and light on resources, but limiting if you rely on images (e.g. graphic designer).

When using snippets and/or workflow clipboard objects, {clipboard} should be able to inject images stored in the Clipboard.

This would obviously increase Alfred's memory usage; if implemented, it should definitely be optional. Maybe even separate settings that set limits on how big a stored image can be (just like the current implementation for text clipping size).

Cheers :)

• 2 weeks later...

+1000

I still run LaunchBar (which I had purchased before switching to Alfred) solely for it's clipboard history (to fill the only real gap in Alfred's functionality).  A new Alfred clipboard history that can reliably recall my last ~40 clipboard entries (like LaunchBar does) without cherry picking only certain types of content (like Alfred currently does) would allow me to finally drop LaunchBar altogether.  I've looked at other clipboard history tools, but they are all too heavy with unnecessary bells & whistles that make them less efficient than LaunchBar's approach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be really cool if Alfred had an option for storing images in Clipboard History. Plain text is easy to search and light on resources, but limiting if you rely on images (e.g. graphic designer).

When using snippets and/or workflow clipboard objects, {clipboard} should be able to inject images stored in the Clipboard.

This would obviously increase Alfred's memory usage; if implemented, it should definitely be optional. Maybe even separate settings that set limits on how big a stored image can be (just like the current implementation for text clipping size).

Cheers :)

+1

Agreed completely.  I would even go so far as a "Remember the last {#} of images copied" setting, totally separate from the text copying history.  So you could have it limited to five images, or whatever.  (Or, yes, just limit it to 5 MB or whatev.)

• 1 month later...

OK, as a designer/photographer/painter, I must add my voice to be heard....when I installed the powerpack I was already so impressed and excited about Alfred’s attributes that I simply assumed images support would be there and was surprised to see that it didn’t exist. For years I’ve been using the cool You Software’s You Control app which added a lot of other cool things beyond multiple persistent clip boards with images, like creating custom menus for the Mac’s top menu bar, clock appearance config controls, pop out calendars which you could tear off for persistence on the finder screen, lots more really, but they have closed their website and the app hasn’t been updated in 3 or 4 years and sadly it’s getting wonky. So I thought Alfred would take it’s place, sadly to find it lacking one of my absolutely crucial elements.

So developers...pretty please?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why not just install ClipMenu? It's free, does all the things requested in this thread, and is extensible via JavaScript.

Alfred's clipboard history is a great implementation of its limited feature set, but Alfred isn't a clipboard manager, and it seems to me an actual clipboard management app would be a better solution.

Why not just install ClipMenu? It's free, does all the things requested in this thread, and is extensible via JavaScript.

Alfred's clipboard history is a great implementation of its limited feature set, but Alfred isn't a clipboard manager, and it seems to me an actual clipboard management app would be a better solution.

Does ClipMenu inject images at placeholders like {clipboard}? I couldn't find that in the interface.

Also, ClipMenu isn't Developer signed or Retina-ready.

Does ClipMenu inject images at placeholders like {clipboard}? I couldn't find that in the interface.

I don't quite follow you there. Where would this placeholder be, and how would you insert binary image data into a text placeholder?

Also, ClipMenu isn't Developer signed or Retina-ready.

OTOH, it does what you want. As do dozens of other clipboard managers. Which Alfred really isn't.

I don't quite follow you there. Where would this placeholder be, and how would you insert binary image data into a text placeholder?

In many apps, you can copy images and text at once and paste them in the same manner. Like copying a Mail message with an embedded image. Alfred could do the same thing, injecting a binary image at the {clipboard} placeholder in a snippet.

One could also save an image as a snippet and give it a name for easy retrieval later.

OTOH, it does what you want. As do dozens of other clipboard managers. Which Alfred really isn't.

True, it does/they do keep a record of copied images. These solutions may be perfectly suitable for many users.

The only thing I haven't found yet is a clipboard manager that follows Alfred's techniques: fast, searchable, mouse-free, and with a snippet-like feature.

In many apps, you can copy images and text at once and paste them in the same manner. Like copying a Mail message with an embedded image. Alfred could do the same thing, injecting a binary image at the {clipboard} placeholder in a snippet.

One could also save an image as a snippet and give it a name for easy retrieval later.

Got you. You mean rich text.

True, it does/they do keep a record of copied images. These solutions may be perfectly suitable for many users.

The only thing I haven't found yet is a clipboard manager that follows Alfred's techniques: fast, searchable, mouse-free, and with a snippet-like feature.

Me neither, alas. But Alfred only does plain text, and it just strikes me as more sensible to chase up the developer of a clipboard manager to add search/keyboard shortcuts than the developer of an app launcher to add a full-featured clipboard manager.

Personally, I use ClipMenu for my clipboard and TextExpander for snippets. Right tool for the job and all that.

Got you. You mean rich text.

Me neither, alas. But Alfred only does plain text, and it just strikes me as more sensible to chase up the developer of a clipboard manager to add search/keyboard shortcuts than the developer of an app launcher to add a full-featured clipboard manager.

Personally, I use ClipMenu for my clipboard and TextExpander for snippets. Right tool for the job and all that.

I tried ClipMenu. It was completely unreliable for me. I'd select item #1 and it would paste item #2. I'd select item #2 and it would paste item #1. Alfred, on the other hand, is 100% reliable. Personally, I'd love for Alfred to completely replace clipboard managers and Keyboard Maestro. I _don't_ want or expect it to completely replace Text Expander. 

Interesting. ClipMenu has been 100% reliable for me.

Can't ever see Alfred replacing Keyboard Maestro. That thing's an utter beast! I reckon it'd be easier to replace Text Expander :)

It'd definitely be nice if I could get rid of one or two icons in the menu bar, say ClipMenu and FastScripts, but not if that slows Alfred down any.

But tbh, I'd rather Andrew spent his finite time expanding the functionality available to workflows.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...