iDoneThis For Alfred 2

Update: 10/16/2014

---

Major bug fix update to the iDoneThis for Alfred workflow today.  Grab the latest version here on GitHub!: http://bit.ly/1sXOk1q

The main fix here is you can now actually include single and double quotes in your dones without it throwing you an error.

so this will actually post → idid chad's first done via the new alfred "workflow" ← see what i did there.  :-)

---

Update: 09/29/2014

---

You can now get the new workflow and your API token on your own.  The iDoneThis team is allowing anyone access to the API now.  Enjoy!    https://github.com/chadhs/idonethis-for-alfred

---

Hey everyone, the time is here!

The lovely folks over at iDoneThis are in alpha testing for their API and have invited me to participate.  I've already revamped the plugin and you can find it here: https://github.com/chadhs/idonethis-for-alfred

Please contact me directly via email if you'd like instructions on how to get your token to join in testing.  Please be mindful that the plugin is prerelease and some changes / breakages may occur.  I will work very hard to keep pace with these changes.  Thank you.

Best wishes,

Chad

The current plugin is considered deprecated but won't be removed bitbucket in case it's still working for you FYI

iDoneThis For Alfred 2

Script & attempt at creating an icon by:  
Chad Stovern  
chadhs@digitalnomad.im

Summary:
I made this workflow as the old iDoneThis workflow is for Alfred 1 and to the best of my knowledge has not been updated.
This workflow uses Mac OS X built–in sendmail binary to quickly send updates to your [iDoneThis.com](http://idonethis.com) account.

Download / README:

Installation:
Simply download and double–click the workflow file to install.  
Then edit the bash script to fill out your name and the email address tied to your [iDoneThis.com](http://idonethis.com) account; it will be at the top of the script and look just like this.

## Set your name & email address here
from_name="John Doe"
from_addr="jdoe@example.com"

Type "idid" followed bey your update and press enter; you're done!
Edited by chadhs

This uses sendmail, and is super simple, which rocks. For the folks on Mountain Lion, however, Apple tweaked things & sendmail no longer works out of the box. You'll need to run these commands to get it going again:

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Server/Mail/Data/spool
sudo /usr/sbin/postfix set-permissions
sudo /usr/sbin/postfix start

See this AskDifferent question for reference.

This uses sendmail, and is super simple, which rocks. For the folks on Mountain Lion, however, Apple tweaked things & sendmail no longer works out of the box. You'll need to run these commands to get it going again:

sudo mkdir -p /Library/Server/Mail/Data/spool
sudo /usr/sbin/postfix set-permissions
sudo /usr/sbin/postfix start

See this AskDifferent question for reference.

Glad you like the plugin Jeff.  I contacted the iDoneThis folks and I believe they will list this in addition to the plugin for Alfred v1 under their "apps" section.

I didn't have to do the above steps to make it work on Mountain Lion (which both my machines are running).  Can you confirm this is still needed?  If yes I can add it to the README on (Edit: github) bitbucket.  Thanks!

Edited by chadhs
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad you like the plugin Jeff.  I contacted the iDoneThis folks and I believe they will list this in addition to the plugin for Alfred v1 under their "apps" section.

I didn't have to do the above steps to make it work on Mountain Lion (which both my machines are running).  Can you confirm this is still needed?  If yes I can add it to the README on (Edit: github) bitbucket.  Thanks!

Yes, I have had to do that, and @alwaysunday seems to have had the same experience. It's possible that you'd already enabled sendmail at some point in the past for something else (some local web dev, perhaps?)

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm on Maverick and I can't seem to make the iDoneThis For Alfred 2 workflow work for me. I've tried the sendmail fix posted earlier, but it still doesn't work. I've checked my settings in the script itself, and still nothing.

Note: I've changed the notification to show {body}, i.e., the content of the email I'm sending to iDoneThis, and it shows as empty in the notification. So it looks like nothing is being output by the script... though I'm not sure how to test it exactly. 

Anyone has heard of anything regarding this workflow and Maverick? If you have a suggestion it'd be most welcome...

Hey everyone.  I was not getting notifications here on replies to this thread.  I think that is fixed.  I'll work my way through the replies as soon as I have time.  I use this plugin daily and anything I can do to fix/bulletproof/enhance it helps us all.  Thanks for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

To make IDT workflow work with cyrillic characters, I injected extra headers into the bash script:

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\nContent-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n

IDoneThis receives and displays UTF-8 strings now correctly.

I'll be sure to incorporate this in an update as soon as I am able to.  Thanks much!

• 1 month later...

For those still trying to get it to work, check that outgoing port 25 is not blocked by your ISP. (Just try `telnet yourserver.com 25`, if it times out, it's likely blocked.)

To set up sendmail to use authentication, check this out: http://benjaminrojas.net/configuring-postfix-to-send-mail-from-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/

Very nice I will test this out myself and include instructions and a link to your post in the README.md.  Also right now there is no API access to iDoneThis though they do want to add it in the future — so we're stuck doing this via email till that time.

To make IDT workflow work with cyrillic characters, I injected extra headers into the bash script:

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit\nContent-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8\n

IDoneThis receives and displays UTF-8 strings now correctly.

I'll be sure to incorporate this in an update as soon as I am able to.  Thanks much!

UTF8 header changes have been incorporated.  My status update of "“ ” ‘ ’ – — … ‐ ‒ ° © ® ™ • ½ ¼ ¾ ⅓ ⅔ † ‡ µ ¢ £ € « » ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦ ¿ �" worked just fine.  ^_^

Thanks for the tip! I haven't been able to use the "mate" command as suggested in step 1 of the post – I just get a "command not found" response – so I'll have to look into later to see how I can make it work. But again thanks for the contribution! 

Thanks for the tip! I haven't been able to use the "mate" command as suggested in step 1 of the post – I just get a "command not found" response – so I'll have to look into later to see how I can make it work. But again thanks for the contribution! 

I think that can just be replaced by vim or nano; and that he's just editing the file.  Unless I skimmed that ***way*** to fast.

I haven't been able to get this to work with 10.9.1, which has kept me from using IDT altogether. If it's not keystrokes away, I forget to use it.

I went through the sendmail instructions like before but I'm not seeing anything show up on IDT. Name + email are correct ... anyone else having this issue?

I haven't been able to get this to work with 10.9.1, which has kept me from using IDT altogether. If it's not keystrokes away, I forget to use it.

I went through the sendmail instructions like before but I'm not seeing anything show up on IDT. Name + email are correct ... anyone else having this issue?

I'm currently using it on 10.9.1.  Is there a chance your port 25 is being limited outbound from your ISP?  What does a `mailq` command give you for output after the fact?

I'd recommend trying to authenticate to your mail host like benklocek was trying above.  I have yet to test this out myself as I'm using this at work and allowed to sendmail outbound from my Mac atm.

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone, the time is here!

The lovely folks over at iDoneThis are in alpha testing for their API and have invited me to participate.  I've already revamped the plugin and you can find it here: https://github.com/chadhs/idonethis-for-alfred

Please contact me directly via email if you'd like instructions on how to get your token to join in testing.  Please be mindful that the plugin is prerelease and some changes / breakages may occur.  I will work very hard to keep pace with these changes.  Thank you.

Best wishes,

Chad

A couple more updates to the workflow:

https://github.com/chadhs/idonethis-for-alfred

- added some internal insturctions in the run script block for people that skim the readme to fast (with link back to readme and my contact info for help)
- changed the notification output to the return value from the API call so users can see if their done was created or if there was an error (right now this is a json response; in the future i will use some sort of filter to give a friendlier non developer centric message.)
  • 2 months later...