EggTimer v2 [updated to 2.0 final]

• 2 months later...

I am looking for a way to repeat a timer every x minutes/hours. 

The "repeat" keyword lets me repeat a timer but I have to type the keyword every time I want to repeat a timer. 

Is there a way I could say timer "1H30 work session" repeat 4 times in on time?

Thank you.

I am looking for a way to repeat a timer every x minutes/hours. 

The "repeat" keyword lets me repeat a timer but I have to type the keyword every time I want to repeat a timer. 

Is there a way I could say timer "1H30 work session" repeat 4 times in on time?

Thank you.

Hey there, you can do a auto-repeating timer with "timer every 1:30 work session". However, you'll have to manually stop it when you're done with it, you can't (yet?) specify it to only run 4 times.

Cheers. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I think there might be some kind of permission error with one of the working folders. Can you check the write permissions of "/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data" make sure it and all subfolders are write-enabled?

You might also have to reset the workflow ("timer nuke") to get it going again. That did the trick for me. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

C

Thanks a lot for the workflow, Carlos. That's very useful. One thing though - there's no such a folder in Yosemite:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data"/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data"

The good news is that the command "timer nuke" of your workflow did the trick.

Thanks again.

Edited by aharry

Thanks a lot for the workflow, Carlos. That's very useful. One thing though - there's no such a folder in Maverick:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data"/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2/Workflow Data"

The good news is that the command "timer nuke" of your workflow did the trick.

Thanks again.

Oh good, glad you got it working. Was about to refer you to that solution. Yeah, it's been a common issue -- something seems to happen to the permissions on the settings folders, usually when upgrading OS versions. "timer nuke" to reset everything is the simplest remedy. :)

Cheers.

thanks, and I have to rectify one word I used in my post in order not to confuse somebody and make them lose time - I personally couldn't find the folder not on Maverick but on Yosemite. (I've already corrected the post). Yet it's worth highlighting that searching for the folder to check it's content permissions was not needed anyway because only the 'timer nuke' did the trick.

Thanks again for your support and this outstanding workflow. Have a great day.

Edited by aharry
  • 3 months later...

Hello!, nice workflow :)

When creating a timer, i cannot see them when o list them (`timers` in alfred), i'm using el capitan, is this expected?

Hi there, yes, this seems to be a common problem when upgrading the OS -- it must reset folder permissions for some reason.

Anyway, best bet is to reset the workflow to default settings with the "timer nuke" command. That should take care of it.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed EggTimer v2 and am able to set a timer, but 'timer help' does not work. The notification pops up but the page doesn't open in my browser (Chrome). The only thing I can think of on my end that might be getting in the way is Choosy, a system preference panel that allows you to choose between browsers when an app opens a link. But even with that disabled the help page doesn't show up.

Best,

Todd

I just installed EggTimer v2 and am able to set a timer, but 'timer help' does not work. The notification pops up but the page doesn't open in my browser (Chrome). The only thing I can think of on my end that might be getting in the way is Choosy, a system preference panel that allows you to choose between browsers when an app opens a link. But even with that disabled the help page doesn't show up.

Best,

Todd

Hi Todd, I can confirm that this is something to do with Choosy, but not sure what exactly. It was working fine for me, I installed Choosy, I messed around with a couple of settings and it still seemed to be working. However, when I uninstalled Choosy, it wouldn't work. I think this happens when there is a default browswer selected in the system that is not available. I went back to Firefox settings and re-checked "Make default" (FF is my default browser) and it worked fine again.

Also, I note that Choosy has an option to "Enable Choosy for HTML files", which would be relevant to this as the help file is a locally stored HTML file.

Hope that helps in some way.

Cheers,

Carl.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed that EggTimer initiates sticky notifications (upon timer completion) with Growl, but not Notification Center. I like the sticky notifications, but Growl is largely unsupported at this point. Any ideas on how I can get Notification Center to display similarly to Growl?

Hey, that's a great suggestion, but I'm not sure it's possible at this point. The ways you can control NC notifications are limited, which is why I left Growl in as an option. I see Notifications can now be triggered by Applescript (which I may implement), but not seeing any way to control whether they're sticky or not, except as a global per-app setting in NC settings. If anyone has any other info regarding this, please let me know.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Thanks for this excellent Alfred app.

Please may I trouble you to let me know where I can find the docs since 'timer help' no longer seems to go anywhere?

Thanks, cheers, -Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for your feedback. The "help" feature *should* be working -- it is for me, at least. All it does is open an html page within the workflow bundle in your default browser, so I'd guess that the problem is something to do with your system not allowing the browser to open the page.

Anyway, if you go to the workflow folder (right-click "Show in Finder" on EggTimer on Alfred's "Workflows" tab), then look in the "docs" folder, and open "help.html".

Hope that helps.

Carl.

• 4 weeks later...

I was having the same "no timers" problem AND wanted Notification Center sticky notifications that I've seen on many messages in these threads. I've got timer working exactly the way I want now and it's freaking awesome. I'm using El Cap and here's what I did:

To get the "Current Timer" functionality to work I ran "timer nuke" to reset everything, then created an ALARM. Once I created the alarm, everything shows up as it should when looking at the timers. Dunnow why, but nothing showed up until the alarm existed.

To get Notification Center sticky notifications (no Growl), go to System Preferences -> Notifications and look for Alfred. Set Alfred's alerts to "Banner". In the same window look for EggTimer and set it's behavior to "Alerts". Now when I create a timer or alarm I get a notification that goes away after a few seconds, but when a timer goes off it stays there until I click "Close". Perfect!

Hope this helps someone and thanks Carl for a killer tool!

• 1 month later...

How can one change the sound that EggTimer makes when it is done? 

Thank you for such a great workflow.

Right-click on the Workflow in Alfred Preferences and select "Show in Finder". Then in the sounds folder is a file called "alarm_done.mp3". You should be able to replace this with an mp3 file of your own, just rename it to "alarm_done.mp3"

Hope that helps.

Carl.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated to Alfred 3 and get this now every time I want to execute the workflow :

LpRWdFG.png

Pressing either of the options doesn't do anything and this pop up comes back again after I try and execute the workflow once more.

Edited by nikivi

Updated to Alfred 3 and get this now every time I want to execute the workflow :

LpRWdFG.png

Pressing either of the options doesn't do anything and this pop up comes back again after I try and execute the workflow once more.

Okay, so obviously this workflow hasn't been updated for Alfred 3 yet. It's working (mostly) for me, but I chose to "migrate settings" when updating to A3, but I'm guessing you didn't do this?

Anyway, you might be able to fix it by manually updating the preferences location. Reveal the workflow in Finder, go into "scripts" and open "first_run_check.sh" and "includes.sh" in a text editor. Change any references to "Alfred 2" to "Alfred 3". Then "nuke" the workflow by running "timer nuke" and see how it goes after that.

As I said, it's currently working for me, so I can't test that procedure properly, but hopefully you can figure your way through it. If not, you'll probably have to wait until I update it for Alfred 3. Which probably won't be for a little while.

Good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgraded to Alfred 3

I'm running into an issue - when the timer alert finishes, the banner notification does not show. It shows when the timer starts though. 

I've gone through and replaced all Alfred 2 and Alfred-2 with 3, using 

grep -rl "tell application \"Alfred-2\"" * | uniq

Guess there's some other trip up with switching to Alfred 3 because it works well in Alfred 2.

Thanks Carlos! This app is really awesome.

Okay I think I figured it out.

In file, notify_functions.sh in the scripts folder of the EggTimer workflow, the $notification variable isn't set. I think this is because the plist info.plist file doesn't carry over to Alfred 3 perfectly.

I just hard coded 

notification=NC

at the top of the file, just below function definition.

Here's my whole notify_functions.sh file:

notify () {

notification=NC

#What is the chosen notification method?
prefs=$(cat info.plist | tr -d '\n\t') #Load workflow's settings info
if [[ "$prefs" = *'<key>output</key><integer>0</integer>'* ]]; then
notification=default
fi
if [[ "$prefs" = *'<key>output</key><integer>1</integer>'* ]]; then
notification=NC
fi
if [[ "$prefs" = *'<key>output</key><integer>2</integer>'* ]]; then
notification=growl
fi

if [ $notification = default ]; then
notpref=$(cat ../../preferences/notifications/prefs.plist | tr -d '\n\t')
if [[ "$notpref" = *'<key>defaultoutput</key><integer>1</integer>'* ]]; then
notification=growl
else
notification=NC
fi
fi

if [ "$5" = alarm ]; then
growl_icon="$PWD/resources/icon_alarm.png"
nc_icon="$PWD/resources/icon_alarm.icns"
dummy_app="EggTimer Alarm"
else
growl_icon="$PWD/icon.png"
nc_icon="$PWD/resources/icon.icns"
dummy_app="EggTimer"
fi

if [ $notification = growl ]; then
osascript <<EOD
set imgfd to open for access POSIX file "$growl_icon"
set img to read imgfd as "TIFF"
close access imgfd
tell application id "com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp"
notify with name "$1" title "$2" description "$3\n$4" application name "EggTimer for Alfred" sticky "true" image img
end tell
EOD
fi

if [ $notification = NC ]; then
./MountainNotifier/MountainNotifier "$dummy_app" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$nc_icon"
fi
}

Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...