"Reveal file in Finder" doesn't work for documents in iCloud [Accepted]

CatOne

Hi,

The "Reveal file in Finder" option does nothing for files that are in iCloud.  This is different than what happens for files that aren't in iCloud, where the option, well, reveals the files in Finder ;-)

I suspect that because OS X restricts viewing the ~/Library/Mobile Documents that the defaults can't work here, but is there a way the file could be shown in the "All my Files" canned search instead?  Currently this option just does nothing, with no user feedback at all.

As a use case: I may want to delete a file or rename it or something  ;)

Edited by CatOne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The "Reveal file in Finder" option does nothing for files that are in iCloud.  This is different than what happens for files that aren't in iCloud, where the option, well, reveals the files in Finder ;-)

I suspect that because OS X restricts viewing the ~/Library/Mobile Documents that the defaults can't work here, but is there a way the file could be shown in the "All my Files" canned search instead?  Currently this option just does nothing, with no user feedback at all.

As a use case: I may want to delete a file or rename it or something  ;)

I was able to replicate this issue and will see what Andrew's input is on this item. Thanks for reporting. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this?

And also wondering if this is the same as what I am wanting/ trying to do:

I am used to typing in a ' and then a keyword in a file I am looking for.  But since I have some files saved in the cloud via the Apple Pages app on my Mac (Mountail Lion), using that same approach does not bring up files in saved in the cloud.  So I have to open the Pages and app and look that way.

Is there a way to have Alfred also look in the cloud, in such a case, for my files there as well?

Thanks.  I use Alfred all day every day, but at the same time am not a power user enough to understand the fine nuances of how it works as such.

Any update on this?

And also wondering if this is the same as what I am wanting/ trying to do:

I am used to typing in a ' and then a keyword in a file I am looking for.  But since I have some files saved in the cloud via the Apple Pages app on my Mac (Mountail Lion), using that same approach does not bring up files in saved in the cloud.  So I have to open the Pages and app and look that way.

Is there a way to have Alfred also look in the cloud, in such a case, for my files there as well?

Thanks.  I use Alfred all day every day, but at the same time am not a power user enough to understand the fine nuances of how it works as such.

I've been investigating the reveal in finder issue and at this point, it looks like OS X simply ignores the reveal in finder for documents stored within the iCloud containers, possibly by design, possibly a bug... I'll find out sooner or later.

As for finding pages documents in the cloud, Alfred should find this... make sure that ~/Library/Mobile Documents/ is in Alfred's Features > Default Results search scope, it should be by default.