Last.fm + Alfred = Alfred.fm

This workflow was created to easily enable the user to perform several actions with the last.fm interface without needing to access the web interface or the desktop application: only with Alfred!

After some time using Alfred I decided to create a workflow for last.fm, since I am a heavy user and there was no workflow. This workflow allows users to love, ban, tag and untag the track currently playing in itunes, get information about artists, events, etc... Please keep in mind that this is my first shot developing a workflow.

Any suggestions, features you wanted implemented, please list them! I'll do what I can to further develop the workflow.

To get started, and to use all the features you have to setup Alfred.fm. You can do this by calling: alfredfm <lastfm_username>. It will open a browser tab and you have to click ok. After this step a notification will say if it was successful or not.

If it was successful, you can now use all the methods, even those that need you to be authenticated.

Screenshot

Alfred.fm

GitHub Repo

Edited by fbarros

Hi,

Thanks for your work.

I'm also an heavy user of lastfm.

I downloaded your workflow, installed it, typed alfredfm MyUsername but nothing happened. no browser opening or tab ...

Any idea ? Do I have to download other resources ?

Thanks

I think it may be because i'm using OS X Mavericks and the ruby version is 2.0.0 while previous OS X still have ruby 1.8.7. I'll look into it as soon as possible 

Thanks! I'm having the same issue - no browser window opens when I try to do the setup (OS X 10.8.5).

Your workflow looks awesome, though, can't wait to try it :)

Thanks! I'm having the same issue - no browser window opens when I try to do the setup (OS X 10.8.5).

Your workflow looks awesome, though, can't wait to try it :)

Sorry not to have any usable workflow for this, but I couldn't work this out yet. I'm doing the best I can to make it compatible with ruby 1.8.7. I hope I manage to solve this during this week.

This is the problem of working in beta machines :P

Yeah, that would have been me :). Unluckily, my efforts went at cross purposes with Filipe’s ongoing refactoring of the original extension, so that there are, currently, two incompatible versions: the one Filipe is maintaining, which will only run on Ruby 1.9+, and my fork, which will work with all Ruby versions from 1.8 (standard on current OS X) to 2.0 and contains some fixes and improvements not currently present in Filipe’s.

Filipe has kindly announced he will try to merge both versions, but until he gets around to doing that, if you are on OS X < NDA-you-are-not-meant-to-mention-that, my fork might be your best solution. Still, all kudos to him for the development work, it’s an awesome extension, which is why I felt it needed system Ruby compatibility below OS X dont-you-mention-it (I could actually have made it run on my system by forcing it to use my Ruby 2 install, but thought other might appreciate not having to install a separate Ruby version).

Edited by kopischke
Hi guys!

Thank you for your efforts (both of you), but sadly I'm having the same problem shayonpal reported....

Last.fm's authentication page opens, I click the button and a couple of seconds later I get the "authentication failed" notification, every time. I tried reinstalling the workflow, but no luck (this is with kopischke's version, by the way).

Whatever the issue might be, I have no problem waiting for Mavericks (assuming Mountain Lion is causing the authentication failure).

Hello,

I just updated the workflow and the links. Please give it a try and tell me if you still have the problems. If you still can't set it up correctly, send me a private message with the log file in ~/Library/Logs/Alfred-Workflow.log.

Best regards,

Filipe

The issue is with an incompatibility with Ruby 1.8 when writing the configuration file on authorization. I thought I already fixed that, but I obviously lost the changes somehow and did not catch this when submitting my changes to Filipe. My bad entirely (Filipe can’t test 1.8 compatibility). I also fixed the track actions, which would not work in Ruby 1.8 after Filipe refactored them in the 1.1.1 release.

There is an unofficial 1.1.2 release here, and I submitted a pull request to Filipe, so expect the official release to catch up very soon.

SUCCESS!!!

Bildschirmfoto%202013-10-01%20um%2023.18

Everything's working perfectly now with the latest version, yay!
This workflow is absolutely fantastic, seriously, I love it!

Thank you both so much, especially for making the workflow run on Mountain Lion - as a huge Last.fm fan I will be using this constantly...
Alfred + Last.fm = totally awesome  :D

Thanks again guys!

You heard the man: do open issues on GitHub if anything is amiss. I’m following the repo and will try to pick up anything that looks like it is Ruby 1.8 related pronto. To help me do that, please do not forget to include your system stats when posting issues (i.e. Running Alfred 2.0.8 (212) on OS X 10.8.5, German locale). And thanks to Filipe for his terrific work on this!

Edited by kopischke
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! Does anybody know how to change the media player in which the workflow searches for a currently playing song to a player other than iTunes (for instance to Swinsian or Vox)? 

This workflow looks fantastic, but if you could use any player it would be even more awesome!

Thank you!

Hi! Does anybody know how to change the media player in which the workflow searches for a currently playing song to a player other than iTunes (for instance to Swinsian or Vox)? 

This workflow looks fantastic, but if you could use any player it would be even more awesome!

Thank you!

This feature would depend on the API's these media players have. I will see if there's any method to check the track info and will say something!