Toggl workflow

• 4 weeks later...

I fell in love and got dependent on this workflow quite quickly!

And then it stopped working. :( 

Whereas when I used to type tgl, a myriad of options would come up, now it just says "Talking to Toggl..." and nothing happens.

Is it maybe that Toggl changed something in the API? Or is there a setting I can look at to fix this? Sorry, totally new to workflows (and forums) and trying to post this question in the best possible place. Thank you. :)

I fell in love and got dependent on this workflow quite quickly!

And then it stopped working. :(

Whereas when I used to type tgl, a myriad of options would come up, now it just says "Talking to Toggl..." and nothing happens.

Is it maybe that Toggl changed something in the API? Or is there a setting I can look at to fix this? Sorry, totally new to workflows (and forums) and trying to post this question in the best possible place. Thank you. :)

So you see that message just from typing 'tgl'? Is that the only option you see?

Can anyone help me understand why my commands within the workflow do not register. What should I do to fix this? 

Here is a video to show : http://quick.as/ZVymHYBbd

I believe I have used the previous version of toggl long before and it is still saved into my account but it does not work for some reason.

Thank you for any help. 

Somehow I missed this message until now -- sorry about that. In case you haven't already figured out whatever the issue is, how are you selecting menu items? For example, if you type 'tgl', scroll down to the 'tags' option, and press Enter, the workflow should add 'tags' to the query, so that the query becomes 'tgl tags'.

Yep. See screenshot... it WAS working perfectly, then this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt65247ybpb6uk6/Screenshot%202015-12-02%2008.27.58.png?dl=0

Try this: Open Alfred's preferences, select the "Workflows" section at the top, and then select the "Toggl" workflow. Click the little "bug" (debug) icon in the upper right part of the workflow work space. That will open up a text area (debug pane) in the bottom part of the Alfred preferences window. Try using the Toggl workflow then, and see what is displayed in the debug pane. If possible, paste it here or take a screenshot.

Try this: Open Alfred's preferences, select the "Workflows" section at the top, and then select the "Toggl" workflow. Click the little "bug" (debug) icon in the upper right part of the workflow work space. That will open up a text area (debug pane) in the bottom part of the Alfred preferences window. Try using the Toggl workflow then, and see what is displayed in the debug pane. If possible, paste it here or take a screenshot.

:( it doesn't do anything... nothing displays in the debug pane either. I've tried deleting the workflow, deleting the folder from the workflows, and reinstalling... nothing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7llkd7d0avnx7a/Screenshot%202015-12-03%2019.37.42.png?dl=0

Somehow I missed this message until now -- sorry about that. In case you haven't already figured out whatever the issue is, how are you selecting menu items? For example, if you type 'tgl', scroll down to the 'tags' option, and press Enter, the workflow should add 'tags' to the query, so that the query becomes 'tgl tags'.

Everything is working now. Thank you for the workflow ♥

Next thing to try

Still not working for me. Any ideas, Jason?

Hmmm...no, can't say I've seen that before. The next thing to try is running the executable in the workflow directly. Open up Alfred's preferences, go to Workflows, right click on the Toggl workflow, and select "Show in Finder". In the Finder window, click the gear icon in the toolbar and select "Copy 'directory name' as Pathname". Open a terminal window, type "cd ", then paste, then press enter. That will take you to the workflow directory. Once you're there, run the "alfred-toggl" executable. It should display output in the console. What does it display?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, when I followed your instructions explicitly it told me the path wasn't found.

When I right-clicked and ran the workflow in terminal, I got this:

Last login: Wed Dec 30 15:47:38 on ttys000

Kims-MacBook-Pro:~ kim$ /Users/kim/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.A86BB5E1-6C76-4BDF-BA06-AFC11B9F5B9A/alfred-toggl ; exit;

2015/12/30 15:49:25 alfred: Error opening plist: plist: error opening plist: open info.plist: no such file or directory

panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference

[signal 0xb code=0x1 addr=0x0 pc=0xa587f]

goroutine 16 [running]:

runtime.panic(0x2e8880, 0x4d6284)

/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.3.3/libexec/src/pkg/runtime/panic.c:279 +0xf5

github.com/jason0x43/go-alfred.OpenWorkflow(0x31ff70, 0x1, 0x38601, 0x2d7560, 0x0, 0x0)

/Users/jason/Documents/Programming/go/src/github.com/jason0x43/go-alfred/main.go:283 +0x64f

main.main()

/Users/jason/Documents/Programming/go/src/github.com/jason0x43/alfred-toggl/main.go:38 +0x59

goroutine 19 [finalizer wait]:

runtime.park(0x27d20, 0x4d98b0, 0x4d8349)

/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.3.3/libexec/src/pkg/runtime/proc.c:1369 +0x89

runtime.parkunlock(0x4d98b0, 0x4d8349)

/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.3.3/libexec/src/pkg/runtime/proc.c:1385 +0x3b

runfinq()

/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.3.3/libexec/src/pkg/runtime/mgc0.c:2644 +0xcf

runtime.goexit()

/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.3.3/libexec/src/pkg/runtime/proc.c:1445

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...15 completed.

[Process completed]

Oh, strange - now that I did that, when I tried to run the workflow again, it prompted me to login. It was as if my login information was lost but it didn't recognize that it was lost. And running it in the terminal maybe helped it get straightened out. :) 

I hope that's helpful! Thank you for walking me through troubleshooting it, Jason!

Oh, strange - now that I did that, when I tried to run the workflow again, it prompted me to login. It was as if my login information was lost but it didn't recognize that it was lost. And running it in the terminal maybe helped it get straightened out. :)

I hope that's helpful! Thank you for walking me through troubleshooting it, Jason!

Hmmm....the info.plist message is odd. That's part of the workflow, so just running the executable shouldn't really have helped there. Regardless, glad to hear it's working!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just started using the workflow - great so far!

One very minor note - the convention for Toggl's own app and web interface is that when the timer is not running, the icon is grey, and when it is running it's red. Using your workflow, all of the icons are red, but the running task is green. To be honest, I think I prefer your use of color scheme (though it might be rough on someone that's colorblind), but having come from using the app predominantly, it threw me off a bit. 

I'm not sure if there's anything actionable in this comment, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention. 

Hmmm...that's a good point. The workflow is in a bit of an odd situation because it uses the Toggl logo (which is red) both as a workflow identifier (you're using the Toggl workflow!) and as a status indicator, but gray + red will probably work fine in the timer list. I'll take a look.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Thanks for such a great workflow! I've taken a look at the usage section in GitHub, but couldn't find an answer to this:

1. What's the fastest way to star the timer for a specific project? I'd like to have a hotkey to fire the "start timer" action and the project. Something like typing "tgp start project name".

2. How can I quickly add a new time entry for a project? 

Thank you!

On 2/24/2017 at 4:43 AM, MarceFX said:

Hi!

Thanks for such a great workflow! I've taken a look at the usage section in GitHub, but couldn't find an answer to this:

1. What's the fastest way to star the timer for a specific project? I'd like to have a hotkey to fire the "start timer" action and the project. Something like typing "tgp start project name".

2. How can I quickly add a new time entry for a project? 

Thank you!

To start a timer for an arbitrary project:

1. tgt time entry name <enter>
  2. select a project <enter>

The project list is ordered by how frequently you use a project, so after you select a project once or twice it will end up at the top of the list.

To start a timer with the default project (which will be no project if one hasn't been set):

1. tgt time entry name <cmd-enter>

To set the default project:

1. tgp project name <enter>
  2. select "make default" <enter>
17 hours ago, jason0x43 said:

The project list is ordered by how frequently you use a project, so after you select a project once or twice it will end up at the top of the list.

To start a timer with the default project (which will be no project if one hasn't been set):

Great! Thanks :-)

On 2/25/2017 at 9:13 PM, jason0x43 said:

Hi,

I tested this approach, but I can't do what I wanted to. I want to create a new entry, not star a timer. Something like:

tgp "project name" "time for this entry"

No timer needs to start o finish.

Thanks!

On 2/27/2017 at 6:52 AM, MarceFX said:

Hi,

I tested this approach, but I can't do what I wanted to. I want to create a new entry, not star a timer. Something like:

tgp "project name" "time for this entry"

No timer needs to start o finish.

Thanks!

Ah, I see. There isn't currently a way to create a complete time entry, only to start, stop, and edit entries. The only way to do this at the moment is to start and stop a timer, then change its start time and duration/stop time.

3 minutes ago, jason0x43 said:

Ah, I see. There isn't currently a way to create a complete time entry, only to start, stop, and edit entries. The only way to do this at the moment is to start and stop a timer, then change its start time and duration/stop time.

Thanks, anyway. Great workflow!