Wunderlist Workflow

Hi jhonsvick, you might like the latest 0.6.0-beta workflow which has a few features that will help you out. Before I go into that I should mention that you can use portions of the list name rather than the whole name (depending on collisions with your other lists). For example, I always use "wl sh:milk" rather than typing out the full list name or selecting it from the displayed options.

In version 0.6.0, along with a wealth of new features related to searching and browsing your tasks there is a preference ("wl-pref") to default to the most recently used list. With this enabled, you could add the tasks with "wl sh:milk" "wl cheese" "wl cereal" and all would find their way to your Shopping list. I recently started using a hotkey with the workflow as well. Rather than typing Alt+Space to launch Alfred then wl to start the workflow I just double-tap the Alt key (go to the workflow screen in Alfred to set your own hotkey). Together these tweaks should greatly ease serial task entry as you described.

Edited by ipaterson
  • 2 months later...

I really love the extension! Just a question: Is there the plan to extend the functionality to interact with tasks? I would love to also close tasks via Alfred.

Indeed there is and you can download it on GitHub in the latest 0.6.0-beta release. I am still taking small feature requests for this version and working through syncing problems, so please report any issues or suggestions on GitHub.

You can search tasks, browse by list or hashtag, and view what is due, then for any task you can mark it complete.

Edited by ipaterson
  • 2 weeks later...

I absolutely loved this workflow and was easily one of my favourites.

However, recently it hasn't been working. Whenever adding a new item to a list, either it says it was added but nothing appears on WL or I get an error.

I've tried deleting the workflow and reinstalling but nothing.

If I go into preferences it says:

Error in workflow 'com.ipaterson.alfred.wunderlist'

Instance matching query does not exist

Any help?

Edited by az566
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

This is my first time posting here, so here goes...

First, thank you for this workflow - I use WL to keep my projects organised and your workflow means that I don't have to keep tabbing between whatever I'm doing and WL to add a quick reminder to myself. It's a real timesaver!

I'm running into an occasional problem when browsing my todos. Sometimes when I want to go into one of my lists or check a particular hashtag I get an error message like this one:

Error in workflow 'com/ipaterson.alfred.wunderlist'

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'year'

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

MM

p.s. everything I am using is on the latest version

Edited by mastermouse44
  • 1 month later...

Version 0.6.0 has been released with many new features! Just over 60 of you helped to test out the preview releases for this version over the past 6 months. I appreciate all of the feedback and bug reports and hope that you have enjoyed using the workflow. I rely on it every day and even more heavily now with the addition of task searching and completion.

Changes since 0.5.4

New command format

In 0.5.4, commands were in the format wl:pref. The colon was required and the entire command had to be spelled out. The old format still works but the workflow now uses a hyphen rather than a colon to facilitate going back to the main screen with alt+delete which stops at the hyphen.

Commands also operate on partial matches, so rather than typing wl-upcoming or selectingUpcoming on the welcome screen you can type as little as wl-up or even wlu.

Search and browse tasks

The workflow now syncs all of your Wunderlist tasks, allowing them to be searched and browsed. The Due and Upcoming screens allow you to find tasks based on due date and the Search screen can be used to search across all lists or browse individual lists and hashtags.

You will occasionally notice a delay when visiting the wl-due and wl-upcoming screens because the workflow syncs before showing the results. Unfortunately the Wunderlist API has become very slow so even a single request to check whether the root revision has changed takes over half a second. Otherwise the sync has been massively optimized to ensure that it does not take much longer to sync all of your tasks than it did in previous versions to sync just your lists.

Complete tasks

The search and browse screens provide access to individual tasks. You can complete a task, delete it, or view the full task in the Wunderlist desktop app.

Other changes
  • #103 Default list preference: choose a list other than Inbox as your default or default to the most recently used list
  • Notifications when the first sync is complete or when the due/upcoming screen is waiting on a sync
  • The database schema has been updated so your cached data will be discarded and a full sync initiated the first time you run the workflow
  • #109 Standalone _wl-reset and _wl-full-reset commands for debugging
  • Fixed incorrect display of the reminder date
  • #111 Space after wl for entering a task is now optional since it was weird in hotkey to have to type a space
  • #127 Fixes an error for Australian users when entering a task with a reminder
Changes since 0.6.0-beta.6
  • #130 Removed "Let's discuss this screen" prompts
  • #95 List title is now matched in addition to the task title when searching
  • Reversed search result order to avoid showing completed tasks first
  • Small performance improvements
  • Bug fixes
    • Number of times overdue was not displayed
    • Number of times overdue, once displayed, did not consider the recurrence count (e.g. 3 months calculated as 1 month)
    • Reminders were displayed with the due date and reminder time in some cases rather than the reminder date
    • Was not possible to browse lists that are substrings of other lists (e.g. wl-search work:would show the Work and Workouts lists, now shows tasks for Work)
Alfred Compatibility

Version 0.6.0 is compatible with Alfred 2 and 3.

Alfred 2 will continue to be supported at least through the next major release. There are some Alfred 3 features that would make task completion and editing more convenient so I will need to evaluate whether I can take advantage of those or not and whether it would still be necessary at that time to support Alfred 2.

Edited by ipaterson
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2016 at 9:02 PM, ipaterson said:

az566, which version of the workflow do you have? I recommend first making sure that you have the latest version, which is available here, then try signing out and back in through the preferences screen.

Hi, I've updated it to the newest version. I even deleted it completely and re-downloaded. I've logged out and in again. It's still not working correctly.

I will get the notification that the task has been added but when I check wunderlist it's not there. If I create a new list I get the same issue (notification but not actually appearing in WL).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

edit: ah wait. it is adding to WL but for some reason only on the WL web app while its not showing me the updated stuff on the WL desktop app. Odd, I'll see if I can figure it out.

Edited by az566
  • 3 months later...

Hey! Amazing Workflow. There is on feature though, I am missing. I used to work with the reminders workflow, for apple reminders. This had one amazing thing:

I was able to use the term "this". By doing so, the workflow created a link to the currently selected file (if in finder), mail (if in Mail) or website (if in a browser) and placed this into a task. Is there any chance to see something similar?

That's a very interesting idea. There is a lot of code involved in supporting those applications so I would like to know more about your use cases for this.

Would you please post a feature request for this on GitHub with a few concrete examples of how you used this for the Reminders workflow and how it might work for Wunderlist? That will give others a chance to think about and thumbs-up the idea. This would be a bit tricky since the code to get text from the application is AppleScript and this workflow is written in python, but there is already some interaction in place with applescripts so it is not impossible.

If people are interested I would need to begin by requesting Jack James, the author of the Reminders workflow, to publish the scripts as a standalone module to avoid copying them into or rewriting them for the Wunderlist workflow.

Thank you for this Alfred Workflow. I use it all the time for working Wunderlist.

One of the features Wunderlist lacks is that when you PRINT a LIST you get all the contents of each TO-DO as well - sometimes running to several pages. Is there a way to PRINT LIST in this Workflow so that you only get the title of the TO-DO? Or could that easily be added as an option to the front menu?

Thanks

David

On 1/15/2017 at 6:02 AM, Parker said:

One of the features Wunderlist lacks is that when you PRINT a LIST you get all the contents of each TO-DO as well - sometimes running to several pages. Is there a way to PRINT LIST in this Workflow so that you only get the title of the TO-DO? Or could that easily be added as an option to the front menu?

Since Alfred does not offer a print output for workflows this would probably never be implemented as a standalone feature. However, it may be reasonable to open a text editor with the titles of all tasks in a list (or a search, or on the due screen, etc) that you can then print or otherwise manipulate.

Please post a feature request for this on GitHub with an example of how you would expect to interact with the workflow in order to get that type of output. That will also give others a chance to think about and thumbs-up the idea.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

The workflow was working fine, but suddenly stopped. I'll get a notification that a task was added, but it never shows up. Here's the debug info when I type `wl Test due today`:

[2019-03-26 13:33:38][STDERR: input.scriptfilter] 2019-03-26 13:33:38,840 wunderlist   INFO     Workflow response complete
[2019-03-26 13:33:39][STDERR: input.scriptfilter] 2019-03-26 13:33:39,677 wunderlist   INFO     Workflow response complete
[2019-03-26 13:33:40][STDERR: input.scriptfilter] 2019-03-26 13:33:40,398 wunderlist   INFO     Workflow response complete
[2019-03-26 13:33:41][STDERR: input.scriptfilter] 2019-03-26 13:33:41,875 wunderlist   INFO     Workflow response complete
[2019-03-26 13:33:45][ERROR: action.script] 13:33:45 background.py:178 DEBUG    Command arguments cached to `/Users/androhsu/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3/Workflow Data/com.ipaterson.alfred.wunderlist/sync.argcache`
2019-03-26 13:33:45,684 workflow     DEBUG    Command arguments cached to `/Users/user/Library/Caches/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-3/Workflow Data/com.ipaterson.alfred.wunderlist/sync.argcache`
13:33:45 background.py:182 DEBUG    Calling [u'/usr/bin/python', '/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.1C97B933-5769-429A-9F2B-F8B08289511F/workflow/background.pyo', 'sync'] ...
2019-03-26 13:33:45,685 workflow     DEBUG    Calling [u'/usr/bin/python', '/Users/user/Library/Application Support/Alfred 3/Alfred.alfredpreferences/workflows/user.workflow.1C97B933-5769-429A-9F2B-F8B08289511F/workflow/background.pyo', 'sync'] ...
13:33:45 workflow.py:2221 DEBUG    Workflow version : 0.7.0
13:33:45 background.py:187 DEBUG    Executing task `sync` in background...
2019-03-26 13:33:45,780 workflow     DEBUG    Executing task `sync` in background...
2019-03-26 13:33:45,780 wunderlist   INFO     Workflow response complete
13:33:45 workflow.py:2419 DEBUG    Set last run version : 0.7.0
2019-03-26 13:33:45,781 workflow     DEBUG    Set last run version : 0.7.0
13:33:45 workflow.py:2263 DEBUG    Workflow finished in 1.040 seconds.
2019-03-26 13:33:45,781 workflow     DEBUG    Workflow finished in 1.040 seconds.

1 hour ago, neandrothal said:

Hello,

The workflow was working fine, but suddenly stopped. I'll get a notification that a task was added, but it never shows up.

Please post this to GitHub in case anyone else experiences this problem and can provide a working patch; I no longer use Wunderlist.