Luxinate - Download video and audio from YouTube and SoundCloud

@Ritashugisha -- I'm not sure about the specifics, but if it's a program that you compiled, then you could always grab an apple developer ID and just make sure it's compiled using that. Then it shouldn't throw that annoying warning for people when they don't have the "apps from anywhere" setting chosen.

Sorry I can't give you more details.

I've downloaded an HD video at 1280x from yt then I did notice that there is a full HD version at 1920x but it doesn't matter if I reset the downloads history or select the webM180p preset from the settings, I am not able to download it again as the download itself is not even starting. I've tried to restart the mac as well...

@Ritashugisha -- I'm not sure about the specifics, but if it's a program that you compiled, then you could always grab an apple developer ID and just make sure it's compiled using that. Then it shouldn't throw that annoying warning for people when they don't have the "apps from anywhere" setting chosen.

Sorry I can't give you more details.

@S036: Send me the URL and I'll figure out what messed up. I recommend keeping the workflow file saved somewhere just incase things stop working. For most problems, reinstalling the workflow should fix it. I also recommend installing zhaowu's workflow for top processes HERE. If you run into a download error, use his workflow to monitor Luxinate's downloads by entering "top python" into Alfred, and see if there are any processes that are stuck. Killing them from his workflow should fix the stuck download.

@Shawn_Rice: Unfortunately, I didn't develop the dialog myself and don't have access to the project. I would take the time to build one myself, but it is decently functional right now so thats low on my priority list.

Edited by Ritashugisha

Here is the guilty url

youtube.com/watch?v=DPchWu5GB4M

Anyway, I thought about the reinstall trick as well but still not able to download it again at full res and with the processes workflow nothing shows up.

This is a major bug with youtube-dl's extractors. A way to figure out what quality downloads are available is by using the advanced luxinate option. This will show you what downloads are available at that specific url. Sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully the devs for youtube-dl will fix this issue soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I got it working but here were some problems:

1. I couldn't download the same video twice. ( maybe this isn't necessary )

2. When I set the path my Downloads folder, it wouldn't download the videos. Path: Users/alexcory/Downloads/

3. When I tried to input the URL directly, it wouldn't work.

4. The video only option didn't work for me.  Only if I did video and audio would it work. ( I did not try audio only )

I also did not try SoundCloud, Safari, or Playlist, but Chrome worked.

Overall I freaking love this workflow.  Genius.  Like I wanna shake your hand for how well done it is.

Edited by AleXander

Update 4.1.1

Luxinate has updated to the new YouTube-dl which required a complete rewrite :(

After many hours of laborious coding, I've managed to add a new user download option which will allow you to download all uploads of any user on either YouTube or SoundCloud.

LuxPlaylist has also gotten a rebuff which will now allows users to search playlists on both YouTube and SoundCloud.

For both these options you can either enter a search or a URL. Luxinate will determine either to search for that query or use the URL directly.

Hopefully this update will fix many bugs as well as make Luxinate easier to use.

If you do encounter major problems I would recommend either reinstalling the workflow or downloading the previous version of Luxinate located at the bottom of the original post.

Please let me know of any bugs or problems that you encounter.

Thank You!

Edited by Ritashugisha

Hi Ritashugisha, I just wanted to say "Thank you" once again, I am amazed at how much work you keep investing to improve this workflow!

The new version works flawlessly for me, it's fast and stable and awesome  :)

I must admit that there are so many features by now that I haven't tried them all, but the ones I use are rock solid.

Thanks again and have a happy new year!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Luxinate v5.2.0

New update (March 17, 2014)

Thanks guys for all of the awesome support and encouragement!

Here is a small update that fixes a couple issues brought up by some of the users.

This new update includes the following upgrades:

• Newer version of youtube-dl
  • New dialog handler (cocoaDialog)
  • Added GlyphSetup support (Now there is no need to split the workflow between two different colored icons!)
  • Many bug fixes

Download Luxinate v5.2.0

Sorry for the long delay, most of my time is being taken up for either school or working on getting the bugs out of OmniTube.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Love luxinate for a while now. Any chance of Vimeo support?

Thanks! Do you mean Vimeo search support or Vimeo downloading support?

I don't have any plans to add Vimeo search support similar to LuxYouTube and LuxSoundCloud. But downloading Vimeo videos by entering the URL through the default Luxinate option should work fine. At least it does for me. 

Test out the default Luxinate option with a link to a Vimeo video and see if it downloads for you.

SO after v5.2.0 I'm curious how to switch between the different icon sets? Can't seem to find my way to switch to white icons now =)

v5.2.0 is mostly an experimental release. Technically... the workflow should automatically determine whether your current theme in use is dark or light, and then change all icons to fit with your theme. You may have to run some of Luxinate's script filters a couple of times before the change is completed. So, it should be automatically modified depending on your theme.

Unfortunately, after a lot of bug reports and testing, I think that it may be broken for other users.

(currently it doesn't break when I use it or run thousands of tests on it, so I don't have any idea of where to start fixing it)

But don't worry, the only major update to Luxinate in v5.2.0 is the feature to automatically change icons. So if you find that it isn't working for you, then you can download the previous version (v4.1.1) from the original post on this thread. 

If you wouldn't mind doing me a favor, could you open your "Console.app" and click on the "User Diagnostic Reports" dropdown in the left column of the application. While there, could you tell me if you see any crash reports that begin with the title GlyphSetup? If you do, could you send me the error log via this thread or email me at ritashugisha@gmail.com. Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you Ritashugisha for this awesome workflow!

I have a few problems (or I am too dumb to use it)...

Luxinate SoundCloud search does not work (I don't get any search results) and the YouTube search only recognizes single word searches. So when I search for "falscher hase" it does not work (without the " ") but if I search for "falscher" it finds the window...

Any idea what is happening?

I am on Snow Leopard

Thank you Ritashugisha for this awesome workflow!

I have a few problems (or I am too dumb to use it)...

Luxinate SoundCloud search does not work (I don't get any search results) and the YouTube search only recognizes single word searches. So when I search for "falscher hase" it does not work (without the " ") but if I search for "falscher" it finds the window...

Any idea what is happening?

I am on Snow Leopard

It may be a problem with Snow Leopard. Could you tell me what version of Python you have on your system?

You can do this by going into the Terminal and typing:

python

you should see an output that looks similar to this:

Python 2.7.6 |Anaconda 1.9.1 (x86_64)| (default, Jan 10 2014, 11:23:15) 
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 

The version number is the 2.7.6 in the first line. What version are you running?

(you can exit the Python command-line by entering quit())

I have a problem downloading entire YouTube playlists using the "luxplaylist ►" command. Whenever I begin typing in either a URL or a query, the lux workflow disappears, leaving me with the standard "Search Google for {query}" etc. alternatives. I can download single videos using the "luxinate" command, but not playlists using the "luxplaylist ►" command. Do you know how I can fix this?

Kudos for making one of the best workflows I've seen!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...