• 1 month later...

Any chance you'll support people who aren't in your contacts but are in your Messages Jabber directory or you have currently open in iMessages? My use case is a company Jabber account with a huge amount of people none of which are in my contacts, but can be looked up via iMessages

• 2 months later...

hi. i just downloaed and tried to use the workflow. this imessage workflow has the best UI.

but i have one small request. you imu imports all the contacts from the osx address list but any contacts that are not in english doesnt appear in the search list.

any idea how i can make non-english contacts appear in the search list?

hi. i just downloaed and tried to use the workflow. this imessage workflow has the best UI.

but i have one small request. you imu imports all the contacts from the osx address list but any contacts that are not in english doesnt appear in the search list.

Hey dodgymin,

This problem has been on the stack for a while. Can I ask what language you would like supported?

Thanks!

korean please.

I actually just uploaded a working copy that I've verified working for Japanese and Chinese characters, but Korean characters are just not working. I can't tell if it's an issue with Alfred or my python dictionary. The Korean Characters make it to the database (text file),  and I have no idea why they aren't being picked up when searched for. I'll be looking into this in the next couple of days, but I can't make any guarantees

Edited by forgetfulfellow

Ok, so I narrowed down the issue with korean (or at least I can reproduce the problem).

When I put in 려 into the terminal I get the unicode:

려 == '\xeb\xa0\xa4'

Yet when I put this into Alfred, I get:

ᄅ ᅧ == '\xe1\x84\x85\xe1\x85\xa7'

I'll put this into the 'help' section, but basically Alfred is decomposing the Korean word into its individual parts. (Don't know what to call them officially because I'm not familiar with Korean)

Ok, so I narrowed down the issue with korean (or at least I can reproduce the problem).

When I put in 려 into the terminal I get the unicode:

려 == '\xeb\xa0\xa4'

Yet when I put this into Alfred, I get:

ᄅ ᅧ == '\xe1\x84\x85\xe1\x85\xa7'

I'll put this into the 'help' section, but basically Alfred is decomposing the Korean word into its individual parts. (Don't know what to call them officially because I'm not familiar with Korean)

thank you for looking into the problem.

There are another imessage workflows available in the forum. and some of them do find contacts in korean.

i cant read or write codes so have no idea now they do it.

and where can i find the help section?

thank you for looking into the problem.

There are another imessage workflows available in the forum. and some of them do find contacts in korean.

i cant read or write codes so have no idea now they do it.

and where can i find the help section?

By 'help section' I meant more of a Q&A section, which is at http://www.alfredforum.com/forum/13-workflow-help-questions/

I'll put a post up and hopefully somebody will get back to me on it :)

Hey Dodgymin,

I believe I've fixed the issue. Can you check out my workflow and tell me your results? You will need to recreate the database again.

• 3 months later...

I love this workflow!

I am having a minor issue though; it seems to have collected phone numbers that don't match "mobile" on their "card" or contact entry. The person I use most often, for example, has both a "work" and a "mobile" number.

However, when I "im xuser" it shows "xuser mobile:[work number]." This is, murphy's law being what it is, of course my single most used iMessages contact. 

Just thought I would bring it to your attention. 

I love this workflow!

I am having a minor issue though; it seems to have collected phone numbers that don't match "mobile" on their "card" or contact entry. The person I use most often, for example, has both a "work" and a "mobile" number.

However, when I "im xuser" it shows "xuser mobile:[work number]." This is, murphy's law being what it is, of course my single most used iMessages contact. 

@dialing_wand

That's really strange! I'm really busy at the moment but I'll put this on my reminder list.  

Is their work number an iPhone number? And does this number even work for texts?

Add support for Yosemite please! :)

Oh wow, I didn't know that this broke! I don't think I'll be upgrading to Yosemite until Apple releases the final version, so I'll update my app when it comes out. Sorry about that

• 1 month later...

I love this workflow!

Hey dialing_wand,

I was just thinking about your problem recently, and I have a question that may be able to solve your problem. Do you use any "work" numbers to send texts? Or do you only use the "mobile" numbers of your contacts? If you only use the "mobile" numbers, then I can change the app such that you would just harvest "mobile" numbers and nothing else

-Nolan

Is there a way to set it up so that I can also search my contacts by their nickname? I've gotten used to do this on both my phone and now the messages app on my computer and it would be great if I could use it here in this workflow.

Hey littleluce,

I've never used nicknames myself (and I'm not sure how), but you can change the contact's name in my dictionary and replace it with your desired nickname. This is not a full fledged solution, but rather a workaround. Be warned, if you run "imu" again, you'll have to change the name again manually.

1. Go to Alfred preferences, and locate my workflow "iM"

2. Right click on it and click "show in finder"

3. In the finder, open ContactNumbers.txt

4. Here, you'll see all your contacts associated with their numbers. Press cmd+F and search for your desired contact's name. In the sea of contacts, you'll find the one your looking for. His/her record should have this format 

u'Awesome Dude': (u'Awesome Dude', ['1234567890, 1234567891, 1234567890, ...])

5. Replace both instances of his/her name to the desired name (keep the u' at the front):

u'Cool Guy': (u'Cool Guy', ['1234567890, 1234567891, 1234567890, ...])

6. Save the file. You should be good to go!

Leave a message or comment if it doesn't work, or if you have any questions! 

-Nolan

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Nolan

I'm trying to add email support so I can iMessage some of my Android friends with Macs. Any pointers to where I should start? If you've already implemented something like this or have something in the works, that'd be super helpful! 

-Thanks

Edited by Shrubub

Hey Nolan

I'm trying to add email support so I can iMessage some of my Android friends with Macs. Any pointers to where I should start? If you've already implemented something like this or have something in the works, that'd be super helpful! 

-Thanks

Hi Shrubub,

Can I ask what you have in mind with email support? Could you point to a page that shows this in action? I'm not completely sure what you have in mind here, but I think I have an idea. I just need to make sure.

-Nolan    

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I hope this is on-topic.  It is related.

Is there a way to have all messages received by iMessage automatically forward to a non-iPhone phone, e.g. Android?  I live in both worlds professionally -- iOS and Android -- but often wish I could have all my incoming iMessages automatically forward to my Android phone either as SMS or MMS.

I'm new to Alfred, so need a helping hand to understand how to leverage it for this need.

Thx.

Hi, I hope this is on-topic.  It is related.

Is there a way to have all messages received by iMessage automatically forward to a non-iPhone phone, e.g. Android?  I live in both worlds professionally -- iOS and Android -- but often wish I could have all my incoming iMessages automatically forward to my Android phone either as SMS or MMS.

I'm new to Alfred, so need a helping hand to understand how to leverage it for this need.

Thx.

Hi gpmalone1,

I don't believe Alfred has the capability to forward iMessages to your android device. This would have to be done using a utility completely unrelated to Alfred. A quick google search on "receiving iMessages on Android" shows an app that solves this problem, but I also read some warnings about the developer of that app. But for Alfred (and my app), I don't think I can support this.

Thanks for posting though :)

-Nolan