iMessage Workflow V3

My workflow has been easily surpassed by others, please use theirs :) ---------> http://www.alfredfor...red/?hl=unicall

However, I'm updating this workflow to Alfred 3 for posterity's sake. Sorry for taking so long guys...

Archive

Change log:

2/12/2017 - Because of a specific error, I've updated this app. Alongside the minor bug, thanks to Amos Manneschmidt's workflow "Call or SMS contact", I learned how to use OSX's built in Contact app to feed out contacts. Furthermore, I updated this app to be compatible with Alfred 3.  

4/30/13 - Non-Latin languages are now supported! I have verified Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. If it works for your language, please tell me!

11/27/13 - My extension prioritizes numbers that have been used before. This should allow Alfred to choose the correct number associated with a contact MUCH more accurately. Works only with phone numbers, not email addresses;

A notification is now displayed when contacts are not updated successfully (mostly a response to Exceptions thrown when trying to update) 

11/21/13 - Emoticons should now work; Alfred now opens up iMessage if its closed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If using the OLD way:

Setup:  Run command 'IMU' before you start using the workflow

Find Contacts and Send Messages:

Keyword: "im"

i_Message_Alfred.png

1b. Send a message to the aforementioned contact

Screen_Shot_2013_11_21_at_5_40_33_PM.png

2. Reply to most recent iMessage or Group Message (Thanks to David Ferguson's Workflow)

Keyword: ".."

Screen_Shot_2013_11_22_at_11_39_34_AM.pn

Download Link: https://github.com/NolanChan/iMessageWorkflow/raw/master/iMessage.alfredworkflow

Please post up bugs in the comments below! 

Edited by forgetfulfellow

Hey,

It doesn't shows up all my contacts, actually it miss most of the iMessage users... any help?

I did imu and findcontactswithcommas.

Hey! Thanks for getting back to me.

As for your problem, it reflects the "bet" I made on how I picked contacts. Originally, I thought that iMessage contacts would only have "mobile" phone numbers, and so I filtered out all contacts that don't have mobile numbers. However, I realized that this might not be the case for everyone. I updated Alfred to reflect this; you can download it at the same link :)

Please get back to me if it still doesn't work

Thanks for the super-fast-reply : )

Still doesn't work though. I wonder if it doesn't get contacts with more than one im address assigned, like one mob number and one email address assigned to the same contact...

I just updated my script to include ANY person that has ANY number. The only "flaw" that my script has is that it only shows one option for every person. I rely on iMessage to choose the best number for me, as I only feed iMessage a name.  Just call keyword "imu" again.

Please tell me if it works for you. If it doesn't... we'll have an interesting bug on our hands

Ok, it doesn't work anymore : /

messages.app give me back this error

"Your message doesn't have any recipients" or it's trying to send the msg with an email address not registered with iMessage, instead of the mobile number

I've tried imu, reinstall etc...

So to outline my procedure: I basically just feed a name into iMessage and "trust" iMessage to pick the correct number. For me, 4 out of 5 times, it chooses correctly. (I know that isn't a great statistic, but as of this moment, I'm not sure how else to improve it). Currently, there isn't a way to extract the correct iMessage number out of a contact. I'm trying to see how to force iMessage to choose correctly, and I'll get back to you when I figure something out.

Your work has potential mate. From my point of view the script should filter out non-iM numbers to be perfect. For now i'll just use it for my contacts which i can recall if a number is iM compatible or not. 

Thanks for sharing. It's much appreciated

Edit:

i'm not sure if this problem is at my end, we'll see. It seems like the script is sending the given message to the right contact though sending the exact same message to the most recent convo ditto. Anyone else having this issue? (im just using command  "im <contact> <msg>")

Using latest 2.1.1 version with powerpack and mavericks :)

Edited by Don Dahl

Your work has potential mate. From my point of view the script should filter out non-iM numbers to be perfect. For now i'll just use it for my contacts which i can recall if a number is iM compatible or not. 

Thanks for sharing. It's much appreciated

Edit:

i'm not sure if this problem is at my end, we'll see. It seems like the script is sending the given message to the right contact though sending the exact same message to the most recent convo ditto. Anyone else having this issue? (im just using command  "im <contact> <msg>")

Using latest 2.1.1 version with powerpack and mavericks :)

Hey, I just saw your post. Are you saying that the workflow is sending two messages? (One to the desired recipient, and one to the most recent?) I just tested it out on my system, and it seems ok (but I'm seeing more and more that my own machine is not definitive)

Hey, I just saw your post. Are you saying that the workflow is sending two messages? (One to the desired recipient, and one to the most recent?) I just tested it out on my system, and it seems ok (but I'm seeing more and more that my own machine is not definitive)

Yes, that's exactly what i am saying! Below screenshot shows proof - sent a message to myself through your workflow :)

http://j.mp/18gX4qn

Edit: 

After some testing i've figured when i iMessage myself it will forward that same message to the last "real recipient" as well.

I hope you sort the issue regarding non-iMessage entries. Take care.

Edited by Arthur

Yes, that's exactly what i am saying! Below screenshot shows proof - sent a message to myself through your workflow :)

http://j.mp/18gX4qn

Edit: 

After some testing i've figured when i iMessage myself it will forward that same message to the last "real recipient" as well.

I hope you sort the issue regarding non-iMessage entries. Take care.

Thanks for the picture; since this is my first big workflow, I'm taking some time out of each day to debug it. I'm not exactly sure why it's sending to the last recipient, and I'll update you when I find a fix.

I also updated my workflow to get some small bugs out of the way (which are in the change log above). Thanks for "testing" this app out; I don't think I would have been able to really understand an alfred workflow (and applescript) without you guys :)

Sharing is caring so thank you. 

I also notice that the workflow prioritizes facebook email addresses. If a contact has one it uses that. I bet that you can skip every @facebook.com address without limiting potential since, i guess, no one uses their facebook for imessage  :P

Edited by Arthur

Sharing is caring so thank you. 

I also notice that the workflow prioritizes facebook email addresses. If a contact has one it uses that. I bet that you can skip every @facebook.com address without limiting potential since, i guess, no one uses their facebook for imessage  :P

I'm actually quite baffled as to why iMessage chooses these obviously wrong email addresses to use. Since I only feed in actual contact names to iMessage, I leave it up to iMessage to pick the sending medium (email or phone number). As of now, I'm working on a way to better force iMessage to choose; I'll try to post it up in a couple days

What about email addresses? I hate when people know my email address I use for iMessage but send messages to my mobile number, cause Apple still has problems with syncing up and unifying the chat history. I'd even go to a manual process! I'm only messaging a handful of people (and groups of them) on a regular basis anyway.

What about email addresses? I hate when people know my email address I use for iMessage but send messages to my mobile number, cause Apple still has problems with syncing up and unifying the chat history. I'd even go to a manual process! I'm only messaging a handful of people (and groups of them) on a regular basis anyway.

An easy way to do manual adds without editing raw files seems to be the best way, but since im not a developer i'm not sure ;)

Hmm can't get it to work, it shows me a lot of contacts, but they aren't mine, could they be yours? http://c.adu.dk/SgrS

Hi @firezemissile Thanks, I tried - but nothing happens :( None of my contacts is showing up

Doh! Thanks Aduco for the heads up; that was a huge mistake on my part. I can't believe I did that...

And firezemissle's advice is correct to run the keyword "imu". It should create a log of phone numbers and contacts in a text file (that should replace mine). However, since you've already done that and it doesn't work, do you receive the error notification "Contacts Not Updated Successfully. Please check forum post for possible reasons"?

To my knowledge, this error primarily occurs because your contact names have a comma in them. I created a complimentary keyword "findcontactswithcommas" that will display contacts that have commas in them. Since I use the "comma" as a delimiter in my program, this usually causes problems. Also it helps people clean up their contact list too :)

Are you asking about using email addresses instead of phone numbers to send out messages? I actually did quite a big overhaul last night on my extension which prioritized previous iMessage phone numbers over non-iMessage numbers. However I also realized that I can prioritize email addresses as well. The only problem is that if a contact is associated with an iMessage phone number AND iMessage email address, I will have to prioritize your phone number. 

Ok, it doesn't work anymore : /

messages.app give me back this error

"Your message doesn't have any recipients" or it's trying to send the msg with an email address not registered with iMessage, instead of the mobile number

I've tried imu, reinstall etc...

I just did a pretty huge update on my extension! Alfred should be much more accurate in choosing the associated number. Could you get back to me to see if it works now? :)

What's the chance that this can be updated to include Jabber users?  I can get it to send to jabber contacts via ".." but not directly, as far as I can tell.

Specifically, I want to send messages through my Facebook chat via Jabber

Thanks!

Hey gvantass,

I actually created this extension around iMessage (texts and phone numbers), and I'm not exactly sure how this integrates with things like iChat, Facebook, etc. I actually am not even sure how to get that started... But I'll look into it! No promises though

I appreciate you being willing to look into things.  I know that I can use the extension to send through iMessage, which (as I understand) is the ML/Mav version of iChat.

Hey gvantass,

I actually created this extension around iMessage (texts and phone numbers), and I'm not exactly sure how this integrates with things like iChat, Facebook, etc. I actually am not even sure how to get that started... But I'll look into it! No promises though

I appreciate you being willing to look into things.  I know that I can use the extension to send through iMessage, which (as I understand) is the ML/Mav version of iChat.

Hey gvantass,

My app seems to at least work with Google Talk; however my app favors contacting people through iMessage phone numbers over Jabber. If you have ever only contacted the person through Jabber and not with a phone number, I believe the keyword "im" should work?

In the coming weeks, I think I'll add a Jabber keyword for these other services

• 4 weeks later...