• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This doesn't seem to be working anymore. I will type im and then begin to write the name but then when i press enter it just closes Alfred.

Any ideas?

Hi

I'm having problems getting this to work. I get as far as getting the notification that my iMessage has been sent, but it's not actually sending anything.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi az566, zimbo, 

The update to Alfred 3 broke my workflow. Ultimately though, my workflow has also been surpassed by different and better workflows (example http://www.alfredfor...red/?hl=unicall) so I would recommend using theirs. 

Thank you for supporting my project!

-Nolan

Hi az566, zimbo, 

The update to Alfred 3 broke my workflow. Ultimately though, my workflow has also been surpassed by different and better workflows (example http://www.alfredfor...red/?hl=unicall) so I would recommend using theirs. 

Thank you for supporting my project!

-Nolan

Hmm, I've download it and I don't like as much as yours. I loved that I could message contacts from within alfred rather than opening the imessage app. :(

Hmm, I've download it and I don't like as much as yours. I loved that I could message contacts from within alfred rather than opening the imessage app. :(

Agreed, it's easy enough to open messages and select a contact. Being able to send and reply to messages straight from alfred is much more useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I absolutely love this extension. I tried the other one which was recommended but I didn't like it much.

After thinking for a while, I decided to revive this, Hence the extension :)))

https://github.com/rajeshksv/AlfredExtensions/tree/master/MessageToFriend

(This is for Alfred V2 only :( Not sure if it works for Alfred V3)

You can send Gtalk/SMS via this extension for now.

Please note, this is in alpha stage and expect bugs. Feedback is much valuable :) I just tested on my mac and its working fine :))

Edited by rajeshksv37
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2016 at 5:09 PM, rajeshksv37 said:

I absolutely love this extension. I tried the other one which was recommended but I didn't like it much.

After thinking for a while, I decided to revive this, Hence the extension :)))

https://github.com/rajeshksv/AlfredExtensions/tree/master/MessageToFriend

(This is for Alfred V2 only :( Not sure if it works for Alfred V3)

You can send Gtalk/SMS via this extension for now.

Please note, this is in alpha stage and expect bugs. Feedback is much valuable :) I just tested on my mac and its working fine :))

How do you update the contact list? Right now, I believe it's showing your contact list and not mine! ;)

• Vero locked this topic
  • Vero unlocked this topic

Hey everyone,

I know this update is comically late, but if you were still interested in an Alfred 3 working version, I've uploaded it. I've changed the contact search to use OSX's contact list to make it a bit simpler to start on the app.

If you've moved onto another workflow, let me know as well so other people can discover them!

-Nolan

Edited by forgetfulfellow

Been waiting for you to update it for a while, glad to have it back. Unfortunately though the ".." command doesn't function properly for me. Sends a message to someone random. I think this is because the applescript for messages is broken (not sure if they fixed it in the last few months).

I wrote up a workflow to try and implement ".." without using applescript:

But unfortunately it is very unreliable and often will just report that it can't find the most recent contact. Fortunately when it does work it at least never sends it to the wrong person

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2017 at 10:27 PM, forgetfulfellow said:

Hey everyone,

I know this update is comically late, but if you were still interested in an Alfred 3 working version, I've uploaded it. I've changed the contact search to use OSX's contact list to make it a bit simpler to start on the app.

If you've moved onto another workflow, let me know as well so other people can discover them!

-Nolan

So I was hopeful you might have found a better way of finding contacts but it looks like you're still using my script almost verbatim right now. My way works but it's necessarily slow (I even had to add that .5 s delay in there for stability) and doesn't handle multiple numbers on a single contact or allow you to set the results' icons to their corresponding contact pictures if they have one. Stay tuned though because I'm rewriting mine currently in python to handle these cases. 

• 2 years later...

Is this workflow still updated? I really love it, I looked at unicall but I don't like this one as much as yours... I don't want to open iMessages, I want to send from Alfred and continue with what I was doing. 

My main problem with this current version is that it picks for some contacts a home number instead of their mobile number when the contact has more than one phone number... is there any simple solution for this?

Hey @noki,

I imagine that Mac probably updated the contacts app in Mojave to get numbers in a smart way (or maybe totally eradicated the API in the newest OS, given their track record). I'm still on El Capitan, so I have no idea sadly... I guess theoretically it must be possible, as UniCall has been doing it for a while. I just never dived into the code base itself to look.

-Nolan

3 hours ago, forgetfulfellow said:

Hey @noki,

I imagine that Mac probably updated the contacts app in Mojave to get numbers in a smart way (or maybe totally eradicated the API in the newest OS, given their track record). I'm still on El Capitan, so I have no idea sadly... I guess theoretically it must be possible, as UniCall has been doing it for a while. I just never dived into the code base itself to look.

-Nolan

Ok thanks for your quick answer. Hopefully someone finds a way to solve it someday then 🙂 It seems that it simply picks the first number from the contact, so for now I could solve it by updating my contacts to have the iphone number as their first phone number and add the other numbers below it. 

• 10 months later...

Hi @forgetfulfellow I just installed this and it is not working at all. I first built the database for the contacts, then I did 'IM' and typed the name of a contact and after clicking return I get nothing, nothing happens. I am on MacOS Mojave. Any debugging tips? I went into the workflow and put this at the end of IM to see if the apple script will output the phone number and that does work. I don't see anywhere where the flow is suppose to send the message.

image.png.0907c31183316af1c41aecbf5826116f.png

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

For an idea for a rather less sophisticated workflow to send Messages (which, I'm afraid, involves listing your contacts' names and numbers in a list filter) see this post. I appreciate it's not so good as the workflow in this thread but it may help some who can't otherwise get results from the workflow under discussion.

Stephen