[Request] Reverse Google image search a selected Finder item

What I'd like to be able to do is select an image file in the Finder, press a hotkey or keyword, and get a reverse Google image search for that image. Is this possible? I don't really know where to start.

what do you mean "reverse google image search"? What are you wanting it to find?

what do you mean "reverse google image search"? What are you wanting it to find?

At images.google.com, it allows you to "search by image", and either enter an image url or upload an image from your own computer. Google attempts to find other instances of that image online. (It's useful for finding the original source of an image, or other sizes, etc.)

I'm wondering if it's possible to use Alfred (or potentially some other scripting solution?) to select an image in the Finder, and use that as an uploaded image in the Google search.

I've done a little more digging, and I think it's not possible. Based on this post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7584808/google-image-search-how-do-i-construct-a-reverse-image-search-url it seems like Google does some kind of custom URI encoding that I wouldn't have access to. But if you have other ideas, I'd like to hear them. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...