NTFS Enabler (Enable NTFS write on your drives)

NTFS Enabler

Enable Write to NTFS drives (v 1.0)

I've come across a very handy way of enabling write on NTFS drives, so I decided to create a workflow to take advantage of it.

There's only one little caveat. You can't see the drive in Finder's sidebar. To open the drive in Finder, use 'ntfs' keyword.

Instructions:

+ Keywords:

- "ntfs": List all NTFS mounted drives you have and select one to open it in Finder.

- "ntf enable": List all NTFS drives and select one to enable write.

- "ntf remove": List all enabled NTFS drives and select one to remove write access.

- "nt clear": Clear all previously added NTFS drives

+ Action Modifiers:

- List all NTFS mounted drives with "ntfs" keyword. Then hold Option key and select a drive to eject.

Screenshots:

AlOYf01.png

YCWEN1v.png

EIqStkB.png

Download Link:

https://db.tt/HCKAgTse

@MaximiliumM

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Edited by MaximiliumM

I find it odd that no-one has replied to this mate. I haven't tried your wf myself, but if it works as described it'd be a free alternative to different commercial solutions like Paragon NTFS and Tuxera NTFS.

Before i try it out would you say that i can replace the software descried above in favor for an alfred workflow? 

Thanks for your work. Good job =)

I find it odd that no-one has replied to this mate. I haven't tried your wf myself, but if it works as described it'd be a free alternative to different commercial solutions like Paragon NTFS and Tuxera NTFS.

Before i try it out would you say that i can replace the software descried above in favor for an alfred workflow? 

Thanks for your work. Good job =)

Well, yes, I think you can.

But remember, the drive can't be seen in Finder's sidebar. So, you have to open the drive using Alfred ;)

Actually, I have a new solution that might be better than this, but it's not an Alfred Workflow. If you want, I can post the installer here.

The only downside to this other solution is the lack of control that you have with the Workflow. I mean, the Workflow lets you remove the write access anytime you want.

The perfect solution then is use both ;) 

I'll post the link to the installer here, so you can test it. Unfortunately, there's no uninstaller if you don't like it. But I'll post how to uninstall here as well.

See you :)

Ok, so here I am with the installer.

Link:

https://db.tt/yYSfm7qG

Let me give you some explanation to what it does.

The installer will add two things to your system:

- NTFS Enabler, a folder to ~/Library/Application Support

- com.fmanoeli.ntfsenabler.plist, a PLIST to ~/Library/LaunchAgents

So, after having it installed, when you plug in a NTFS drive, a window will appear asking if you want to Enable write access on that drive. Then, it will add a shortcut to Finder's sidebar of that drive.

The cool thing about it is that every time you plug the same drive in again, it will automatically add it to the sidebar :) 

There's only one "bug" that I couldn't get rid of. When you click on the little Eject button on the sidebar, it ejects the drive, but it stays on the sidebar. If you click on the sidebar's shortcut again after it's been ejected, the shortcut will be gone. That's how you "solve" the bug, hehe.

I hope you like it :) 

Oh, remember, if you want to uninstall this thing, just delete those two things I mentioned above.

I'm so sorry, Arthur.

If you have downloaded the NTFS Enabler installer, please do it again and install it again. Same download link.

I've made some changes to it and I hope it's more reliable now.

I'd love to have a native, built-in, way of adding things to the sidebar. That's the only somewhat unreliable thing now ;(

Also, I've changed the "Cancel" button to a "Not Now" button. And after pressing "Not Now" it stops asking you to enable NTFS write permission on that drive until you unmount it and mount it again.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

Edited by MaximiliumM
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for this workflow, I use it on so many occasion. 

I am now having problem where I can't copy anything from an iMac. I could copy some files at first but then it suddenly stopped working. I only get error dialog saying 'The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “folder_name” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)'.

Any suggestion?

• 2 years later...

Hey there -- I just wanted to say thank you for building this workflow, and for being the reason why I found my way to Alfred in the first place. I googled "make Macs read NTFS drives" and was so glad to find your work! And this app, which I think is going to make a huge difference in my overall functioning. 

I also just wanted to confirm that I am running the latest OSX to date (El Capitan 10.11.5) and am not seeing any issues. 

Just came across this workflow. Haven't had the chance yet to test it, but it looks exactly like what I have been looking for. Many thanks for this, awesome! 

Edit: 

I tried it but unfortunately couldn't get it working. I could enable the drive, though was not permitted to write on the USB stick. The same issue with the installer, it didn't even ask me for the password or anything once I plugged in the USB drive formatted in NTFS. 

Edited by Easytiger
  • 2 years later...