[Fixed] Search iTunes Store w/ feedback

Sure. But because I see this as sort of a fringe case and because I don't want to muddy the workflow with a user-visible settings interface, the setup is going to be a little complex. You'll have to run a search once to create the file ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.danielsh.alfred.its/settings.json. That file should contain an empty JSON object. You just need to add the key--value pair "affiliate_string": "&partnerID=2003&tduid=NL1380330" and your affiliate information will be added to the links that the workflow generates. Other users can of course do this as well, with their own affiliate strings.

Thanks! This works beautifully!

• 2 weeks later...

Great work! There are a few things that would make it perfect for me though:

• Is there a way to open results directly in iTunes app for 'iph' and directly in MAS for 'app'

I would absolutely *hate* it if results open in MAS or iTunes directly :-( I prefer the web view above all, because iTunes and MAS are slow and processor and memory hungry.

If this is going to be implemented, then please with an additional key modifier (like Shift to open in iTunes/MAS)

Sorry it took me so long to get around to this, gang, but I wasn't getting e-mail updates from this thread for some reason. I've just posted a new version of the workflow that updates some of the backend stuff, hopefully making it a bit faster, adds a direct fallback search in the App Store and iTunes Store, searches for artists, and opens the links it returns in the pertinent Store directly rather than jumping to a Web page. You can download it here or, if you've downloaded it recently, update it through Alleyoop.

Edited by phyllisstein

I would absolutely *hate* it if results open in MAS or iTunes directly :-( I prefer the web view above all, because iTunes and MAS are slow and processor and memory hungry.

If this is going to be implemented, then please with an additional key modifier (like Shift to open in iTunes/MAS)

Any chance you could incorporate an additional key input modifier to open the web page instead of directly in iTunes. I really preferred the initial (older) method and don't want to change scripts :(

Excellent work!!!!!! No rush at all, take your time!!! 'app' works perfectly for me, but just a couple issues with 'it's & 'iph':

• 'its' & 'iph' give this error for the fallback search (any term): 

unoLpZ9.png

• 'its' fallback sometimes doesn't register as option:

1xIho1k.png

• 'its' misses a lot of things that are indeed in the itunes store (I've waited for it to load and it never does, yet it works on other things):

G7uYjIN.png

Sorry for all the requests, it's okay if you don't have the time, or just dont' want to do such craziness.

Not to worry; nobody likes bugs. I think I've squashed at least some of them in the latest version, so let me know how it works for you.

Any chance you could incorporate an additional key input modifier to open the web page instead of directly in iTunes. I really preferred the initial (older) method and don't want to change scripts :(

I'm afraid that since it's just a script filter, there's no way I can see to do it without adding three more separate scripts or supporting two versions at once, neither of which is hugely appealing. I've been trying to get it to behave like this since the beginning, so I'm more inclined to stick with this version. If the search works the way it's supposed to, I imagine that most people will want to go straight to purchasing an item; if it doesn't, opening a web browser is way more memory-hogging than iTunes or the App Store.

I'm afraid that since it's just a script filter, there's no way I can see to do it without adding three more separate scripts or supporting two versions at once, neither of which is hugely appealing. I've been trying to get it to behave like this since the beginning, so I'm more inclined to stick with this version. If the search works the way it's supposed to, I imagine that most people will want to go straight to purchasing an item; if it doesn't, opening a web browser is way more memory-hogging than iTunes or the App Store.

Aw man :-( Is there a way to download the older version which still had the old functionality? Or where is this functionality in the python script so I can modify myself? (and set the script to r/o to prevent future updates).

Thanks! But now I'm getting no results in Alfred for 'app' and 'iph'.

I made a couple of changes to get it running again; try http://alfred.daniel.sh/Workflows/iTunesStore.alfredworkflow

International users will be pleased to know that they can now set the country whose iTunes/App Store is searched by modifying the file ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred 2/Workflow Data/com.danielsh.its/settings.json and including a key--value pair like this:

{
    "country": "NL"
}

Aw man :-( Is there a way to download the older version which still had the old functionality? Or where is this functionality in the python script so I can modify myself? (and set the script to r/o to prevent future updates).

I've uploaded the old version to http://alfred.daniel.sh/Workflows/iTunesStore (Old).alfredworkflow, but I don't plan to support it or update it any further; it won't have feature parity and I can't drive myself nuts keeping two versions up-to-date.

Thanks, it's working great now.

The only last thing (very minor), I wonder why when I search for something like "fozzy", the results don't seem to match what the iTunes store shows: http://imgur.com/wjMSIIT.png

Thanks again! This script is awesome!  :)

Yeah; I have no doubt that the search API Apple exposes works differently from the search in iTunes itself. Among other things, the API requires that I make two requests for a basic keyword search: one for "items," and one for "artists," and so artist results will always be the second-place set, even when they're more relevant. It also just has a more general habit of returning crummier, less relevant results that I can't really account for: I've been over and over the API docs looking for a different way to ask it the question I want to ask without any luck. Consequently, this is the workflow of mine I use least often. *shrug*

• 6 months later...