Mail Actions Workflow [Updated v0.7]

Point 1: I was using b72. I have updated to b94.

Point 2: Great! Thank you.

Carlos, download the latest version (same link as in first post) and test local mailboxes. Like I said, I don't really use local mailboxes but from my limited testing it seems to be working.

Also guys, new feature. type minfo and choose to either view the Info & Usage or Change Log. It tries to use Marked, if you don't have it installed it will use your default app for md files.

Carlos, download the latest version (same link as in first post) and test local mailboxes. Like I said, I don't really use local mailboxes but from my limited testing it seems to be working.

Also guys, new feature. type minfo and choose to either view the Info & Usage or Change Log. It tries to use Marked, if you don't have it installed it will use your default app for md files.

I tried the latest version but it seems that nothing has changed.

My local mailboxes were not listed.

I have even downloaded the file two more times to make sure I was installing a new version.

In addition, I manually deleted the mbCache.plist because if you delete the Workflow using Alfred interface the file is not deleted.

I tried the latest version but it seems that nothing has changed.

My local mailboxes were not listed.

I have even downloaded the file two more times to make sure I was installing a new version.

In addition, I manually deleted the mbCache.plist because if you delete the Workflow using Alfred interface the file is not deleted.

Hmm, that weird. Working on my end. I'll have a look into that later tonight. I'll also add an option to manually update mbcache.plist to make things easier for testing.

Added a couple new features and fixed a bug with unread count. Please update guys.

• FIXED: Unread count was getting stored with folder list and not being updated on each run;
  • NEW: Hotkey to mark all messages (unread messages in current mailbox) as read
  • NEW: Hotkey to delete every message in current mailbox (useful for me anyway)
  • NEW: Keyword/Hotkey to show list of mailboxes with unread messages
As always, same link as in original post, or via AlfPT or get it on github.

Just a suggestion: change the default hotkey for the delete action. It's the same as Mail's hotkey to send a message, which I think is just asking for trouble. I hit Command + Shift + D to send a message, not having noticed the conflict in my brief look at the updated version of Mail Actions, and it triggered the delete action as well. Fortunately Mail crashed and I only lost a day's worth of messages (they were not in the Trash folder; should they have ended up there, or is this supposed to be a direct delete?). Granted, I should have been more careful, but I think it would be wise, for the sake of us fallible humans, to make the hotkey something that doesn't conflict with an existing Mail shortcut.

Thanks for the fantastic workflow!

Just a suggestion: change the default hotkey for the delete action. It's the same as Mail's hotkey to send a message, which I think is just asking for trouble. I hit Command + Shift + D to send a message, not having noticed the conflict in my brief look at the updated version of Mail Actions, and it triggered the delete action as well. Fortunately Mail crashed and I only lost a days' worth of messages (they were not in the Trash folder; should they have ended up there, or is this supposed to be a direct delete?). Granted, I should have been more careful, but I think it would be wise, for the sake of us fallible humans, to make the hotkey something that doesn't conflict with an existing Mail shortcut.

Thanks for the fantastic workflow!

Thanks for pointing that out. Since I've got another hotkey mapped in mail I didn't even notice that. I'll update in the next installment.

First off, I really love this workflow. This has been a major annoyance when using the Mail app for a while.

Just a quick comment, your hotkey for mark as read is by default (if I remember correctly) mapped to "reply all".

OK guys, thanks for the heads up. Like I said, I've got other keys mapped so I didn't even notice that. You can download a new version that has slightly more obscure hotkeys for Mark Read and Delete. That hopefully should help avoid any unwanted and mistaken action.

Cheers and keep those suggestions coming.

Looks good to me. I think that making the mighty delete command require three modifiers is exactly the right approach  :D

Thanks, thought so too. Better than a confirmation dialog. Either way I'm going to change it so that the emails are moved to trash rather than simply set their status to deleted. Safer that way.

• 1 month later...

This looks really great!!

What I was looking for is this:

- Support of smart mailboxes. Currently, they don't seem to be supported.

- Keyword action to reply to the last received message. I receive an email, which shows up in the notification center and I quickly want to reply. So I just start this action 'reply', which open a new email in Mail.app as a reply to the last received message. If I also enter text such as 'reply Yes, that sounds good', the message is send directly without opening mail.app

- An action that shows me all (unread) messages in a predefined folder and let's me reply to them (i.e. open new mail in Mail.app as reply to the respective message). So I type my keyword 'mail', get a list of all the emails in a predefined folder (or maybe all unread emails) sorted by time, can filter through the messages by entering a query (maybe search based on sender and subject), selecting a message starts a reply to the email using mail.app. With a modifier, it would even be great to reply to messages directly from Alfred. 

Guest Viktor

Unfortunatly it is not working for me.

No Mailboxes/Mails appear.

Not even the 'minfo' is working.

Installed the version 0.6.1 . I do have the latest Mountain Lion installed.

I can't make it work on my machine. It just says "Generation Mailbox list" forever:

Screen%20Shot%202013-03-25%20at%2010.51.

Thanks so much for this, it's fantastic!  My only question is that I find when searching for mailboxes it's quite slow on my machine (though my machine isn't slow), especially in comparison to your video.  Is there something I've done wrong, or could do?

Unfortunatly it is not working for me.

No Mailboxes/Mails appear.

Not even the 'minfo' is working.

Installed the version 0.6.1 . I do have the latest Mountain Lion installed.

Hi Guys,

I've been away for a while and only now have had a chance to catch up. I'll try and see what's up with this and get back to you.

This looks really great!!

What I was looking for is this:

- Support of smart mailboxes. Currently, they don't seem to be supported.

- Keyword action to reply to the last received message. I receive an email, which shows up in the notification center and I quickly want to reply. So I just start this action 'reply', which open a new email in Mail.app as a reply to the last received message. If I also enter text such as 'reply Yes, that sounds good', the message is send directly without opening mail.app

- An action that shows me all (unread) messages in a predefined folder and let's me reply to them (i.e. open new mail in Mail.app as reply to the respective message). So I type my keyword 'mail', get a list of all the emails in a predefined folder (or maybe all unread emails) sorted by time, can filter through the messages by entering a query (maybe search based on sender and subject), selecting a message starts a reply to the email using mail.app. With a modifier, it would even be great to reply to messages directly from Alfred. 

I'll see what I can do about these requests. With regard to smart mailboxes though, there's not much I can do for now. Unfortunately these aren't accessible from AppleScript. I'll try and look into other methods for doing this though.

Thanks so much for this, it's fantastic!  My only question is that I find when searching for mailboxes it's quite slow on my machine (though my machine isn't slow), especially in comparison to your video.  Is there something I've done wrong, or could do?

I've noticed that it tends to lag once in a while. I'll be trying to optimise this for speed, either with some form of caching but have not yet found the best method to do so. I'll keep you updated on my progress with regard to this.