Clipboard merging feature seems to conflict with popclip when double or triple click

homever

Hi,

Just noticed that when I enabled popclip, double or triple click (which usually perform Select All action) on texts or address bar in Safari or Chrome will trigger clipboard merging. Can be reproduced every time.

Please take a look. Can be quite annoying when that sound comes out.

Alfred verison: 2.1.1(227)
Mavericks 10.9.1 (13B42)
Edited by homever

Hi,

Just noticed that when I enabled popclip, double or triple click (which usually perform Select All action) on texts or address bar in Safari or Chrome will trigger clipboard merging. Can be reproduced every time.

Please take a look. Can be quite annoying when that sound comes out.

Alfred verison: 2.1.1(227)
Mavericks 10.9.1 (13B42)

I'll take a look into this, but Alfred quite simply watches for subsequent duplicates in the history for merging, so I'm guessing that there may be some clipboard diddling going on with popclip... in which case, I'm not sure if there is a huge amount I can do about this.

If you aren't using Alfred's clipboard merging, you can turn this off in Alfred's clipboard prefs.

Cheers,

Andrew

I've checked back in email and actually in May last year, chatted with Nick from PopClip about this. It's because PopClip simulates a cmd+c copy to the clipboard when users click on a field, which means as far as Alfred is concerned, this is a human interaction. Multiple clicks would be like a user pressing cmd+c multiple times which is exactly what Alfred is using for merging.

From Nick:

The reason that PopClip does this is that it responds to double clicks within some text fields (those that don't support accessibility API) by sending ⌘C to 'peek' at the selected text. It then immediately puts back the original pasteboard contents (including nspasteboard.org transient indicator). The third click (of a triple click) is then picked up and the ⌘C dance happens again, to pick up the new selection. So in fact the pasteboard change count will have increased by 4 at this point, but the contents of the pasteboard should be identical to at the start, save for the added transient indicator.

The transient indicator thing unfortunately can't be added for the initial copy because it's the target app itself that does the copying to the pasteboard, not PopClip.

It might be worth picking this issue up with PopClip to see if there is anything else which can be done, else I suggest turning off clipboard merging in Alfred.

[moving to the Noted sub-forum]

Cheers,

Andrew

I've checked back in email and actually in May last year, chatted with Nick from PopClip about this. It's because PopClip simulates a cmd+c copy to the clipboard when users click on a field, which means as far as Alfred is concerned, this is a human interaction. Multiple clicks would be like a user pressing cmd+c multiple times which is exactly what Alfred is using for merging.

From Nick:

It might be worth picking this issue up with PopClip to see if there is anything else which can be done, else I suggest turning off clipboard merging in Alfred.

[moving to the Noted sub-forum]

Cheers,

Andrew

I see. Thank you Andrew. You're very helpful:)

• 1 month later...
I have the same issue. I fix it by turning off PopClip and triggering its context menu with help of Alfred. Another solution would be pressing Command key while selecting text, this deactivates PopClip.

I’ve made a simple Alfred workflow that triggers from the keyboard (double tap Shift) and makes PopClip appear for the currently selected text. Unfortunately I don’t see how to attach it here. I’ve taken info from how to control PopClip using AppleScript.