Send Chrome tab to Safari's Reading List

I use Chrome on my desktop, but I like to do all of my reading on my iPad or iPhone and I like using the Reading List built into Safari. I've used Pocket for this before, but a lot of stuff ends up in Safari's Reading List when I'm using the Twitter client on iOS. This workflow will take your current Chrome tab and send it to Safari's Reading List.

Installation Instructions

From a terminal window, run:

sudo gem install rb-appscript

Download the workflow from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnxbpiabtcjfz60/Chrome%20to%20Safari%20Reading%20List.alfredworkflow

Usage

Type `rl` in Alfred

Script copied from:

https://gist.github.com/pdxmph/1342437

• 1 month later...

I followed all of the above instructions and got this error:

MyName-Air:~ MyName$ sudo gem install rb-appscript
Password:
Fetching: rb-appscript-0.6.1.gem (100%)
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing rb-appscript:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/include/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/rb-appscript-0.6.1 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0/gems/rb-appscript-0.6.1/./gem_make.out
MyName-Air:~ MyName$ 

When I enter Alfred it doesn't find the command "rl"

Any help appreciated !!
  • 2 weeks later...

I am sorry but since I am new to this, and especially coding in general, what am I supposed to do with the last string you posted as a fix to the above problem?

Tried copy pasting into the terminal both from the beginning and after I got the same error as above.

Help much appreciated, cause it's a very useful bathroom break workflow, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I'm getting the following require error when I try to use this script;

[ERROR: alfred.workflow.action.script] Code 1: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require': cannot load such file -- appscript (LoadError)
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
from -e:4:in `<main>'

Anyone got a suggestion on how to fix this? I ran the install of appscript and everything seemed to go ok.

Cheers,

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,
which version of ruby and which version of bundler will this work with?
I have installed ruby through rbenv as opposed to RVM, is that an issue?
the error reads as follows:

ERROR:  Loading command: install (LoadError)
dlopen(~/.rbenv/versions/2.1.3/lib/ruby/2.1.0/x86_64-darwin13.0/openssl.bundle, 9): Symbol not found: _SSLv2_client_method
  Referenced from: ~/.rbenv/versions/2.1.3/lib/ruby/2.1.0/x86_64-darwin13.0/openssl.bundle
  Expected in: /usr/local/opt/openssl/lib/libssl.1.0.0.dylib
 in ~/.rbenv/versions/2.1.3/lib/ruby/2.1.0/x86_64-darwin13.0/openssl.bundle - ~/.rbenv/versions/2.1.3/lib/ruby/2.1.0/x86_64-darwin13.0/openssl.bundle
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    undefined method `invoke_with_build_args' for nil:NilClass

Thanks.
Edited by dipanjanc