Microsoft Remote Desktop

Yet another RDP workflow. This one works exclusively with Microsoft Remote Desktop and lists all of the defined desktops. It works reliably, regardless of the state of the Microsoft Remote Desktop application, this has been a problem with other workflows. You can select from the desktop list or continue typing to filter down to just the desktop you want. It's on Packal already.

https://github.com/packal/repository/raw/master/com.tedwise.rdp/microsoft_remote_desktop.alfredworkflow

• 4 weeks later...

Use this workflow everyday and after an update to the RDP app yesterday from the App Store (v8.0.5) it no longer starts the session automatically. Any ideas?

It's the upgrade notice dialog box that comes up. Start the RDP app directly and dismiss the dialog box. Everything will go back to normal. You can thank:

1. Microsoft for displaying the stupid box.

2. Microsoft for not supporting Applescript in the app.

3. The brittleness of UI scripting since there's no Applescript support.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the workflow, another time saver there.

One thing I've noticed, if I have a session open and go to open it again it passes the session name to that session.

E.g. rdp, select server 11 = server 11 rdp brought to front GREAT, but the text server 11 is passed to a search box within that server?

Anyone encountered the same?

Thanks for the great workflow.

// Gary

Yep, it's one of the downsides of UI scripting instead of true AppleScript support from the app. I put in a feature request on the Microsoft support site but I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the latest update 8.0.6 has broken it again, there's now no search box so it selects all of the items on the list and connects to the first server.

Yep, it's well and truly broken. There's no longer a search so there's no way to narrow down the items and select one programatically. Crap.

On the other hand, it looks like 8.0.6 has full URI support now. It's possible I can generate the RDP URIs and use those to connect. It won't be for a while though.

• 1 year later...

I have a single RDP connection in Microsoft Remote Desktop (to manage a home server).

It irks me that I can't directly open my one RDP connection, and rather I have to first open Microsoft Remote Desktop and then double-click the connection.

I tried this workflow, a few comments just in case it might ever get updated...

1) it DOES open my connection

2) for some reason, I often wind up with "another device has connected to this session" -- but only when using the workflow -- if I open Microsoft Remote Desktop and double-click the connection, I don't ever seem to get that dialog.

3) I think the workflow needs to be updated for the case in which an RDP connection is already open -- one time I called the rdp workflow after the connection was already open (thinking it would simply bring the window to the front) but it seemed to throw commands INTO the RDP session

Anyhow, I find this handy, and hope it might get updated someday.

I have a single RDP connection in Microsoft Remote Desktop (to manage a home server).

It irks me that I can't directly open my one RDP connection, and rather I have to first open Microsoft Remote Desktop and then double-click the connection.

I tried this workflow, a few comments just in case it might ever get updated...

1) it DOES open my connection

2) for some reason, I often wind up with "another device has connected to this session" -- but only when using the workflow -- if I open Microsoft Remote Desktop and double-click the connection, I don't ever seem to get that dialog.

3) I think the workflow needs to be updated for the case in which an RDP connection is already open -- one time I called the rdp workflow after the connection was already open (thinking it would simply bring the window to the front) but it seemed to throw commands INTO the RDP session

Anyhow, I find this handy, and hope it might get updated someday.

Vote for this - https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/287834-remote-desktop-for-mac/suggestions/9280833-allow-the-application-to-be-controlled-with-apples

The workflow breaks constantly due to having to script the GUI - Microsoft keeps making GUI changes and throwing up dialog boxes. Until Microsoft makes the app scriptable the workflow will remain buggy.

Thanks, sorry that it's been a hassle -- any idea why I only seem to get "another device has connected to this session" when opening though the workflow? I kind of though the workflow was simply instructing Remote Desktop to open the connection -- and I don't get that dialog when opening from within Remote Desktop.

In any case, thanks for making and sharing it, wish it wasn't such a PITA.

• 2 weeks later...

fwiw, the most recent release of Microsoft Remote Desktop seems to have fixed the "another device has connected to this session" problem. I'm thinking it relates to this from their release notes:

Fixed the following issues:
- When you reopen an active connection through the connection center, the active connection window is brought to the foreground instead of disconnecting that session and opening a new one.

So, for me, this workflow actually works fine now -- my only remaining issue is that if I call the workflow when the terminal connection has already been opened, it throws the commands into the Windows session, and unwanted stuff happens -- if the workflow could just check that it only sends commands to the RDP session selection window, I think that would be helpful.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like list_desktops.rb should be rewritten.

The path (..)/com.microsoft.rdc.mac/(..) is now (..)/com.microsoft.rdc.macos/(..) but changing it doesn't do nothing.

On in Microsoft Remote Desktop10 bookmark can be listed by:
'/Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Remote Desktop' --script bookmark list

• 1 year later...