Screenshots 1.1: capture, save to Dropbox, get Link and manage files and past links

• 2 months later...

First of all, thank you Carlos for creating this workflow, it is great!

I've come up with a solution to automatically launch Dropbox if it isn't already.

I've added the following code to the script which gets triggered at the beginning any of the capture methods:

if application "Dropbox" is not running then
	do shell script "nohup open -a Dropbox > /dev/null 2>&1 &"
end if

This launches Dropbox in the background while resuming the original script as soon as possible. This way it doesn't delay the screen capture much.

Here is the modified workflow:

http://bit.ly/1E6NvUe

Screenshots of the modification:

http://bit.ly/1wscKTx

http://bit.ly/1wscFyW

Edited by tseven

I got a bit carried away and have modified the workflow to better match my needs/wants.

Features I've added since 1.12:

1. Random file names (more difficult for people to guess your next screenshot). This will generate a random 4 character file name containing upper and lowercase a-Z and 1-9. A few ambiguous characters were dropped to avoid confusion when manually typing/relaying the url. (ie. lI0O) -- I believe this will be faster than the standard naming convention since it won't have to check if each numbered file before the current number exists. I haven't tested this but that's what appears to be happening.
  2. Option to skip a step when running "setups" again. Your current setting will remain untouched.
  3. Optimize image with ImageOptim (if it's not installed the the setting will be ignored)
  4. Save the capture in .jpeg format. This produces smaller files, but will disable to shadow on window captures.

All you need to do is re-run "setups", skip your existing settings and set the new ones.

Download 1.13

New in 1.14:

1. Added support for using jpegoptim and pngquant. These run in the background.
  2. Updated optimization descriptions since an optimized png can be smaller than the jpg verion.

Download 1.14

The latest updates to this script and my notes can be found here.

Enjoy.

Edited by tseven
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to get this workflow to put my screenshots into a buried folder? 

I'm trying to keep it a bit more organized, so would like it in ~/DB/Public/Screenshots/2015 for now....then next year, update it to put them in 2016, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Everything working just great! My life is never be the same again :))

I wonder, is it possible to make the same workflow for a tool such GifGrabber (http://www.gifgrabber.com). I've tried to make a gif, then copy it to Dropbox, then get a link, and I'm not speaking about bit.ly shorten, and already feel so exhausted compare to workflow I have with a screenshot.

Can somebody have an ability to help build such a workflow? Everything is already here, we just a need a way to operate with GifGrabber. 

I think that kind of workflow will be awesome!

• 6 months later...

I'm using this workflow successfully but running into a problem where the files in my local dropbox folder are created with "Hide Extension" activated, is there anyway to disable this and always show full filename including extension?

This is in El Capitan if that makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm trying to install this on Alfred 3. I am able to install it, but am confused as to how to set it up. 

I type in "setupss" in Aflred, and it brings up this:

PDoiP39.png

When I hit "Return", it then shows a Mac notification that says "Start typing to select a folder" and that is it. Nothing happens.

7MKAkag.png

See Carlos' post above regarding upgrading for Alfred 3...

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/3922-screenshots-11-capture-save-to-dropbox-get-link-and-manage-files-and-past-links/page-2#entry43776

Hi. I'm trying to install this on Alfred 3. I am able to install it, but am confused as to how to set it up. 

I type in "setupss" in Aflred, and it brings up this:

PDoiP39.png

When I hit "Return", it then shows a Mac notification that says "Start typing to select a folder" and that is it. Nothing happens.

7MKAkag.png

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this for Alfred v3? This was one of the workflows I used most and it worked until I (stupidly) removed Alfred 2 from my mac :/

p.s.: the settings file - dropbox link does not work anymore.. so I am stuck! :)

Edited by magrolino

Any updates on this for Alfred v3? This was one of the workflows I used most and it worked until I (stupidly) removed Alfred 2 from my mac :/

p.s.: the settings file - dropbox link does not work anymore.. so I am stuck! :)

Here is a new workflow version that I'm still testing. If you'd like to try it download it here.

Note that you have to configure the workflow in Alfred Preferences as seen below:

settings.png

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does the workflow now still work with the "default" public links being disabled by dropbox or not? Sorry for the extra question but I tried to download the workflow from post 1 in this thread and it seems to still use the "old" url scheme which does not work anymore? Did I miss something, which download links got updated?

Edited by magrolino
typo fixed