Implementing IDE-like Searches

Dear All,

I'm new here on the Alfred forums. I have been using Alfred starting with version 1.

My initial usage was restricted to launching applications and the like and is increasing of late. I've hit a bit of a roadblock, I'd like to figure out if I can do IDE-like searches, or in other words: searches to pull up files from project folders, or constrained by folder-scope.

The way I'm doing it right now is to explicitly list my project folder(s) in the search scope. (I've removed my home folder). I then trigger the folder to open in Alfred by "space" followed by "<file name>.groovy".

Is this something I can do better? Do the powerpack - workflows make this easier?

Would be great to hear from those who're doing this successfully.

Best regards,

Santosh Dawara.

Workflows would make this a lot easier. File Filters are specifically designed for this: add the folders to search to the Filter's scope and assign a keyword. You'll get results only from those folders you've specifically added, leaving your main search scope unaltered.

For example, I have several File Filters that will only search e.g. ~/Desktop or ~/Downloads. I simply type "desktop {what I'm looking for}" or "dl {what I'm looking for}" and I've got instant, narrower results.

Edited by Tyler Eich

Tyler is right. These are exactly the things that are fairly easy to do with a bit of programming knowledge and the Powerpack. Actually, all you would need to do is leverage mdfind in a script filter specifically aimed at ".groovy" files. There are similar workflows that already exist and could be modified.

If you want to see the sort of things that are possible with the Powerpack, then browse through the "Share Your Workflows" forum, or head to www.packal.org, and take a look around at the workflows that are available there to download. Granted, you need the Powerpack to use any of these.

Tyler is right. These are exactly the things that are fairly easy to do with a bit of programming knowledge and the Powerpack. Actually, all you would need to do is leverage mdfind in a script filter specifically aimed at ".groovy" files.

I goofed. I meant to say "File Filters" instead of "Script Filters". For that, you don't need any programming knowledge; Alfred will do the heavy lifting for you. Good advice nonetheless  :)