Cannot Find "Alfred Preferences" using alfred after update to 2.2

Since updating to Alfred 2.2 as reported by other users search results have gone missing. 

Admin have replied with "Apple sometimes remove things from their index" but this doesn't seem to be consistent with the timing.

I can no longer access most system pref panes, alfred preferences, ios simulator and others from alfreds search results.

I have cleared and reindex (Clear Application Cache and Rebuild OSX Metadate)

Since updating to Alfred 2.2 as reported by other users search results have gone missing. 

Admin have replied with "Apple sometimes remove things from their index" but this doesn't seem to be consistent with the timing.

I can no longer access most system pref panes, alfred preferences, ios simulator and others from alfreds search results.

I have cleared and reindex (Clear Application Cache and Rebuild OSX Metadate)

You can access Alfred's preferences by pressing Cmd+, when he is visible. You shouldn't have an issue finding Alfred's preferences though since that is something built in and not something reliant upon the index. Can you confirm that several of the other items that you cannot find, can be found by Spotlight? Try having a peek here at some of the troubleshooting steps and let me know how those work out.

You can access Alfred's preferences by pressing Cmd+, when he is visible. You shouldn't have an issue finding Alfred's preferences though since that is something built in and not something reliant upon the index. Can you confirm that several of the other items that you cannot find, can be found by Spotlight? Try having a peek here at some of the troubleshooting steps and let me know how those work out.

Hi Dave,

I've been using alfred since pre 1.0 (I can't remember exactly but look at when I bought the power pack for v1) and while everything else is evolving, I'm increasingly being frustrated by bugs with the results of the basic search (which is the core product). 

I have read all the other threads and posting on these forums is most certainly my last resort (I have op posted on maybe 4 forums my entire life). I know you can open the preferences panel in many other ways including cmd+, but that does not solve the core issue which is the incorrect indexing. 

As I detailed in my original post I have tried several ways to ameliorate this problem. If I search for "Alfred" with alfred it does not find itself or its preferences. When I search spotlight for alfred it shows alfred straight away.

There is a litany of other users reporting exactly the same issues as I am finding (even since 2.0.3) and granted these might be bugs with the internal working of the spotlight index but it seems to me there must be a logical approach similar to alfred v1 where it would create its own index of some folders (i.e applications) or have overrides for spotlight.

I've converted 3 others in my office to using Alfred, 1 of the 3 has the same problems (although other applications are missing such as chrome). The other 2 I have told not to update to 2.2.

Also the information here is out of date.

Output from Alfred Metadata Analyser v1.0 for Alfred Preferences 

/Applications/Alfred 2.app/Contents/Preferences/Alfred Preferences.app

Internal File Metadata
======================

Display Name: Alfred Preferences
    Alt Names: 
    File Type: com.apple.application-bundle
     Comments: 
     Keywords: 
    Last Used: 2014-03-12 15:28:36 +0000

Raw mdls File Metadata
======================

kMDItemFSContentChangeDate = 2014-03-12 15:28:36 +0000
kMDItemFSCreationDate      = 2014-03-12 15:28:36 +0000
kMDItemFSCreatorCode       = ""
kMDItemFSFinderFlags       = 0
kMDItemFSHasCustomIcon     = 0
kMDItemFSInvisible         = 0
kMDItemFSIsExtensionHidden = 0
kMDItemFSIsStationery      = 0
kMDItemFSLabel             = 0
kMDItemFSName              = "Alfred Preferences.app"
kMDItemFSNodeCount         = 1
kMDItemFSOwnerGroupID      = 20
kMDItemFSOwnerUserID       = 501
kMDItemFSSize              = 1
kMDItemFSTypeCode          = ""

As I detailed in my original post I have tried several ways to ameliorate this problem. If I search for "Alfred" with alfred it does not find itself or its preferences. When I search spotlight for alfred it shows alfred straight away.

If you want to launch Alfred's preferences from Alfred's search results, you simply need to type 'preferences' (or 'alfred') into Alfred and select 'Show Alfred Preferences'. The Alfred Preferences result item isn't indexed, it's hard wired into Alfred's results... so if you don't see that result, there may very well be something corrupt in Alfred's binary.

preferences.png

It's also worth noting that Alfred deliberately doesn't find himself in Alfred 2 by design, as he doesn't need to. He also upgraded his cache db during the 2.2 update which would have cleared the cache. If there are any indexing issues on your Mac, these would have become apparent at this point which is why a few users had to reindex their Macs. If you aren't finding preference panes, try resetting your search scope in Alfred's Features > Default result preferences as this can sometimes explain why things aren't being found.

Alfred 2's indexing is faster and more accurate than Alfred v1 - You definitely shouldn't be getting frustrated with him! If you have any issues or concerns, pop me an email on info@alfredapp com and I'll help you get Alfred 2 working on your Mac without issues :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for your help. I came to the same conclusion that something must be busted/corrupt.

I ended up blowing away everything Alfred including ~/library/application support/alfred 2 and all other files associated with Alfred using Hazels app sweep. 

I then reindexed spotlight using the apple instructions here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409.

I reinstalled Alfred afresh from the latest release. Straight away searched for preferences. It was there. I let the spotlight re-index finish and my apps were back.

I did use the Alfred 'Clear Application Cache', 'Rebuild OS X Metadata' options before doing all this to no avail.

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for your help. I came to the same conclusion that something must be busted/corrupt.

I ended up blowing away everything Alfred including ~/library/application support/alfred 2 and all other files associated with Alfred using Hazels app sweep. 

I then reindexed spotlight using the apple instructions here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2409.

I reinstalled Alfred afresh from the latest release. Straight away searched for preferences. It was there. I let the spotlight re-index finish and my apps were back.

I did use the Alfred 'Clear Application Cache', 'Rebuild OS X Metadata' options before doing all this to no avail.

Great, glad you are sorted... it sounds like there may have been come corruption hidden somewhere in Alfred's preference files. Let me know if you have any more issues :)

Cheers,

Andrew