Hide Result Subtext (Alfred Preferences > Appearance > Options)

It is great to see Alfred 2 can be as clean as we want it to be.

I really like Hide Result Subtext (Alfred Preferences > Appearance > Options).

However, one important interaction is missing here: modifiers key

When Hide Result Subtext is checked nothing is displayed when a modifier key is pressed. We kind of loss a lot of Alfred and Alfred workflow functionalities.

My suggestion when Hide Result Subtext is checked: show the modifier key text in the Alfred item title.

This way Alfred would respect the user choice (no subtext) and grant all Alfred and workflows functionalities.

Please?! :)

+10 

Great! :)

Although all my workflows actually use the subtext line for info, I can definitely see this as a much needed feature/enhancement!

My workflows also use subtext.

However, it is possible to read this setting from Alfred preferences and make some adjustments so the workflow looks good and functional even without the subtext.

I forgot to say that I added a ticket for this a few days ago, I agree, this would be very useful... I'll probably get something for this added in the next release. It's likely to be just showing the modifier subtext on the selected item when you press the modifier key.

I forgot to say that I added a ticket for this a few days ago, I agree, this would be very useful... I'll probably get something for this added in the next release. It's likely to be just showing the modifier subtext on the selected item when you press the modifier key.

By the way, can you consider some AppleScripts commands to get some Alfred preferences? For example:

• hide subtext: true or false
  • background color (for those that like to change the icon color)

Right now, to make some workflow adjustments to support the hide subtext feature I have to read the Alfred preferences and I'm not sure if you think that it is the way to go. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

For the upcoming 2.4 general release, I've added a modifier option to just show the actual default subtext (if not overridden by workflow):

subtext%20modifier.png

It’s nice to see a hidden subtext of course but is that also mean that any modifier of a workflow will be displayed?

I mean, my Evernote workflow uses almost all modifiers keys available but if subtext is hidden they are useless.

It’s nice to see a hidden subtext of course but is that also mean that any modifier of a workflow will be displayed?

I mean, my Evernote workflow uses almost all modifiers keys available but if subtext is hidden they are useless.

This works in collaboration with this option which shows hidden subtext with relevant modifiers:

alternative%20subtext.png

This works in collaboration with this option which shows hidden subtext with relevant modifiers:

alternative%20subtext.png

Great!

By the way Andrew, what about a new Alfred command (AppleScript) to get the subtext setting so we don’t have to look for and read the Alfred preferences file?

Thank you in advance.

Great!

By the way Andrew, what about a new Alfred command (AppleScript) to get the subtext setting so we don’t have to look for and read the Alfred preferences file?

Thank you in advance.

It's unlikely that this will happen, but I have a note regarding the light / dark icons thing to consider in the future of Alfred.

It's unlikely that this will happen, but I have a note regarding the light / dark icons thing to consider in the future of Alfred.

No problem Andrew.

By the way, the "Show result subtext for alternative (modifier) actions when subtext is hidden. Option available in Appearance preferences” is not working.

When I show Alfred and type the keyword enn (from Evernote workflow) none of the modifiers subtext is displayed: nothing happens e.g. if I press option key the "Append to a note with date” is not displayed.

No problem Andrew.

By the way, the "Show result subtext for alternative (modifier) actions when subtext is hidden. Option available in Appearance preferences” is not working.

When I show Alfred and type the keyword enn (from Evernote workflow) none of the modifiers subtext is displayed: nothing happens e.g. if I press option key the "Append to a note with date” is not displayed.

Do you have both of the things in the screenshot setup above? i.e. Show Subtext for alternative actions (which will show subtext for any modified connection), then setup a default mod key to show default subtext in the same context?

Do you have both of the things in the screenshot setup above? i.e. Show Subtext for alternative actions (which will show subtext for any modified connection), then setup a default mod key to show default subtext in the same context?

I tried with or without the both new settings. Same result.

I have also tried David’s Favorite workflow and modifiers of the “faves” keyword are not shown either.

Just a quick note, I'm adding in some alfred_ shell environment variables into 2.4 which will let you know info about the theme to save you having to load it from the prefs. I've also clarified the subtext settings.

Great. Thank you.