"Save as" menu

Hi all,

When I save something from a browser or other application, I use Alfred to identify the target folder (or a file to replace), and then I drag and drop it from Alfred into the "Save as" window, so that it goes quickly to the target folder.

Has anybody made a workflow to avoid the drag-and-drop part?

In other words something that, if there is a "save as" window open, upon selection of a target folder in Alfred, will go to that folder in the 'save as' window.

Thanks!

giovanni

Edited by giovanni

Hi all,

When I save something from a browser or other application, I use Alfred to identify the target folder (or a file to replace), and then I drag and drop it from Alfred into the "Save as" window, so that it goes quickly to the target folder.

In other words something that, if there is a "save as" window open, upon selection of a target folder in Alfred, will go to that folder in the 'save as' window.

Thanks!

giovanni

I've not seen this but that doesn't mean much. I'm not sure how scriptable that part would be (interacting with that save dialog). It could be totally easy, I've just never seen it done. Perhaps someone else knows of a way to do this. I'll look at it though and see if I come up with something

After reading about your dilemma, I realized that I face the same issue on a daily basis. So I made a workflow that should cover our needs :)

Download

You can type 'sheet' and search for the file, or you can use the 'Send to Sheet' file action. When you send a file through this workflow, it will attempt to interact with the frontmost sheet. It will tell the sheet to load the folder provided, or the parent folder if a file is provided.

Edited by Tyler Eich
  • 6 years later...

I'm bumping this because I had this exact same thought yesterday and started thinking about implementation options. Amazing to see this has been done before

e.g. in Chrome, all PDFs that I want to download have a save prompt with default location "downloads" – using this shortcut I can now easily download into the needed directory without having to open a finder window and drag-and-drop its icon into the save prompt. "sheet" trigger works flawlessly.

6y thanks, @Tyler Eich!

EDIT: sometimes I seem to get a double entry i.e. the filepath is entered in the cmd-shift-g prompt then entered as file name then saved immediately. I bruteforce fixed this by adding a slight delay before the 'return' key is captured

tell sheet 1
	keystroke parentFolder
	delay 0.1
	keystroke return
end tell

Edited by xgo