This workflow allows you to view, open and add Safari reading list items.

Features:

• View all your reading list items (keyword: RL).
  • Search for specific items: Entering "rl apple iphone" will return reading list items whose page title or URL contains both "apple" and "iphone".
  • View (and search) only unread reading list items (keyword: RLU).
  • Add new items to your reading list (using keyword RLADD or hotkeys).
  • Open all unread items (keyword: RLALL).
Reading%20List.png?raw=1

This workflow uses the awesome Alfred Objective-C framework.

Updates:
  • v1.1: Option to view only unread Reading List items (default keyword: RLU).

• v1.2Option to add new items to your reading list (keyword: RLADD).
    If the currently active app is a browser (Safari, Webkit, Chrome, Canary and Chromium are currently supported), you can just press Enter to add the URL of its active tab.
    You can also add URL's by typing or pasting.
    The workflow uses AppleScript to add new reading list items, so it requires Safari to be running.
    However, if Safari wasn't running, the workflow will quit it after it's done. (If you had no open windows in Safari, you won't even notice anything).
    Additionally, the workflow checks if the URL you are trying to add is valid by trying to download the <head> element of the corresponding page. So if you are disconnected from the Internet, or the page you are trying to add is unreachable, the workflow will consider the URL as invalid and won't add it.
    To make it add that URL without checking it for validity, use the modifier key (⌃).

• v1.3: Option to open all reading list items (keyword: RLALL).

• v1.4: The open all feature has been modified to open only unread items.
    (You can still open all your reading list items (including the read ones) by pressing Option.)

• v1.4.1: Fixed a typo

• v1.4.2: Fixed yet another typo
Edited by targumanu

This looks very good. However, I have two feature requests, both of which I envision working without opening Safari (is that even doable?).

• Add an option to delete the item from Safari’s Reading List, immediately upon activating it. The best way to go about activating it would likely be with Alfred’s Action Modifiers.
  • Add an option to add the current browser’s (whatever it is) frontmost tab’s url to Safari’s Reading List. I’ve posted the needed AppleScript in another thread and would, naturally, be available to help with this if needed.

This looks very good. However, I have two feature requests, both of which I envision working without opening Safari (is that even doable?).

• Add an option to delete the item from Safari’s Reading List, immediately upon activating it. The best way to go about activating it would likely be with Alfred’s Action Modifiers.
  • Add an option to add the current browser’s (whatever it is) frontmost tab’s url to Safari’s Reading List. I’ve posted the needed AppleScript in another thread and would, naturally, be available to help with this if needed.

Unfortunately, there is currently no native API for accessing Safari's reading list, so my workflow gets reading list contents by reading Safari's Bookmarks.plist. And here lies the problem with your first request:

I tried to implement the deleting feature, however, changes made to Bookmarks.plist directly don't sync to iCloud, so even if the deleted article disappears from the local reading list, it is still present on your other devices. So I decided to exclude this feature.

As for adding articles to your reading list, I will see what I can do. However, due to the lack of a native API, it will most probably involve Scripting Bridge or AppleScript (yuck!), which will cause Safari to launch every time you add a new article.

Great workflow - thanks! Would it be possible to have a result along the lines of 'Read all 64 unread items in the list'? This gives a way to open all items but also can see how many items there are at a glance. If not the default result, then perhaps at the end of the list?

Great workflow - thanks! Would it be possible to have a result along the lines of 'Read all 64 unread items in the list'? This gives a way to open all items but also can see how many items there are at a glance. If not the default result, then perhaps at the end of the list?

Done. (See the original post.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Updated the original post to fix the preview image and direct download link.

On 3/30/2017 at 1:19 PM, xilopaint said:

I also have the outdated version with the typo. Where I can download the latest version?

Both the direct download and Packal versions are the same (v 1.4.1). You can download any one of them and reinstall/update the workflow.

Edited by targumanu
3 minutes ago, nikivi said:

Is it possible to add an action to 'open link from reading list and remove link from reading list'?

Unfortunately no. Apple's API doesn't allow removing Reading List items, and I couldn't find a way to implement it using GUI scripting.

(If somebody could point me to a working AppleScript for removing Reading List items, I'd be happy to integrate it in my workflow.)

Edited by targumanu
On 4/17/2017 at 7:50 AM, targumanu said:

Updated the original post to fix the preview image and direct download link.

Both the direct download and Packal versions are the same (v 1.4.1). You can download any one of them and reinstall/update the workflow.

You missed another typo in rladd: eneter instead of enter.

yq22ZdU.png