How is Alfred Different From MAC OS X Spotlight ?

Hi Guys,

I am new to Alfred, I just recently came across quite a few recommendations from various websites and reviews mentioned there on this interesting APP. Though I have some initial idea on what Alfred does. Still I am not able to figure out or understand how is it gonna be different from the MAC OS X "Spotlight" because even Spotlight seems to be doing very much the same thing Already that Alfred promises to do, so how is Alfred different and what does it do more than what MAC OS X Spotlight does not do ? As a first time user, I am just trying to understand how can this APP help me ? :) Does anyone here maybe the Admin, Moderators or the Founder of this APP do you guys have like a comparison sheet between what the MAC OS X Spotlight does and what does Alfred do in addition to that ? Also if you guys have any video showing the remarkable features of Alfred it would be more easier to understand.

Thanks

Hi, 

tl;dr  I almost never really used Spotlight (even before I bought Alfred). As a Alfred user I use Alfred all the time (2 days ago, I used it 1045 times in single day. Yes, I did very repetitive thing that day. On a normal day I use it about 85/90 times). My answer is based on my experience with the Alfred Power Pack (OSX Mountain Lion).

Tow things to remember.
1°) Alfred is based on Spotlight (for the search part). Many features are similar (file search, calculator, dictionary,...).
2°) There is a free version of Alfred. And a paid one. The paid one let you unlock the true power of Alfred thanks to the workflows (little programs you or the awesome community members create (ruby, bash, zsh, applescript, python are supported). Do you remember "There is an app for that"? Well, in Alfred, it is (almost) "There is a workflow for that". Workflows range from admin to case converter, url shortener, web searches, files management, and so on. Alfred's forum, Packal.org and Github and great places to find awesome little workflows you will use  everyday). 

The main difference between Alfred and Spotlight, for me, is that it fits perfectly well in my workflow (makes me WAY more productive and is so easy to use) I find Alfred is a step breaker. Wanna delete 5 files in an obscure folder? Hit Cmd+Space, type your query, select the files in a buffer via a keyboard shortcut, hit tab, start typing delete then enter. And your done. 5 sec. Can you do that kind of thing with Spotlight? This is a basic example. You can do so MUCH more. Faster and in a easier way than with Spotlight.

For a more visual answer, check these videos on Vimeo.

HTH.

Edited by politicus

Hi, 

tl;dr  I almost never really used Spotlight (even before I bought Alfred). As a Alfred user I use Alfred all the time (2 days ago, I used it 1045 times in single day. Yes, I did very repetitive thing that day. On a normal day I use it about 85/90 times). My answer is based on my experience with the Alfred Power Pack (OSX Mountain Lion).

Tow things to remember.

1°) Alfred is based on Spotlight (for the search part). Many features are similar (file search, calculator, dictionary,...).

2°) There is a free version of Alfred. And a paid one. The paid one let you unlock the true power of Alfred thanks to the workflows (little programs you or the awesome community members create (ruby, bash, zsh, applescript, python are supported). Do you remember "There is an app for that"? Well, in Alfred, it is (almost) "There is a workflow for that". Workflows range from admin to case converter, url shortener, web searches, files management, and so on. Alfred's forum, Packal.org and Github and great places to find awesome little workflows you will use  everyday). 

The main difference between Alfred and Spotlight, for me, is that it fits perfectly well in my workflow (makes me WAY more productive and is so easy to use) I find Alfred is a step breaker. Wanna delete 5 files in an obscure folder? Hit Cmd+Space, type your query, select the files in a buffer via a keyboard shortcut, hit tab, start typing delete then enter. And your done. 5 sec. Can you do that kind of thing with Spotlight? This is a basic example. You can do so MUCH more. Faster and in a easier way than with Spotlight.

For a more visual answer, check these videos on Vimeo.

HTH.

So from what I understand is, first you have to create a workflow for the Alfred to work. I thought it comes readymade with all the features. How does a normal person work around this who does not have any development knowledge ! The biggest thing that bothers me is, when compared to something like a APP called "FOUND" which miraculosly searches for files even in your Cloud Storage like Dropbox etc...I beleiev Alfred does not do that right ? Can alfred find files from my cloud storage service provider and also my Yahoo and Gmails ?

Hi Guys,

I am new to Alfred, I just recently came across quite a few recommendations from various websites and reviews mentioned there on this interesting APP. Though I have some initial idea on what Alfred does. Still I am not able to figure out or understand how is it gonna be different from the MAC OS X "Spotlight" because even Spotlight seems to be doing very much the same thing Already that Alfred promises to do, so how is Alfred different and what does it do more than what MAC OS X Spotlight does not do ? As a first time user, I am just trying to understand how can this APP help me ? :) Does anyone here maybe the Admin, Moderators or the Founder of this APP do you guys have like a comparison sheet between what the MAC OS X Spotlight does and what does Alfred do in addition to that ? Also if you guys have any video showing the remarkable features of Alfred it would be more easier to understand.

Thanks

The intention of Alfred (and other launchers) is to allow you to control your computer from the keyboard. The basic stuff includes:

- Stuff like Spotlight (launch applications, open files, enter calculations).

- File manipulation (list files in directories, delete files, etc.).

- Web searches (Wikipedia, IMDB, Amazon, etc.)

- Search contacts

- Clipboard history

- iTunes player

- System command (empty trash, eject disk, quit app, etc.)

At it's simplest it's Spotlight+. It's faster for launching apps, it's more configurable, and if you buy the power pack you can take it to the next level.

You don't have to know how to program to use workflows. Take a look at http://www.packal.org for workflows that other people have built and shared.

Pre-existing workflows let you search various sites and get search results back in the Alfred window, create quick notes or reminders, toggle bluetooth and many other things.

Will you be able to create an Alfred client for Dropbox+Yahoo+Gmail+... without any dev skills I wont gonna lie to you, no you won't be able to do it.

The last company I heard of that did what you are looking for hit the deadpool.

So as of now Alfred does not do this right ? It cannot find my desired files into my any Cloud Storage Service or Yahoo Mail ? I just read a post here where someone was saying he made a workflow for that...So was confirming again.

If what you are looking for is being able to search all your accounts (cloud storage+mail) from Alfred in ONE query the answer is no. 

Just like with Spotlight, you can't launch Spotlight, type your query and get results from all your local+online accounts.

Or I missed something.

What is important is you can't do it in ONE time.

BUT if you want to search your in your Dropbox files, you can do it. There is a workflow for that. 

BUT if you want to search your in your Gmail account, you can do it. There is a workflow for that.

What I mean is if you want to search in your Dropbox and in your Gmail accounts you will have to use two workflows one AFTER the other.

I haven't seen any Alfred workflow for Yahoo mail.