Web search with Alfred create new tab or new window randomly

I use google search with Alfred, but after I press 'Enter', sometime the searched content shows up in a new tab in Safari, which is what I prefer. But sometime a new window of safari is created without any reason. What should I do to avoid a new window? I've already set in the preference of Safari 'Open pages in tab instead of windows' to be 'Always'.

I use google search with Alfred, but after I press 'Enter', sometime the searched content shows up in a new tab in Safari, which is what I prefer. But sometime a new window of safari is created without any reason. What should I do to avoid a new window? I've already set in the preference of Safari 'Open pages in tab instead of windows' to be 'Always'.

This is actually something that isn't controlled by Alfred. Alfred hands the url off to OS X to open it. This would be the equivalent of you typing 'open http://google.com' from the terminal. I would think that, OS X should only create a new window if one doesn't exist. Otherwise, it should normally just create a new tab. In my testing, I opened a URL about 15 times and every time, a new tab was created. This was tested in Yosemite DP 5.

I'm using 10.9.4 and I agree the new window is created in a rare case, and is hard to reproduce.

But in the case that a new window is created, the new window is created again if I close the new window and search the same keywords with Alfred. However a new tab is created instead if I search different keywords.

By 'randomly' I actually mean it depends on the content you search. I just don't know how to reproduce it.

Edited by newton108

I'm using 10.9.4 and I agree the new window is created in a rare case, and is hard to reproduce.

But in the case that a new window is created, the new window is created again if I close the new window and search the same keywords with Alfred. However a new tab is created instead if I search different keywords.

By 'randomly' I actually mean it depends on the content you search. I just don't know how to reproduce it.

That seems strange. As mentioned, this is handled by OS X though and isn't under Alfred's control. If you do find a way to reproduce it though, please let me know. I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

That seems strange. As mentioned, this is handled by OS X though and isn't under Alfred's control. If you do find a way to reproduce it though, please let me know. I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

I think I just found a way to reproduce it.

The issue occur when you first type something in the address bar of the Safari, without press enter.

Then use web search in Alfred, I won't create new tab in Safari, a new window is created instead.

I think I just found a way to reproduce it.

The issue occur when you first type something in the address bar of the Safari, without press enter.

Then use web search in Alfred, I won't create new tab in Safari, a new window is created instead.

Hey there,

As David said, this behaviour is controlled by Safari and not Alfred. You could always try changing Safari's Tabs preferences to "Open pages in tabs instead of windows: Always" to see if that helps.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 months later...

I decided to move from a browser shortcut solution to Alfred and I'm hitting the same issue. I tried to set "Open pages in tabs instead of windows:" to  "Always" but it made no difference. For some mysterious reason, it will randomly open a new window.

​I have a suspicion this might be related to dual-monitor setups or my displaylink adapter.

Edited by wombat2k