Here's another little tool I've just whipped up:
Get an instant list of the current time in various cities around the world. Which you can customize, of course.
- Main keyword: tz (for TimeZones) - this just shows the World Clock list (seen above). (Select a city for a Large Type display.)
- To remove a city from the list - option-select it.
- To add a new city - timezone add Name of City
- To update all cities' timezone offset information - timezone update
- To look up the time in a place without storing it (custom loookup), just keep typing the place name after the initial tz (eg. tz timbuktu)
- To move the location of your stored city list - timezone move
This workflow saves a list of your cities and their UTC offsets locally, so the basic world clock will display instantly. Adding new city information is done via an API call to Google
Wolfram Alpha. The only downside to locally cached offsets is that there's no provision for automatically updating for Daylight Savings changes, but a manual timezone update will refresh all the cities with their current offset.
Enjoy. As usual, I welcome comments, bug reports, feature requests, etc.
28 March 2013 - UPDATE to v1.5
- Major rewrite - now uses Google Maps APIs, which should be a lot more reliable and consistent.
- Flag icons! Bit of eye candy, courtesy of http://www.free-country-flags.com (and managed to squeeze flags for every country in the world into just over 400k - thank you TinyPNG )
- More detail retrieved and displayed, including timezone name, country, etc.
- When doing a full "update", a text file is saved to your Desktop summarising any changes found.
- General enhancement and tweaks.
PLEASE NOTE: Because this version stores its data substantially different to previous versions, it will create a new timezones.txt file with default cities. However, it will attempt to save your old timezones.txt file to your Desktop, so you should be able to rebuild your previous list without too much hassle.
A quick note about the flags: The workflow simply compares the retrieved name of the country and does a simple name match against the workflow's local repository of flag icons. From my testing, it's working very well, but I'd appreciate it if you'd report back if you find any countries that don't properly match a flag icon. Cheers.
31 March 2013 - UPDATE to v1.6
- New feature: Custom lookups. Just keep typing a new place name after the tz keyword to look up the time in a place without saving it to your saved list.
- Added support for phyllisstein's Alleyoop auto-updater.
- [EXPERIMENTAL] - support for autocomplete for adding place names (timezone add). You'll need to add a keyword yourself to the script filter if you want to try it out. The reason I haven't enabled it by default is that I've found it kind of slow and I'm not sure it's actually an improvement over the current method. Let me know what you think.
[Add a keyword to this script filter if you'd like to try it out]
- Novelty: Added (unofficial) Antarctica flag to flag repository. (Try tz south pole. )
2 April 2013 — UPDATE to v1.61
- Small fix for Dutch (Netherlands) flag matching.
22 March 2014 — UPDATE to v1.7
- City List now always shows in the same order. (Achieved by removing “uid” parameter.)
- Removed Alleyoop updater.
Edited by CarlosNZ, 22 March 2014 - 09:27 AM.