Alfred and PopClip - deleting clipboard history bug (plus a suggestion)

frofa

I have run into the same problem that is already discussed in the knowledge base, namely that Alfred and PopClip do not work together nicely. That's because PopClip triggers a cmd-c event, so when you double-click on a text, Alfred will think you want to append that text to what is currently in the clipboard. Sometimes I had the problem that the clipboard history is deleted then, too, which is certainly not what I want. Could you have a look into this problem? 

Secondly, I think it would help a lot if Alfred had a preference to let the user set another "hotkey" combo for the "append to keyboard" feature. I'd possibly go for cmd+< or something like that, or C with some other modifiers such as cmd+alt+C. This would not be triggered by PopClip, and would improve the personalization of Alfred at the same time. 

When you say "The clipboard history is deleted" are you referring to a single item, or Alfred's whole clipboard history content? The latter certainly shouldn't be happening! When Alfred appends one clipboard item to the previous one, it replaces the original item in the clipboard history.

Alfred can't use a different hotkey, as he watches the standard OS X clipboard (which uses Cmd + C) to store in the clipboard history.

As you've probably already read, we've previously discussed Alfred & PopClip's interaction with PopClip's creator Nick Moore; He's aware that PopClip can give grief to clipboard managers like Alfred's, so this is out of our control.

Your best bet is to disable Alfred's merging if you wish to continue using PopClip to avoid any surprise behaviour :)

When you say "The clipboard history is deleted" are you referring to a single item, or Alfred's whole clipboard history content? The latter certainly shouldn't be happening! When Alfred appends one clipboard item to the previous one, it replaces the original item in the clipboard history.

Alfred can't use a different hotkey, as he watches the standard OS X clipboard (which uses Cmd + C) to store in the clipboard history.

As you've probably already read, we've previously discussed Alfred & PopClip's interaction with PopClip's creator Nick Moore; He's aware that PopClip can give grief to clipboard managers like Alfred's, so this is out of our control.

Your best bet is to disable Alfred's merging if you wish to continue using PopClip to avoid any surprise behaviour :)

About the deletion: What I mean is the full clipboard history. After "merging" sometimes there is only one item left in the "history", which contains the merged last two items, but the others are gone. In my eyes, the clipboard history can never be empty (or contain only one item) on a computer where the user works with the clipboard (and who doesn't?). It should always have the maximum number of items, which accumulate there until overwritten with newer ones. 

As to the hotkey, I don't know how Alfred handles this internally. What I meant is that _merging_ should have a separate hotkey, not "normal" copying. I think this should be possible, as Alfred could be made to act on the clipboard content after any keystroke. Similarly to alt-cmd-C which displays the history, e.g. cmd-< could trigger merging, couldn't it? As a solution I could think of:

cmd-< (or whatever the user chooses) emulates one cmd-C to get the marked text and put it into the clipboard, then merge the first and the second item in the clipboard, and write the result back to the clipboard and the history. 

Of course I could just switch off the merging (that's the workaround I am using right now), but isn't it a pity to give up 

a nice and useful feature of Alfred just because the interplay with another program is a bit tricky to handle?

About the deletion: What I mean is the full clipboard history. After "merging" sometimes there is only one item left in the "history", which contains the merged last two items, but the others are gone. In my eyes, the clipboard history can never be empty (or contain only one item) on a computer where the user works with the clipboard (and who doesn't?). It should always have the maximum number of items, which accumulate there until overwritten with newer ones. 

As to the hotkey, I don't know how Alfred handles this internally. What I meant is that _merging_ should have a separate hotkey, not "normal" copying. I think this should be possible, as Alfred could be made to act on the clipboard content after any keystroke. Similarly to alt-cmd-C which displays the history, e.g. cmd-< could trigger merging, couldn't it? As a solution I could think of:

cmd-< (or whatever the user chooses) emulates one cmd-C to get the marked text and put it into the clipboard, then merge the first and the second item in the clipboard, and write the result back to the clipboard and the history. 

Of course I could just switch off the merging (that's the workaround I am using right now), but isn't it a pity to give up 

a nice and useful feature of Alfred just because the interplay with another program is a bit tricky to handle?

Alfred doesn't perform any actions that would cause the full clipboard history to disappear, no matter how you use merging.

Are you using any app cleaner or uninstaller type apps that could be deleting cache files behind the scenes, resulting in Alfred's clipboard history database being removed? Anything like AppCleaner, MacKeeper, etc could be the root problem for this.