Improve code editor

DevMan

Hey!

It would be nice if you could add syntax highlighting, line numbers and probably themes into the workflow "Run Script" window.

I do believe it's not so difficult to implement.

Thanks in advance.

The main reason I have avoided turning Alfred's editors into fully featured editors is that this could become a very deep rabbit hole. Instead, I recommend that for more complex scripts, you simply use the editor box to bootstrap to a script which is stored within that workflow's folder. This way, you can use your favourite editor or IDE to create your workflow and as Alfred runs scripts with pwd as ./ the script will just work.

Cheers,

Andrew

I totally agree with you, it's not necessary to turn editor into fully featured code editor.

But, periodically you slightly modify workflow script, run workflow and get something like "syntax error at line 33" just because you miss brace or something like this.

In other words having line numbers at least would be great.

In any way thank you for the response and such great product!

I totally agree with you, it's not necessary to turn editor into fully featured code editor.

But, periodically you slightly modify workflow script, run workflow and get something like "syntax error at line 33" just because you miss brace or something like this.
In other words having line numbers at least would be great.

In any way thank you for the response and such great product!

I'll deffo add a note to look into adding line numbers, I agree! :)

• 1 year later...

I find the packaging a little tricky.

Storing the script in a separate file is easier for version control, github browsing, and packaging up the final product.

But storing the script in the workflow itself makes the experience from the workflow view much better.

Could there be a way to modify the way a script is referenced in the UI so this distinction is lessened. Then adding a feature like a line numbers wouldn't feel like a rabbit hole