Search inside specific file types

Good afternoon (at least where I am) everyone!

I posted to the @alfredapp Twitter, and was directed here, so here goes :)

I need to be able to search inside specific file types for content. For example, my most used file types are XML. I have TONS of XML files that are used for various things (a web application) and there are always examples I am searching for withing older files, for use in new ones.

The standard "in" keyword works so well it has become a crutch. However, I get more file-types than I am interested in, as many of the search terms are generic (like the word "custom")

I have created a Filter for XML and that works great for file NAMES.

How do I extend this to search INSIDE those files?

"XML Custom" returns all of the XML files with the name "Custom" somewhere in the filename.

Is there such a way as to do "XML in Custom"? or "in XML Custom"?

many thanks for such a powerfully useful app!!!!!

~vonKemper

Good afternoon (at least where I am) everyone!

I posted to the @alfredapp Twitter, and was directed here, so here goes :)

I need to be able to search inside specific file types for content. For example, my most used file types are XML. I have TONS of XML files that are used for various things (a web application) and there are always examples I am searching for withing older files, for use in new ones.

The standard "in" keyword works so well it has become a crutch. However, I get more file-types than I am interested in, as many of the search terms are generic (like the word "custom")

I have created a Filter for XML and that works great for file NAMES.

How do I extend this to search INSIDE those files?

"XML Custom" returns all of the XML files with the name "Custom" somewhere in the filename.

Is there such a way as to do "XML in Custom"? or "in XML Custom"?

many thanks for such a powerfully useful app!!!!!

~vonKemper

Hi there, thanks for the kind words!  :)

You can create a very simple file filter for searching inside of XML files for this purpose... I've thrown together a simple example with keyword 'inxml' which should get you started:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6749767/Alfred/Workflows/Search%20in%20XML.alfredworkflow

This has been configured to only look inside of XML files, not by filename. Let me know how you get on with this :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Hey Andrew! Thank you for the quick response!

I am unable to import the workflow, however.

I have tried the "Drop Here" method... the + -> Import method (file is grayed out and unselectable) as well as the double-click -> open with application (Alfred is grayed out).

Any advice??

Hey Andrew! Thank you for the quick response!

I am unable to import the workflow, however.

I have tried the "Drop Here" method... the + -> Import method (file is grayed out and unselectable) as well as the double-click -> open with application (Alfred is grayed out).

Any advice??

Hi Chad,

Make sure you're using Alfred v2 from our website (http://alfredapp.com) It sounds like you might still be running Alfred v1.

In fact, I can see that your license dates from v1, so you can upgrade to v2 at a discount here:

https://buy.alfredapp.com/upgrade

Cheers,

Vero

Dood!! Awesome!

now... I just need to know how to uninstall v1?

I have downloaded v2, paid for the v2 PowerPack and i have run the Import tool.

i didnt have anything really tweaky in v1, so there should be little left that didnt auto-import. so is it safe to just drag v1 to the trash?

thank you again!!

~vonKemper

Dood!! Awesome!

now... I just need to know how to uninstall v1?

I have downloaded v2, paid for the v2 PowerPack and i have run the Import tool.

i didnt have anything really tweaky in v1, so there should be little left that didnt auto-import. so is it safe to just drag v1 to the trash?

thank you again!!

~vonKemper

If you've run the importer and you're happy that you've got everything you need in v2, yes, you can just quit Alfred v1 and drag it to trash. (Top tip: Don't use an app uninstaller/zapper tool, as these may delete some of your v2 settings too). 

Once you're all up and running with v2, take a look at some of the truly fantastic workflows some Alfred users have built - between the forum and http://packal.org, you'll have plenty to choose from.

And of course, once you've taken a look at Andrew's file filter workflow, let us know if you have any questions! :)