Restart resets Alfred

aldente

Whenever I restart my Mac Alfred forgets all my personal keystrokes (Hotkeys).

Not sure, but I think this is since the update to yosemite (yes, I already have 10.10.1)

Hi there, could you please fill in the Powerpack email address field with a valid email address? The one you've entered isn't registered. Once you've provided these details, let me know and I'll be happy to help :)

Hi Vero

Where would you like me to post this email adress?

If you go to your user profile, you'll see "Edit my profile". Once you've clicked on this, fill in the Powerpack email address field. If you can't locate it, pop an email to info@alfredapp com and I'll be happy to help.

Once you've done this, reply to the thread and we'll go from there :)

I am having a related issue. Every couple days the "Appearance" changes back from OS X Yosemite (my selection) to Light (default), and the Alfred Hotkey changes back from command-space (my selection) to option-space (default).

Are you syncing your settings? If so, where? If you're using Dropbox, please avoid the ~/Dropbox/Apps/ folder as it has been known to cause issues.

I would suggest resetting your permissions (Launch Disk Utility > Repair Disk Permissions) and checking that no "cleaner" apps like AppCleaner or similar are deleting your settings.

Let me know how you get on :)

• 4 weeks later...

Are you syncing your settings? If so, where? If you're using Dropbox, please avoid the ~/Dropbox/Apps/ folder as it has been known to cause issues.

I would suggest resetting your permissions (Launch Disk Utility > Repair Disk Permissions) and checking that no "cleaner" apps like AppCleaner or similar are deleting your settings.

Let me know how you get on :)

Thanks for the tips. I repaired disk permissions and there was an Alfred item listed. It seemed to be ok for a week but the issue recurred tonight. I checked permissions again and they were ok.

The syncing is in ~/Dropbox/Application Data/Alfred

Is this the problem folder? I can try storing the settings locally and seeing if the problem recurs.

It seems most prominent when I am switching monitors -- going from my dual monitors at work where I run the Macbook Pro in closed clamshell mode to just using the laptop on its own, or vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem recurred for me today as well. I still have the data in Dropbox at ~/Dropbox/Application Data/Alfred. Is this the problem folder or is this ok? How do I avoid the problem?

I again tried to repair permissions but no Alfred files appeared to repair.

I moved the preferences to ~/Documents/Alfred/. Alfred restarted and then I went to the Appearance setting to turn back to the Yosemite setting. However, it was already selected?!

Did you move the preferences using the sync settings in Alfred's Advanced preferences (not manually)?

If you restart Alfred, does the sync folder location still show correctly?

Yes, I moved them from within Alfred. I quit Alfred and restarted and the sync folder is still the correct (non-Dropbox) one. The appearance still shows Yosemite.

(It took me a second to realize why my keyboard shortcut wouldn't work to launch Alfred while it was closed!)

Yes, I moved them from within Alfred. I quit Alfred and restarted and the sync folder is still the correct (non-Dropbox) one. The appearance still shows Yosemite.

(It took me a second to realize why my keyboard shortcut wouldn't work to launch Alfred while it was closed!)

Now that the folder is set to ~/Documents (and your actual settings are still sitting safe in dropbox), can you try quitting Alfred and deleting Alfred.alfredpreferences from ~/Documents then start Alfred again. You should now see a default setup of Alfred... if so, can you check if things are working correctly. This will help us understand if there is an issue or corruption in your Alfred.alfredpreferences which you have been using previously.

Also, can you show me the output of the following two commands in Terminal.app:

defaults read com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2

defaults read com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences

Thanks,

Andrew

I followed your directions to the default setup of Alfred. I set the appearance to Pistachio so it will be obvious if it changes.

Here are the terminal outputs:

$ defaults read com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-2

{

"appearance.screen" = 0;

lastBuildNumber = 308;

}

$ defaults read com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred-Preferences

{

NSNavLastRootDirectory = "~/Documents/Alfred";

NSNavPanelExpandedSizeForOpenMode = "{800, 542}";

"NSToolbar Configuration com.apple.NSColorPanel" =     {

"TB Is Shown" = 1;

};

"NSWindow Frame alfredpreferences" = "601 359 1238 663 0 0 1920 1057 ";

"appearance.theme" = "alfred.theme.custom.3322FBD9-B4DB-4E13-89AD-EA256241BFF8";

"features.1password.enabled" = 1;

"features.clipboard.enabled" = 1;

"hotkey.default" =     {

key = 49;

mod = 1048576;

string = Space;

};

lastTab = appearance;

lastTabBuild = 308;

lastTabTS = "442448976.054023";

syncfolder = "~/Documents/Alfred";

version = "2.5.1";

}

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I would like to echo everyone with a *similar* problem. I have just updated my macbook pro (late 2012) from OSX 10.8.5 to 10.10.2 today. I was appalled by the new Spotlight and so I quickly found Alfred after reading a few articles on the Internet. Initially I was having the same preference woes, until I did a disk permissions check and repair with Disk Utility. Since then, my preferences are working.

My persisting problem is that while the preferences *are* being saved on the **principal login account** (administrator privileges), they are *not* being saved on my secondary login account (equally with administrator privileges). Unfortunately for me, where I need Alfred the **most** is on this second login user.

I tried finding all the Alfred program files on the principal user account, using AppDelete, and then copying them into the local file structure of my secondary user account, but that doesn't fix the issue either.

Primary user account : works like a charm -- this is soo much better than the new Spotlight !

Secondary user account : can't save the prefs!! I can change them and use Alfred durring a session, but once I Log Out or Restart, then the next time I Log In, Alfred has reseted itself.

And of course, Yes, I also ran disk permissions on the secondary user login account too, but that didn't work (as it did when I ran it on the primary user login account).

running 10.10.2 with Alfred v2.6(374)

Edited by jeanloup

Hello Everyone,

After a morning of hunting around the Internet, I have found what I believe to be a suitable fix for my own problem -- and it appears that Alfred 2 has less to do with the problem than I had thought. In fact, it appears that when migrating from older versions of OSX to Yosemite, the Permissions go a little wonky. Ultimately, I found this thread.

While the user Linc Davis details an elaborate way of fixing permissions in Yosemite, another user had suggested to boot in Recovery Mode via Command (⌘)-R and then run Repair Permissions via Disk Utility. Because this seemed like the easier option, I decided to try this *first* to see if it would work. And it has for me.

Now I can log into both User accounts and use Alfred with the saved preferences. So it appears to me to be maybe a Yosemite--or upgrade path from older osx TO Yosemite--problem here, and not an Alfred problem.

Alfred 2 is awesome !!

kindest regards,

Jean-Loup

Edited by jeanloup

• 7 months later...

I'm having this issue as of updating to El Capitan. Since repair permissions is not required in El Capitan, I can't try that trick. 

I don't sync my settings. I've tried deleting my preferences and recreating them. Still seeing Alfred preferences getting wiped out after every restart. It's not only Alfred but that's the most annoying for me.

I'm having this issue as of updating to El Capitan. Since repair permissions is not required in El Capitan, I can't try that trick. 

I don't sync my settings. I've tried deleting my preferences and recreating them. Still seeing Alfred preferences getting wiped out after every restart. It's not only Alfred but that's the most annoying for me.

You can reset the permissions on Alfred's preferences package from within Terminal.app.

Firstly, quit Alfred 2, then using the following commands in Terminal, replace "preppeller" with your username... 

chown -R preppeller:staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/*

xattr -rc ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/*

chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX ~/Library/Application\ Support/Alfred\ 2/*

chown preppeller:staff ~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred*

xattr -rc ~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred*

chmod 600 ~/Library/Preferences/com.runningwithcrayons.Alfred*

For anybody who has setup syncing, we also need to reset for the Alfred.alfredpreferences in the sync folder. I use an Alfred folder within Dropbox, so resetting my synced preferences look like this:

chown -R preppeller:staff ~/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences

xattr -rc ~/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences

chmod -R u+rwX,go+rX ~/Dropbox/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences

Replace ~/Dropbox/Alfred/ with the location of your synced files.

You should get no errors on any of these commands above.

Restart your Mac and let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,

Andrew