Won't show content from Dropbox folder

I have problems getting Alfred to show results from my Dropbox folder.

In Default Reseults I have "Include folders in Home" selected and even added my Dropbox folder to the Search Scope (~/Dropbox).

When I invoke Alfred, press space (to search for a file/folder), it doesn't show any of the content from the Dropbox folder.

Any suggestions?

I have problems getting Alfred to show results from my Dropbox folder.

In Default Reseults I have "Include folders in Home" selected and even added my Dropbox folder to the Search Scope (~/Dropbox).

When I invoke Alfred, press space (to search for a file/folder), it doesn't show any of the content from the Dropbox folder.

Any suggestions?

Hi Simon,

Dropbox files should be found, so could you give an example of what file name you're searching for and with what keyword? And can some Dropbox files be found or are none found at all within the Dropbox scope? 

As with any files on your Mac, they need to be correctly indexed by OS X, so check they're not included in the Spotlight Privacy tab. Then launch Alfred's preferences to the Advanced tab and click "Rebuild OS X Metadata" to rebuild your Mac's index. 

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,

Vero

Ah, I didn't know it had to be indexed by Spotlight. Once I removed Dropbox from the Spotlight Privacy tab it worked. Thanks!

I've put it in the Spotlight Privacy tab for a reason:

I use my computer for both work and private and would like to split the two things up. I've therefore (tried to) split it up so I use Spotlight for work and Alfred for private. My Dropbox is where I keep my private stuff and Google Drive is where all work-related documents are stored. Is there any way to reach this split?

Ah, I didn't know it had to be indexed by Spotlight. Once I removed Dropbox from the Spotlight Privacy tab it worked. Thanks!

I've put it in the Spotlight Privacy tab for a reason:

I use my computer for both work and private and would like to split the two things up. I've therefore (tried to) split it up so I use Spotlight for work and Alfred for private. My Dropbox is where I keep my private stuff and Google Drive is where all work-related documents are stored. Is there any way to reach this split?

An alternative way to split work and home would be to create filters; Create a file filter for work and include all the relevant paths to the filter's search scope. You can even give it its own hotkey so that when pressing that hotkey, Alfred pops up the file filter rather than you having to type a keyword. You can then do the same with your home/private stuff, setting a different hotkey or keyword for it.

Here's a tutorial on creating a file filter workflow:

http://blog.alfredapp.com/2014/04/24/tutorial-creating-an-alfred-workflow-without-a-single-line-of-code/

In your case, the difference would be that you don't need to specify file types, you'll only need to specify scopes. :)

Let me know how you get on!

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem with two different computers. It seems like something changed in one of the two places, dropbox or Alfred.

I checked my Spotlight Privacy. It's empty.

I used Spotlight to search for the same file "ws-logo" - Returned multiple results

I used Alfred to find the same files - Returned with Internet search options.

I'm now reindexing.

More to come.

///UPDATE//

Reindexing seemes to have fixed the problem. I'll let you know if it continues.

Edited by JWhiteUX