Search scope and hidden/dotfiles files

I am trying to build workflows where some dotfiles (shell configuration files) are involved.

I've set public.data to file types in my file filter and added public.data to the default results settings in the advanced pane. 

No .bash_profile or .bash_history files appear in my results.

I am trying to build workflows where some dotfiles (shell configuration files) are involved.

I've set public.data to file types in my file filter and added public.data to the default results settings in the advanced pane. 

No .bash_profile or .bash_history files appear in my results.

I believe OS X doesn't index dot files. To get to these files though, you just need to type ~ into Alfred, then . and it will show you the dot files for that folder in the file system navigation :)

@Andrew 

I asked the question on Askdifferent and here is the answer:

Using the mdfind command which queries the Spotlight Database I have to say no because the tests I performed would indicate so. In a Terminal using mdfind -name .bash_history as well as subsequent commands changing the .filename portion of the command, mdfind did not return the specific file names while only returning filenames that contained the .filename portion within where applicable.
  • 3 weeks later...

You might be interested in this thread, where we talk about using locate and find to work with hidden files and directories.

I've written a couple of workflows that index hidden files that you could perhaps bend to your purpose. Alfred Sublime Text is basically a File Filter for one filetype on steroids. It uses locate, mdfind and (optionally) find to find every .sublime-project file on your system, with optional wildcard patterns to ignore certain results.

That won't work for something like git repos (it'll find all submodules, too, and any vim/Sublime Text/Atom plugins installed via git). So Alfred Repos uses find to build a database of git repos, but can require fairly careful user configuration, so find isn't traversing huge file trees or any submodules.