Can't Find the Remote [Resolved]

Hello,

I have gone through all the steps to make sure I'm all on the same network, restarts and so on. The problem is that both iOS devices I have connect right up, but the server can't find either of the remotes. 

Hi there,

Could you please answer the following 5 questions, this will aid me in identifying where your issue might be:

http://support.alfredapp.com/remote:troubleshooting-questions

Cheers,

Andrew

Sorry I thought I did answer these questions with my post.

1. Yes. All the same network, subnet, router, etc.

2. Office, but not restricted.

3. All devices have been restarted.

4. iOS devices can see Alfred. Alfred cannot see iOS devices.

5. Nothing else is running.

Sorry I thought I did answer these questions with my post.

1. Yes. All the same network, subnet, router, etc.

2. Office, but not restricted.

3. All devices have been restarted.

4. iOS devices can see Alfred. Alfred cannot see iOS devices.

5. Nothing else is running.

For question 1, could you please provide the IP addresses and subnets of the devices so I can see if there could potentially be a VLAN issue.

For question 2, if it's an office network, there is a chance that the devices are on a different VLAN or have wifi isolation. Question 1 may help answer this.

Thanks,

Andrew

FYI. I have tried to connect Alfred and Alfred remote via the hotspot on my phone and I have the same issue.

Seems like an issue with the desktop app if I had to guess, but that doesn't mean much.

To rule out possible Bonjour issues, have you tried setting up a Direct Connection? To do this, set your Remote to connect to the IP address of your Mac. You can do this by tapping the "Add" button in Alfred Remote, then choosing "Direct" in the top right of the connection screen.

More details in step 4 here:

http://support.alfredapp.com/tutorials:setting-up-remote

Let me know how you get on :)

Direct connection does work. So if that means it's a Bonjour issue how do I fix that? I work on lots of networks so direct seems like it would get messy after a while.

You may just find that your office network is blocking broadcast / multicast which would stop OS X's bonjour from operating.

Have you tried (from scratch) on your home network?

You may just find that your office network is blocking broadcast / multicast which would stop OS X's bonjour from operating.

Have you tried (from scratch) on your home network?

Yes sir. I've tried home and work with the same results.

Yes sir. I've tried home and work with the same results.

You are definitely correct that it's a Bonjour issue, but I'm not sure what could be causing it.

I wonder, could you temporarily create a new user account on your Mac, quit Alfred, switch accounts and try from there? There may be something on your primary account which is interfering with Bonjour operating.

Cheers,

Andrew

You are definitely correct that it's a Bonjour issue, but I'm not sure what could be causing it.

I wonder, could you temporarily create a new user account on your Mac, quit Alfred, switch accounts and try from there? There may be something on your primary account which is interfering with Bonjour operating.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sorry for the delay. I've been swamped. I'll try that and get back with my findings.

Tried a new account and it's acting the same way. Same networks, iPad finds it quick but desktop just keeps searching.

I just had a thought, when the iPad shows the Mac, have you selected the Mac (tapped it) on the iPad to get it to connect to your Mac?

Aaanndd there's the problem. Who knew it was an ID10T error all along. Thanks for your help.

I'm going to make this more clear in the next release as a few other users have had this same issue... so it's more of a UX problem, not you!

Cheers,

Andrew

I'm going to make this more clear in the next release as a few other users have had this same issue... so it's more of a UX problem, not you!

Cheers,

Andrew

Well that makes me feel a little better. It's dumb that I must've figured that out the first time I connected the devices, but couldn't do it the second time. Thanks  for your help!